PDA

View Full Version : Front Hub Removal...

NSXGB
03-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Anyone done this?
Was going to remove the front splash guards & fit the 993 brake deflectors as a little DIY project.
I disassembled all the necessary nuts & bolts, or so I thought, but the hub seems like it's fused to the upright. Given it a few 'taps' but I don't want to go too mad with the hammer. The few bits of info I've searched don't imply any possible difficulty splitting it from the upright?

If anyone has done this, can they comment on whether they had any trouble splitting the hub please?

amo
03-01-2009, 06:48 PM
to be honest yes done this but hay can i remember
i think i had to give it a good few licks
thx amo

forumadmin
03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
What you are trying to do is remove the wheel hub right? There's only four nuts to undo from the rear and the hub unit comes off. You may want to remove the ABS sensor before bashing anything too hard with a hammer just in case.

I did it, and it wasn't hard. I may be slightly wrong on the details as I don't have a car to look at, at the moment.

NSXGB
03-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, looks like a very simple job. I undid the 4 nuts and took off the abs sensor. It just did not want to budge, maybe worth bolting the wheel on and giving it a wiggle maybe?

Kaz-kzukNA1
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi, NSXGB.

If it is the rear hub assy, then sometimes, the spline at the drive-shaft and rear hub could get bound and you may struggle to separate them.

However on the front hub assy, I never had any issues removing it.

As forumadmin said, you only need to remove 4 self-locking nuts from the back of the wheel hub/bearing assy. Therefore, it is interesting to hear that your front wheel hub/bearing is 'fused to the upright'.
I believe you are following the service manual but could you take a photo of the hub area (front and back) or explain to us on which bolts/parts you already removed?

One thing on the front splash guard. Please make sure to protect the lower ball joint and the boot if you are making any changes around splash guard area. Because it is close to the brake disk, it could get damaged in a long term usage especially if you track the car a lot due to the extra heat caused by the change in air flow.

Regards,
Kaz

forumadmin
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Yes, looks like a very simple job. I undid the 4 nuts and took off the abs sensor. It just did not want to budge, maybe worth bolting the wheel on and giving it a wiggle maybe?

Maybe you have an electrical problem?:laugh:

NSXGB
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Maybe you have an electrical problem?:laugh:

. . . Possibly, or I need a bigger hammer. . . .

Kzuk, I ran out of time and had to re assemble so the car is back together now so no photos poss at the mo. Yes, it is the front hub I'm trying to remove. Basically I removed the disc, caliper and the carrier. I then undid the abs sensor mount and the 4 x 14mm nuts that hold the hub to the upright.
I think it was ready to come apart but I did not want to 'tease' that expensive alloy too much with the hammer.
Might spray with penetrating oil, bolt the wheel on and give it a wiggle. . . .

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi, NSXGB.

As it was time for my regular brake maintenance, I took one further step to remove the Front hub/beaing assy for you.

As in your post, after removing the caliper bracket, the caliper and the brake disk, remove the 2 bolts at the protection cover for the wheel speed sensor cable (Red arrow). Then, as you mentioned, remove the 4 of 14mm nuts (Blue arrow). If there is no corrosion, then the hub/bearing assy should slide out with just 2 fingers. In fact, on mine, it started to slide out even while removing the 4 nuts.
4890 4891

Inside of the knuckle should be very clean like this. If not, the dust cap at the back of the knuckle is not sealed well.
The bearing/hub assy. As you can see, the long 4 stud bolts should be clean like this. If they were corraded, please check the mounting surface of knuckle and bearing/hub assy.
4892 4893

The position of the 4 studs are offseted each other so you can only put the assy back into the knuckle in 1 orientation.

Just a reminder to avoid any corrosion. As the knuckle is made from aluminum, please do not use mineral based grease on these bolts/nuts.

Regards,
Kaz

NSXGB
10-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for taking the time to do that Kaz. As I thought it should be simple and I'd not left an odd bolt in anywhere. I'll put it down to it possibly never been off the car before (?) and is stuck together with a bit of corrosion.

I'll have another go soon....