PDA

View Full Version : Center console Long Shot...Group Buy?

NSXGB
28-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm trying to fit a double DIN head unit in my NSX and wanted to avoid butchering the OEM one for my install. I did find a centre console with blanked out stereo in RHD but that was supplied only by Dali...:(

So, not being able to source one from anywhere else I went to SOS and they said they could manufacture a RHD console for us (I think they would use DF but not 100% on that). The down side would be that they would need a donor centre console and a minimum run of 15 units.

I think it's a huge long shot that there will be 15 people on this site that would be interested but I thought I'd ask.....

Not got as far as asking what the final price would be, just thought I'd gauge interest. I sent them a link to the Dali one, so I presume it would be around the $120-150 in a FRP finish ready for painting.

Unless anyone knows where Dali get's his from or a UK manufacturer that would be able to do this economically?

Kevin
28-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Dali gets his from a little mexican man that knocks up CF pieces.

I think you will find that the SoS one is an overlay piece on top of your original. The hardest part of the piece is making the underside with the mounting tabs. SoS workaround is therefore to fit an overlay onto the OEM one so that the mounting tabs are still there.

Lankstarr
28-01-2009, 12:35 PM
You could try Bert in thailand... I'm sur eit was on his list of to -dos, but he my also need a donor console to get the ball rolling.

Bert Tachapanich [bertsupra@yahoo.com]

NSXGB
28-01-2009, 01:27 PM
You could try Bert in thailand... I'm sur eit was on his list of to -dos, but he my also need a donor console to get the ball rolling.

Bert Tachapanich [bertsupra@yahoo.com]

Will shoot him a mail...

Dali gets his from a little mexican man that knocks up CF pieces.

Any contact details or other distributors?

I think you will find that the SoS one is an overlay piece on top of your original. The hardest part of the piece is making the underside with the mounting tabs. SoS workaround is therefore to fit an overlay onto the OEM one so that the mounting tabs are still there.

I was under the impression that they wanted a donor console to make a pattern from to produce them not a donor console to modify....or have I missed your point?

Sudesh
28-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm trying to fit a double DIN head unit in my NSX and wanted to avoid butchering the OEM one for my install. I did find a centre console with blanked out stereo in RHD but that was supplied only by Dali...:(

So, not being able to source one from anywhere else I went to SOS and they said they could manufacture a RHD console for us (I think they would use DF but not 100% on that). The down side would be that they would need a donor centre console and a minimum run of 15 units.

I think it's a huge long shot that there will be 15 people on this site that would be interested but I thought I'd ask.....

Not got as far as asking what the final price would be, just thought I'd gauge interest. I sent them a link to the Dali one, so I presume it would be around the $120-150 in a FRP finish ready for painting.

Unless anyone knows where Dali get's his from or a UK manufacturer that would be able to do this economically?

It maybe worth going the opposite direction and trying to source a second RHD OEM console and have it adapted to fit the double din head unit.

A few of the reasons why I would think about going that direction is:

1. It could be difficult to get 15 members here to go with it as alot of people are very particular with staying OEM.

2. Because the aftermarket head units are obviously different sizes; if you make one console to suit that certain size/head unit then your limited with choice.

3. Also depending on what head unit you choose you are limiting yourself to specific design, for example. On most double din head units the screen slides down or pops up or folds back in some direction to allow access to the CD/SD Slot or usb port etc, if the console hasnt been adapted correctly, the features I mentioned may not work or get caught on the console. Again this feature can be different on every headunit so your limiting yourself to specific models. Also you need to think about if you want the head unit to be flush mounted or is it going to be sticking out to which looks dreadful. And finally alot of the headunits have an automatic tilt feature so you can just press a button and the screen tilts forward and backwards, this is basically to adjust for loss of vision if the sun is shining on the screen, again if the console is adapted right this feature could catch the console.

NSXGB
28-01-2009, 04:25 PM
It maybe worth going the opposite direction and trying to source a second RHD OEM console and have it adapted to fit the double din head unit.

