PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Steering wheel/ boss

mutley
05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
A quick question for those of you that have an aftermarket steering wheel, (momo) where did you get the steering wheel boss, I sent an email to a momo supplier and they said there isn't one for the NSX which is obviously crap as some of you guys have them.

Cheers

Jim

AR
05-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Jim,

I think Dali sells the momo nsx-r quite cheap.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=915

Cheers,

Ary

Sudesh
05-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Jim,

Momo used to sell the boss for the NSX, but stopped years ago. The NSX-R boss is the same one and as Ary said you can get it form Dali and possibly SOS and others. I purchased my NSX-R Hub boss from Dirk.

There are other options also but for me I wanted to stay OEM.

markc
05-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi Jim, I went with the quick release one hub from Dali... http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1696

Works well and gives some added security as it's pretty hard to drive a car with no steering wheel :)

Getting the horn (ooo-err Mrs) hooked up is a bit tricky though.

Cheers

Mark

forumadmin
05-01-2009, 05:48 PM
To just interject here. Momo make the boss for Honda for the NSX-R. So it is technically a Honda part available from Honda, and Momo do not sell it branded as theirs.

I have one, but you need to sort out the horn wiring yourself (I made a wiper contact). The cable reel needs removing as well. There are some others which keep that intact should you wish it.

mutley
05-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Hmmm,

Well it's really that I have an aftermarket wheel that I want to fit, and I am trying to experiment with different ways as I would like to keep the cruise control. Whether that meas fitting to my new wheel or by relocating the buttons.

Oh the things you do when you are bored eh?
Question for the ones that have a different wheel, did you just go with removing the cruise control completely?

Jim

Sudesh
05-01-2009, 07:10 PM
To just interject here. Momo make the boss for Honda for the NSX-R. So it is technically a Honda part available from Honda, and Momo do not sell it branded as theirs.

That is not entirely correct!! MOMO did make the HUB for the NSX and did sell it branded as their own. It was MOMO P/N 4916 and at the time when they sold it, it was only about £50.00!!

Jim

there is a Hub/Boss adapter, that you can buy that has 2 buttons that slides between the wheel and boss. Guys on prime have used this to relocate the cruise.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91687

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/momo_320_Cruise_1.jpg

I done away completely with my cruise as I'm on a weight saving/NSX-R mission lol!

Wiring up the horn was simple.

mutley
05-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks Sudesh, that's fantastic and would be perfect, al I need now are the parts LOL

Jim

Sudesh
05-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I used this method to wire up the horn but as mentioned in the thread I decided to use "Braided brush contacts" from Scalextric so not as to damage the copper base of the Hub/boss.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65255&highlight=install+steering+wheel

NSXGB
05-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Sparco does one that fits (I think it's the Civic one) and you need a 12mm spacer.

If you go for the Taitec boss you keep the cable reel and can wire in the cruise etc very easily. It's one of the more expensive options at around £200 delivered.

mutley
05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Sparco does one that fits (I think it's the Civic one) and you need a 12mm spacer.

If you go for the Taitec boss you keep the cable reel and can wire in the cruise etc very easily. It's one of the more expensive options at around £200 delivered.

ARGH I'm getting information overload now!! I don't mind the price if it makes life easier.

I'll check it out.

Cheers
Jim

forumadmin
05-01-2009, 08:37 PM
That is not entirely correct!! MOMO did make the HUB for the NSX and did sell it branded as their own. It was MOMO P/N 4916 and at the time when they sold it, it was only about £50.00!!

I was speaking in the present tense. I know of the Momo 4916 but that's history.

markc
05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I binned the cruise control on mine but being a JDM car it didn't work at speeds above 70mph (112kph) anyway effectively making it useless for motorway (continental) cruising.

Mark

mutley
05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I binned the cruise control on mine but being a JDM car it didn't work at speeds above 70mph (112kph) anyway effectively making it useless for motorway (continental) cruising.

Mark

yeah fair one, but seeing as it is one of the few things that works on my car ( I actually inadvertantly fixed it while trying to fix my headlights......long story!)
I'd like to keep it.

Jim

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi,a ll.
Just for your reference.

Most of the aftermarket steering wheel and hub uses 6 bolts to attach the wheel to the hub. Thus, there are normally only 6 fixing holes on the steering wheel and the hub including MOMO 4916.

The OEM Type-R, S hub is based on MOMO (there is the 'MOMO' logo engraved) but being modified with 3 extra fixing holes. OEM steering wheel uses 9 bolts to fix itself to the hub.

The benefit of using OEM or MOMO hub is that they have crushable structure in case of huge impact to the wheel under a certain accident....

Regards,
Kaz

mutley
05-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Well thanks all, lots of good suggestions and info, plenty food for thought.
If anyone knows of anywhere in the UK to get the parts, please let me know.

Cheers

Jim

Sudesh
05-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi,a ll.
Just for your reference.

Most of the aftermarket steering wheel and hub uses 6 bolts to attach the wheel to the hub. Thus, there are normally only 6 fixing holes on the steering wheel and the hub including MOMO 4916.

The OEM Type-R, S hub is based on MOMO (there is the 'MOMO' logo engraved) but being modified with 3 extra fixing holes. OEM steering wheel uses 9 bolts to fix itself to the hub.

The benefit of using OEM or MOMO hub is that they have crushable structure in case of huge impact to the wheel under a certain accident....

Regards,
Kaz

Hi Kaz!

Have you more details on the 9 bolts and fixing points? I have the OEM NSX-R hub and MOMO Tuner wheel [same as NSX-R] but I didnt notice any difference in the amount of bolts between the NSX-R wheel and others?

Or is the for other wheels other than MOMO??

Kaz-kzukNA1
06-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi, Sudesh.

To start with, although you already have this, followings are the photo of the OEM R Hub. As you can see, there are 9 fixing screw holes on it.
4862 4865

Engraved 'MOMO' and '4916' logo on it. Based on MOMO #4916 but with extra 3 fixing screw holes.
4864 4863

The biggest difference between the OEM Type-R MOMO steering wheel and the aftermarket ones including MOMO is the number of fixing holes. As you can see below, there are 9 holes on the OEM Type-R version.

There are some differences between NA1 and NA2 Type-R but in general, from outside, you will only see 6 bolts on the steering Ring (no.6). 3 extra fixing bolts will be hidden under this Ring.

Regards,
Kaz

Sudesh
06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Kaz,

Thanks for the info, I noticed the momo logo and numbers on my hub too.

Always wondered what the extra holes were for but now I see from the pics and your description they are hidden below the ring. My guess the 3 extras are to support the steering wheel while trying to install the horn and steering ring.