PDA

View Full Version : Door Handle.........D'oh

mutley
15-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi All,

Somewhere on here is a thread about me repairing my door handle after the "common" fault of the little connector breaking, and ordering a "door fix it thingie" from Dali. Well not too long ago, BANG it went again. As I was about to start bitching to Dali that his so called unbreakable part lasted only 6 months, but decided that, maybe these things happen and I ordered another one, which arrived yesterday.

Tonight, much to my horror, when I removed the door handle assembly to replace the "thingie", I found that the "thingie" was in perfect working order, it is my actual door handle that has broken on me ARGH! Where the hell am I going to find a door handle!!!

Jim

AR
15-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Jim SOS has some very nice metal handles that look unbreakable.

Have you tried contacting Amo?

He had lots of spares.

Cheers,

AR

mutley
15-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Jim SOS has some very nice metal handles that look unbreakable.

Have you tried contacting Amo?

He had lots of spares.

Cheers,

AR

Yeah funnily enough I just looked as SOS handles about 10 mins ago, and I'm sitting here wondering if I can justify that price for them......................Damn tempting!!!

Amo is my next port of call.

Cheers
Jim

W2NSX
15-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi Jim

Try Dirk - He would source you an OEM part from his vast parts supply

Senninha
15-01-2009, 09:39 PM
You could also try Mateen (MVM) who is parting out his damaged NSX

regards, Paul

nigel
16-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Sometimes they come up for sale on e-bay here in the states but they don't last long as you found out because of the cost.
Dirk will be your cheapest route if he has any left.

Cheers
nigel

mutley
17-01-2009, 01:03 PM
As you can see where the handle broke, repair is almost impossible.

Have spoken to SoS about the billet handles. Expensive but look VERY nice.

Jim

PS the red background on these pics is the new Cha red foam backed Alcantara that I'm redoing the door cards in, makeing them smooth, no rufles.

Sudesh
17-01-2009, 04:53 PM
As far as I know, the OEM door handle comes as a complete unit! .

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/13SL00_012_3.jpg

mutley
17-01-2009, 04:58 PM
As an OEM part from honda, it is the whole assembly.

looks like I'm going the SoS billet handle route

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/billet_door_handles/

Jim

NSX 2000
19-01-2009, 10:26 AM
How much is an OEM one, anybody know?

NSXGB
19-01-2009, 10:31 AM
The billet ones are very nice and at least you will get them if you order from SoS. Just FYI the minimum delivery cost from SoS is minimum $35 whatever you order, so make it worthwhile.

mutley
19-01-2009, 12:36 PM
How much is an OEM one, anybody know?

as far as I know, the door handle comes as part of the full assemnbly and is arounf £400.

The billet ones are very nice and at least you will get them if you order from SoS. Just FYI the minimum delivery cost from SoS is minimum $35 whatever you order, so make it worthwhile.

Yeah I have liked at a few little things from SoS and once i hear back this will be my "test purchase" with them.

Jim

Kaz-kzukNA1
19-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi, Jim and all.

Quite interesting to see where it broke.
On several cars, encountered with the 'common' failure of small hinge breaking but not like yours.

Did you or someone experienced the similar issue here on NSXCB feel any symptom prior to the actual breakage or did it happen all of a sudden?

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Regards,
Kaz

Lankstarr
19-01-2009, 05:42 PM
PS the red background on these pics is the new Chav red foam backed Alcantara that I'm redoing the door cards in, makeing them smooth, no rufles.

Jim,

The Chav red will go perfectly in your car - may I suggest making yourself a track suit out of it as well so you can be co-ordinated when you come to NSX meets?

I had Amo's driver's side handle as this is the exact thing that happened to my door handle; really glad I didn't waste my time with a fix-it thingy once I saw how it had broken. I don't think it's a common fault, I'd put it down to the fact that I (and possibly Jim although someone else may have been in his car) have super human strength.

My new handle only gets opened with my little finger now to ensure the embarassing situation of not being able to get out of your NSX doesn't recur.

I'd say your best bet is the guy breaking his X - the Ali handles are mega £$£$£$£$£$

Luke

mutley
19-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi, Jim and all.

.................Did you or someone experienced the similar issue here on NSXCB feel any symptom prior to the actual breakage or did it happen all of a sudden?

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Regards,
Kaz

Hi Kaz, last yeah I had the problem with the hinge breaking so I sen fro the repair peice. when this happened I assumed that it was the hinge again so ordered another one, I only discovered that it was teh handle when I took it apart to fit the new part.

Jim,

The Chav red will go perfectly in your car - may I suggest making yourself a track suit out of it as well so you can be co-ordinated when you come to NSX meets?