A few of the reasons why I would think about going that direction is:

1. It could be difficult to get 15 members here to go with it as alot of people are very particular with staying OEM.

I have placed a wanted already, the thing I did not want to muck around doing though was fibre glassing up the existing hole. The existing cut out is wider at the top than the unit I'm putting in.

With regard to getting 15 members....that's why I called it a long shot!
I want a second console so that if and when I come to sell, I can put it back to OEM....

2. Because the aftermarket head units are obviously different sizes; if you make one console to suit that certain size/head unit then your limited with choice.

What I'm proposing is a blank centre console where you cut out the exact size and shape you like....just like the Dali one mentioned above....

3. Also depending on what head unit you choose you are limiting yourself to specific design, for example. On most double din head units the screen slides down or pops up or folds back in some direction to allow access to the CD/SD Slot or usb port etc, if the console hasnt been adapted correctly, the features I mentioned may not work or get caught on the console. Again this feature can be different on every headunit so your limiting yourself to specific models. Also you need to think about if you want the head unit to be flush mounted or is it going to be sticking out to which looks dreadful. And finally alot of the headunits have an automatic tilt feature so you can just press a button and the screen tilts forward and backwards, this is basically to adjust for loss of vision if the sun is shining on the screen, again if the console is adapted right this feature could catch the console.

See above, blank centre console, you can do what you like to suit your head unit....

Sudesh
28-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Ah right! Your looking for a console where the head unit hole, is actully filled in/complete, so then you cut it out to your own requiremnets.

That still would take some very careful skill and measurements to make it fit certin head units etc.

I'm pretty handy around most things, but I certinally wouldnt attempt it myself. As mentioned I already have the double din unit fitted in my car, flush mounted with a slight forward tilt its easier to read, and after weighing many things up I ended up taking it, to a place that does custom installs for ice equipment.

I also had my ash tray deleted from the install, as the head unit would not have fitted nicely with the ashtray still there. I didnt mind though I never used it anyway and prefer the style of the console now with a smoother cleaner look. I did however adapt a hidden socket from the cigarette lighter wiring, so that it could be used for charging the phone or other devices etc.

I'll keep an eye out for a used console for you.

NSXGB
28-01-2009, 05:03 PM
I have the dimensions for the cut out required for my head unit courtesy of the SOS web site, they would even CNC the cut out if I could supply one. If you look at the pics on their site of the Pioneer AVIC head unit installed it looks really clean IMHO - no unsightly bezel to ruin the lines...this is what I'm ultimately aiming for.

forumadmin
28-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I was under the impression that they wanted a donor console to make a pattern from to produce them not a donor console to modify....or have I missed your point?

Ok, just looked at the site.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/Downforce/center_console/

The console is two pieces. This one in the link, is an injection molded piece. This is the easiest way to keep the mounting tabs. The CF piece is then placed on top for a CF finish. So in essence you will have to have an OEM piece first to make the injection molded piece, then another mold made for a CF trim panel. Or, just have the CF piece made and stick that onto an OEM console. Make sense?

Making the whole thing from CF is not practical. The quality will be rubbish, unless Detlef (Procar) makes it. It the mounting tabs on the reverse side that will be hard to produce.

Try a Google search for injection molders and see if any will make a tool from an existing part.

NSXGB
28-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Ok, just looked at the site.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/Downforce/center_console/

The console is two pieces. This one in the link, is an injection molded piece. This is the easiest way to keep the mounting tabs. The CF piece is then placed on top for a CF finish. So in essence you will have to have an OEM piece first to make the injection molded piece, then another mold made for a CF trim panel. Or, just have the CF piece made and stick that onto an OEM console. Make sense?

Making the whole thing from CF is not practical. The quality will be rubbish, unless Detlef (Procar) makes it. It the mounting tabs on the reverse side that will be hard to produce.

Try a Google search for injection molders and see if any will make a tool from an existing part.

