PDA

View Full Version : NSX on Ebay good proposition for a daily driver?

Bobfrance
20-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi All,

First post here (long time Pistonheads member).

I'm currently looking at changing from my early 2.5 Boxster and my attention has been grabbed by an NSX I spotted on ebay.

Here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280294586066&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:uk)

I am aware that as an imported automatic it's not the most desirable model, but as it goes I am working within a budget.
The car would be used as a daily driver, covering about 9k a year.
I have a very good mechanic whom I would completely trust with its maintenance.

What I would like your opinions on are:

Do they make a good daily driver? (I think I know the answer to this)

Anyone care to compare them (fairly) to a Boxster

How do you rate maintenance costs/parts availability?

What do you think of the car on ebay? Anuone know it? And do the exhausts in the picture look as dodgy as I suspect they do?

All wisdom gratefully received :)

Bob.

Sudesh
20-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi and welcome!

On the NSX, I'm almost sure that car was talked about on here before cant remember who was thinking of buying it though. Maybe have a scan through theprevious posts to see as it wasnt that long ago it cam up.

Its an JDM import and I wouldnt be a fan of the exhausts either.

Hagasan
20-01-2009, 03:56 PM
And do the exhausts in the picture look as dodgy as I suspect they do?

I'll happily swap a standard exhaust for the engine cover which is also non-standard like the exhausst......:)

Gary

mutley
20-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi,

i'm not a fan of automatics ( in general not just NSX) but I can say as a daily driver, it's a lot of car for the money. I have use as a daily car now and again, and I also do between bedfordshire and Edinburgh on a fairy regular basis and the car is great, quiet and comfortable at motorway speeds, and a howling monster when I want it to be.

HTH
Jim

Rash
20-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi mate,
its my NSX that you have spotted on ebay.. Any Q's just drop me a PM.
The exhaust was the next thing on my 'to do' list as well as sorting the stereo out as it has a mind of its own... However not got round to doing either...!!!

Cheers
Rash

britlude
20-01-2009, 05:59 PM
been using my 92 JDM auto as a daily for the last 3 years.... no major traumas, no major problems ( touch wood, no need to tempt fate!!!)

usual wear/tear on service items, no jobs too awkward, replacement parts reasonably priced if you remember NOT to go to honda UK!!! :-)

ok so the auto is a little down on peak power, but makes up for it in bottom end torque, like that makes any difference when sitting in traffic, NOT having to clutch/gear/clutch everytime you need to move 5 feet forward!! lol

as a daily it's great, and you can still hoon around if you want to!!

AR
20-01-2009, 07:51 PM
I have often considered adding an auto as a daily driver, but more than likely I will end up spending too much on mods!

Senninha
20-01-2009, 09:37 PM
I have often considered adding an auto as a daily driver, but more than likely I will end up spending too much on mods!

I've often thought the same and fortunately I'm not interested in mods ;)

I mean, who would have considered buying this little Black beauty, adding a simple DF 02 facelift and enjoying miles of relaxing motoring :dunno:

AR
20-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I've often thought the same and fortunately I'm not interested in mods ;)

I mean, who would have considered buying this little Black beauty, adding a simple DF 02 facelift and enjoying miles of relaxing motoring :dunno:

And then...and then...and then. :)

That is how it starts with the go fast crack pipe!

Bobfrance
20-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all your input guys!
If it was purely a weekend car then I'd be going for manual too. However since it will be used for the daily grind, then I think automatic will serve me well.

Rash, thanks for saying hi.
It's always good to hear that a seller is a proper enthusiast and a member of a marque forum. I'm going to be working away for the next few days, but if I can find a moment over the weekend, I'll give you a call to discuss it in more detail.

On a general note. I know it won't be a 'cheap' car to run. I'm used to paying through the nose having owned a boxster (£1000+ for a clutch doesn't sound too bad!), but am I correct in assuming that parts are reasonably priced (as in no more than porsche prices) and generally available?

Bob.

I've already noticed the price of tyres is reshreshingly cheap. ;)

ETA: Are there any on-line parts lists available, so I could check prices?

AR
21-01-2009, 02:15 PM
ETA: Are there any on-line parts lists available, so I could check prices?

Well...there are but at the moment we are waiting to see what is going to happen.

Bobfrance
22-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm back! :)

Well...there are but at the moment we are waiting to see what is going to happen.

I see.

Who are the current suppliers apart from Honda UK?

AR
22-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Currently only SOS and Detlef, or if you got someone in America get them to get the parts COD from Dali.

austrian type-r
22-01-2009, 11:04 PM
If you need oem spareparts or aftermarket stuff, email me: office@atr-racing.com

thanks