I'd say your best bet is the guy breaking his X - the Ali handles are mega £$£$£$£$£$

Luke

Cheeky twat, it says CHA red and I know the handles are expensive but they look SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good

TheSebringOne
19-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Cheeky T--T !! Jim, I didn't know you had it in you pal!? :eek::laugh:

mutley
20-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Cheeky T--T !! Jim, I didn't know you had it in you pal!? :eek::laugh:

I'm a serviceman, which means I could come out with a LOT harsher than that...................But wouldn't want to make him cry!!

Anyhoo back on topic, delivery from SoS is on way! Yeah I know they are expensive but hey I thought I'd treat myself.

Usual pics will be posted up when arrive and fitted.

Jim

nigel
20-01-2009, 03:14 AM
James,
You'll love the new handle assys. from SOS. The quality is the business.
Chris and the lads, (Josh, Brian) are a great help and stand behind their bits.
You'll have no problem recieving your bits and they always are available by phone or p/m at Prime.

Cheers
nigel

mutley
20-01-2009, 12:36 PM
James,
You'll love the new handle assys. from SOS. The quality is the business.
Chris and the lads, (Josh, Brian) are a great help and stand behind their bits.
You'll have no problem recieving your bits and they always are available by phone or p/m at Prime.

Cheers
nigel

Thanks Nigel, I know what you mean, when I processes te order last night, I had almost an online conversation with Bryan via emails. This is my test purchase with SoS and if all goes well, (which I am sure it will) then I will be getting a lot more stuff from them.

Cheers
Jim

nigel
20-01-2009, 11:38 PM
James and all,
Doing business with SOS is nice as they know the NSX bonnet to boot and there's always someone to answer P/Ms or phone calls.
You'll be glad you started working with them.
They distribute the same products as others and have fair prices as well.

Cheers
nigel

NSXGB
21-01-2009, 08:06 PM
....they can supply OEM Honda parts if you require them as well...

mutley
21-01-2009, 08:24 PM
....they can supply OEM Honda parts if you require them as well...

Can they?
I never thought of asking, but I am sure they will be able to supply most things really. But I wanted those handles for a while so this is my justification to myself !!.

Jim

mutley
24-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Well I got an email from USmail and my parts from SoS are on there way. What I realy like is the track and trace, so I know where they are, how good is that? Apparently they left Arizona last night, might have them by next week.

Jim

dan the man
24-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Heres an idea.

Surely someonme on here has an NSX still in warranty?

Bit of switcheroo and bobs your uncle fannys your aunt.

mutley
24-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Heres an idea.

Cheers Dan, you could have come up with that plan before I spent S*** loads on new parts!! HAHA

are there any still under warranty??

NSXGB
24-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Heres an idea.

I think that's called fraud :).

The newer ones are silver I think anyway. . .

dan the man
26-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Nah its called using your head :)

And if u swap both sides i reckon the honda employee would not even question it. Even if u swap one side they would not... ha ha

mutley
31-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Righty folks,

My stuff from SoS has arrived, and I will certainly be usuing them again. The correspondence was excellent and with the track and trace I know where my stuff was every step of the way. I did get humped for £43 for inport tax though, but anyway, pics to follow soon with new parts in place.

Jim

AR
31-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Post them up mate, also let us know the quality as I have wanted a set of those handles for a while.

BTW Do you still want the other bits?

Cheers,

AR

Michael Drake
31-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Hello, any one out there that could point me in the right direction of where I can find such a thing, at best in the the UK. Honda UK tell me that the parts will cost approx 400 pounds and that the wait time from Japan will be approx 2 months. It must be possible to get something sooner surely ? I prefer to have an original part.

Mike

nigel
31-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Try Dirk and see if he's come round yet.
If not as James has found, S.o.S. is great for those bits. A bit pricey espically after Mr. Brown get his piece but worth it none the less.
Another place for OEM handles is Ray Laks Acura in the states. Ask for Tim, the parts manager. You won't find any price cheaper for NEW Genuine Honda NSX Parts! 1-888-RAY-LAKS

Cheers
nigel

mutley
01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Hello, any one out there that could point me in the right direction of where I can find such a thing, at best in the the UK. Honda UK tell me that the parts will cost approx 400 pounds and that the wait time from Japan will be approx 2 months. It must be possible to get something sooner surely ? I prefer to have an original part.

Mike

Do you need the whole door handle or just the "fix it" part? If you need the part that usually breaks then I have a spare one.

Jim

Michael Drake
02-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks I'm not sure , will check with Honda Chiswick today.

Mike

mutley
02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi All,

For those interested in the Billet handles from SoS, I've started a new thread about the repair with pics.

Thanks

Jim