Yes, I get what you mean, there's a good idea there if I can buy a CF piece to overlay the OEM console with the stereo hole deleted although I wasn't really interested in a CF version, I just wanted something I can paint...I know I could paint the CF but that would be a waste...:)

I'll look for a local injection molding company but I think the tooling cost would be prohibitive.....unless there was enough interest.

NSX 2000
28-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm very intrested in this as I have a single Din unit I'm looking to install. I've managed to find some people in Japan, I'll post details later when I can find the site again.

Paul.

NSXGB
29-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Nice one Paul, look forward to seeing what you have found.

DAVEMAT
29-01-2009, 11:59 AM
As I posted in a previous thread, I have a brand new Dali FRP centre console available, if anyones interested, as I ended up using my OEM one for my install.
The finish on it isn't fantastic, it looks as though thay have wrapped it before the coats gone off, but if anyones going to paint it anyway, no problem.
Can't do anything about it until next Wednesday though, as I'm currently trying to fight off heat exhaustion, with a cold beer in the Maldives - bummer

NSXGB
29-01-2009, 12:04 PM
PM Dave. . .

NSX 2000
29-01-2009, 06:28 PM
OK these are some of the sites I found but I can't find the best one!

http://www.robson-design.com/english/honda.htm

http://www.revozport.com/webpics/NSX-R/page_01.htm

http://www.prestigebodykits.com/products/full-carbon-centre-console-nsx-p-293.html

http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/content-categories/cat-399_403/nsx_carbon.html

HTH

Paul

NSXGB
29-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Don't know how that happened there! Please delete SS!

It should have been a link to a CF overlay on ebay not my companies email system!!

britlude
29-01-2009, 11:52 PM
try this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Full-Carbon-Centre-Console-Honda-NSX-NSX-R-stereo-acura_W0QQitemZ170283156221QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q 26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewIt emQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=ite m170283156221&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

nigel
30-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Stop fiddling about and give Chris, Josh or Brian at S.o S. a ring. Look at their site.
They've been selling their own and they're the dogs boll!cks. I've seen one and you won't get screwed around.

Cheers
nigel

NSXGB
30-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Stop fiddling about and give Chris, Josh or Brian at S.o S. a ring. Look at their site.
They've been selling their own and they're the dogs boll!cks. I've seen one and you won't get screwed around.

Cheers
nigel

Nigel, see above, I've been in contact with them and they only sell LHD consoles....i.e. for cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side...:)

Minch
06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Any further news on this? That Pioneer system looks the nuts!!!!!

AR
06-04-2009, 10:32 PM
i am also interested in this as I want to fit some bits in the car. I had a Dali one before and it was not the best fit.

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
07-04-2009, 09:00 AM
i am also interested in this as I want to fit some bits in the car. I had a Dali one before and it was not the best fit.

Cheers,

AR

I'd still be interested. Echo the comments above.

NSX 2000
07-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I need to submit a longer reply to this message as I have looked into this, but I'm busy right now, so will post again later.

Simon (NSXGB) I thought you had sorted your one out now?

Paul.

jonny
07-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm interested too..

Minch
07-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Just been into my local ICE garage and they have two units that will nicely fit a double DIN . . . http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/in-car-navigation-systems-c-61_35.html

The Kenwood and the Zenec are the models that were recommended by my local shop.

NSXGB
07-04-2009, 01:20 PM
I need to submit a longer reply to this message as I have looked into this, but I'm busy right now, so will post again later.

Simon (NSXGB) I thought you had sorted your one out now?

Paul.

I have one in but I think it can be improved upon.

Senninha
07-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I have one in but I think it can be improved upon.

Has anyone been in touch with the Ben(?) who supplied the recent CF group buy with various parts? My understanding is that his products are of the quality most of us would be happy with. His other advantage is that he defaults to RHD models so this hsould ensure good fit for our cars.

regards, Paul

NSXGB
07-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I think you mean Bert. . .
I asked him previously about these, if said he could do it, just needed a donor console. I'm sure he'd do a good job at a reasonable price.

The other two options as I see it are procar and sos.
I've not contacted Procar, I'm sure they could do it they would be very good quality possibly very expensive?

I was in touch with SOS before as mentioned earlier in this thread. I think they would be injection moulded so should be good quality, they would need a donor console too.

Has anyone been in touch with the Ben(?) who supplied the recent CF group buy with various parts? My understanding is that his products are of the quality most of us would be happy with. His other advantage is that he defaults to RHD models so this hsould ensure good fit for our cars.

regards, Paul

AR
07-04-2009, 04:14 PM
OK so who has a crappy console they are willing to either lend/sell to get this going.

Good conmsoles go for £ 100.00 or so.

There has to be more than 10 of us interested, £ 10 a piece and voila. Then is off to find if Bert can do them.

Anyone???

amo
07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
ok ok i have a centre consol that has split in half u can use it no prob
as im going get it repaired comes with ashtry tingyy

thx amo

Minch
07-04-2009, 08:25 PM
What a star :) . . . good man!

NSXGB
07-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I suppose the best course of action would be to tout our trade with Bert, Procar and SOS and see what prices come back. . . .

Minch
07-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Has anyone seen gear produced by Bert? We know the CF from Procar is top knotch and to be honest it has to be as its right in front of your face every time you drive the car!!! By all means get prices but I think I know where I'd prefer to spend my money. I haven't dealt with SOS so can't comment on their gear.

NSX 2000
07-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Hold your horses guys!

Where did they make the NSX?

What side of the road does this country drive on?

Do people in this country mod their cars? Is the pope Catholic?

The problem is only a few people in this club can speak/read Japanese so as much as I try I can't search Japanese websites, but I did ask a man who could.

The picture attached is one he found and the one I really like as you keep the a/c controls and ashtray, but you can then cut your own hole for either a 1din, or 2 din stereo.

Paul.

Minch
08-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Good effort Paul. If we can find one with a matching ash tray cover too that would be ideal!

Senninha
08-04-2009, 08:03 AM
If we know what the interest level is then I have previously spoken to a fabricator here in the UK that may be able to produce the console. I quite like the idea that being in the UK we could test fit and work with supplier to ensure quality/fitment.

regards,

NSXGB
08-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Good effort Paul. If we can find one with a matching ash tray cover too that would be ideal!

I would think that it's either painted right to let you use your OEM ash tray door or you will need to paint the lot.
Would be interested in the quality. . .

NSXGB
08-04-2009, 08:34 AM
For quotation purposes please add your name to the list if you are a definite yes to this possible GB.

1. NSXGB.

Minch
08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Count me in :) . . . if it can be pre-cut for a double DIN unit then all the better!

NSXGB
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
1. NSXGB.
2. Minch.

Papalazarou
08-04-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm in, as long as it's reasonably priced. I really don't want to pay 600 euros a piece. The option of getting them made in the UK appeals.

Cheers,

James.

AR
08-04-2009, 08:22 PM
1. NSXGB.
2. Minch.
3. AR

AR
08-04-2009, 08:23 PM
BTW What do we consider reasonable guys???

I echo James feelings and will add that I for one do not need the ashtray!

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
BTW What do we consider reasonable guys???

I echo James feelings and will add that I for one do not need the ashtray!

Cheers,

AR
I think the LHD SOS one is $399. Not sure how much different it will be from that. I fired SOS back an email from my previous contact with them and they responded saying that they had another customer in Japan interested, so quite promising. Chris will be in contact with hopefully a more exact quote.

Now, ashtray or no ashtray, this could get complicated. . .

AR
08-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I think the LHD SOS one is $399. Not sure how much different it will be from that. I fired SOS back an email from my previous contact with them and they responded saying that they had another customer in Japan interested, so quite promising. Chris will be in contact with hopefully a more exact quote.

Now, ashtray or no ashtray, this could get complicated. . .

Well I see no ashtray as a simplifying thing? I don't mind either way, but the ashtray is the area prime for a boost/oil pressure/fuel pressure, but it can be sorted on a different place.

Cheers,

AR

NSX 2000
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
The problem is only a few people in this club can speak/read Japanese so as much as I try I can't search Japanese websites, but I did ask a man who could.
Paul.

The man I asked was Kaz but wanted to check with him first before letting the whole WWW know. Below is the email I sent and the reply I got

To Kaz

Hi Kaz

I see in one of your recent posts that you are getting parts from Japan for another member, so I was wondering would you be able to enquire about a part for me?
I'm after a centre console but with out the 2 stereo holes. I'm looking to remove the OEM stereo, so that I can cut a hole to my size (in the after market console) so that I can install an after market stereo. In an ideal world this part would be in carbon fibre. The idea being that I can put back the OEM stereo and centre console if I want.

I understand Dali did one but the quality was not very good! SoS do one but only for left hand drive. see here http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...enter_console/

Thanks in advance

Paul.

This is the reply from Kaz

Hi, Paul. Thank you for your email.

I saw many aftermarket audio installations on our NSX and there were only a few of which I was satisfied with the quality, method and finish.

As I work very closely with F1, if you ask me about the carbon parts, then it will be extremely difficult to satisfy me with any aftermarket console made out of carbon.

The only carbon console that I was impressed with was the one on the NSX Type-R that I used to look after for several months for my friend.
Even for Type-R, the carbon console was optional equipment and the price was mega-mega expensive. You can buy reasonable used car for the price of this OEM carbon console. But, it was just fantastic.

Because of this, lots of people in the world were trying to install the aftermarket audio with modified console.
Unfortunately, I haven't tested them long enough to recommend to other members. Some of them looked very nice but not sure about the endurance against UV, high temperature, scratch, etc.

Recently, I looked at the console from Dali as one of my friend visited my place to have his audio system modified. As in your email, my advise is to stay away from it. The build quality was nothing.... It was also missing some of the fixing holes...

The one from SOS. It looked nice as it was done using injection molding.
They probably attached the top layer with carbon as there is no way to build it 100% out of carbon with that price. It's so difficult to copy the angle/slope of OEM console and fixing tabs.

In fact, most of the carbon 'look' centre consoles were actually using automotive adhesive tape to attach the carbon material on top of the existing console. Please refer to the attached files; KiteStickerCarbon, KiteFRPwithAshTray, KiteFRPwithoutAshTray. All of them were using sticker to attach to the existing console.

Also, please refer to this link;
http://www.amg-sec.com/honda_nsx.htm
This one is also using the sticker.

There is a one kit from Backyard Special and Vtecdirect sells them in UK.
http://www.vtecdirect.com/online/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?seo=item--Backyard-Special-NSX-Interior-trim-carbon-fibre-replacement--BKYS-NSX-INT01
Again, this is also using stickers. With this price, I think I'll buy OEM console and do it buy myself.

If you are happy to spend many hours, then you can use very thin (about
0.2mm) carbon sheet with adhesive at the back to attach it to the existing console. Please refer to the photos Decalco01 - 04.

If you go to the professional shop, they will install it more properly.
Please refer to the photo GymIndustry01 & 02.

So there is an original Honda carbon fibre centre console but apparently this is majour bucks. Once I have posted this Kaz will also post with some more thoughts.

Paul

NSX 2000
08-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Personally I would want mine with ashtray, so I can use the 12volt soket for charging the phone and the ashtray to hold the phone.

Paul.

Minch
09-04-2009, 08:07 AM
If I did it I could possibly move the 12V socket into the armrest (where I intend to fit the iPod connection). I won't need a 12V socket for a Sat Nav as I intend to run a double DIN Sat Nav/multimedia unit. :)

NSXGB
09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Minch, you will find that the unit you buy will have an ipod lead anyway that supplies it's charge.
I have one on my Pioneer double DIN.

Minch
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Sorry I should clarify . . .the 12V will be for mobile charging. Have you got photos of your Pioneer :)

NSXGB
09-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Sorry I should clarify . . .the 12V will be for mobile charging. Have you got photos of your Pioneer :)

Here you go Minch.

Minch
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
That looks the nuts! Where did your console come from?

NSXGB
09-04-2009, 03:43 PM
That looks the nuts! Where did your console come from?

We don't mention his name on here any more. :rolleyes:

It needed a lot of prep to get it there and I think could be better, hence why I'd be interested in this group buy....either that or I'm just a bit of a perfectionist....I would like the ashtray reinstated too.

AR
10-04-2009, 07:44 AM
It needed a lot of prep to get it there and I think could be better, hence why I'd be interested in this group buy....either that or I'm just a bit of a perfectionist....I would like the ashtray reinstated too.

Those consoles are POS, you have done a great job getting that one to look that good!

Minch
10-04-2009, 07:52 AM
It looks really good. Obviously photos can some times hide details like colour and texture. How close is the material match to the OEM console? It appears to be very similar. Not sure what the rest of you guys think but I prefer it to the Carbon look.

NSXGB
10-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks AR, but as Minch points out, maybe the photo is not so good...:)

This one also did not come with the aspirator fan mount or holes, so I had to create that too. Obviously that would be a requirement for the GB console.

The colour and texture are not a million miles away, that part comes down to the paint choice. Mine pictured is slightly more shiny than the OEM console finish. I'm thinking a little scrub with some T cut may dull it down enough. Otherwise the vents could be painted to match.

Minch
10-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Just bought the latest copy of Banzai and found an advert for a bodykit producer . . . http://www.replikit.co.uk/

They may just be interested in helping us out! I'm going to fire them an email.

simonprelude
10-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Just bought the latest copy of Banzai and found an advert for a bodykit producer . . . http://www.replikit.co.uk/

It's not often I say this, but...................... NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

PM me if you want more details, I wouldn't want to put my thoughts on a public forum even if I do have photographic proof.

Minch
10-04-2009, 06:16 PM
That bad hey . . . well on my search through the SOS website I found instruction for the installation of the LHD version . . . http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112690

Looks really nice . . . I reckon we get them to make it :)

Minch
10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
This isn't a bad idea if we have to loose the ash tray . . .

josewick
12-04-2009, 04:07 PM

I read on various forums that they do not have a good reputation at all.. :(

NSXGB
12-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Time to resurrect this thread and see if there is any concrete interest...

I think this is where we were:

1. NSXGB.
2. Minch.
3. AR.

NSX 2000
12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Time to resurrect this thread and see if there is any concrete interest...

I think this is where we were:

1. NSXGB.
2. Minch.
3. AR.

I'm interested as long as it comes with ashtray and I think Papa was as well.

Maybe best to chat about this at Japfest?

Paul.

jonny
13-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm still game for this :D

1. NSXGB.
2. Minch.
3. AR.
4. Jonny

NSXGB
13-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately I'm not going to JF but for the record, I would personally prefer it with the ashtray.

Kevin
13-05-2009, 08:32 AM
The way to get this console done, is not to try an replicate the whole piece. Especially if you want to keep the ashtray etc. There are just too many fixtures on the reverse side to be able to recreate using a lay-up process which is carbon fibre/fibreglass. The part needs to be injection molded. The best bet, and cheapest is to have made a trim panel to fit over the OEM console. It will be cheaper, and sooooo much easier to make.

NSXGB
13-05-2009, 08:40 AM
The way to get this console done, is not to try an replicate the whole piece. Especially if you want to keep the ashtray etc. There are just too many fixtures on the reverse side to be able to recreate using a lay-up process which is carbon fibre/fibreglass. The part needs to be injection molded. The best bet, and cheapest is to have made a trim panel to fit over the OEM console. It will be cheaper, and sooooo much easier to make.

If we go with SOS the part will be injection moulded. The prohibitive factor may then be the cost. Otherwise I agree with your comments. Looking at the SOS site, the LHD version is $399, which I'm assuming is roughly the price we'd be paying. If it's around that price, is everybody still in?