PDA

View Full Version : Your first introduction to the NSX

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 11:46 PM
What was everyone’s first introduction to the NSX and possibly the reason why you have one now?

I'm sure the answers will be staggered going by age, reactions, reason for buying etc.

For me the first time was, when it was unveiled at the Motor Show in the UK back in the early 90's, and then I remember seeing one, in my now friends, Honda Dealership! and was just mesmerised lol! Obviously initial appeal was just the beauty of the car.

I then purchased my first one in 1996/97 I think.

But I also had a huge liking, [and still do] for the Nissan 300ZX back then too, and over the many years I’ve owned about 7 of them! lol

AR
18-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Great post Sudesh.

It all started in 1990 when I first became aware of this marvellous car. At the time I thought I'll never be able to own one. Circa 1992 a friend of a friend had traded his 8-series BMW for a Black NSX and the memories are still fresh.

Funny enough I also bought a SWB 300 ZX in 1994.

I have had three NSX as my signature states and this last one, aptly nicknamed the underdog has been the most involving and challenging one so far!

I hope to have pictures of the quasi-finished project next week.

Cheers,

Ary

Sudesh
18-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Nice one Ary!

I also bought my first 300ZX in 1994, it was a yellow, UK manual TT which at the time was a MAX POWER featured car with 400bhp. Beast of a thing for those days lol. I bought it from a guy in London.

I also had the same feeling with the NSX and never though I'd own one, but lucky enough in 1996/7 I bought my first red/black Manual car which was the H6NSX one.

Funny you mention the 8series, I have always like them and still do! and back in 1995 my older brother [ before he passed away] almost bought a used 850CSI. But opted for a new e36 M3 Convertible. Again an amazing machine for back in those days and still highly sought after today.

BabyG
18-12-2008, 01:38 AM
I'd been aware of the NSX through all of the reviews and I knew it was a good car, but it wasn't until the Top Gear Supercars video came out and Tiff did a review of it that I got an inkling that it meant something a bit special to me. The review wasn't even overwhelmingly positive - lots of good but some bad too, it just made me think that it was the one for me.

Who am I trying to kid, I was sold on the exhausts. I still can't understand why any of you lot have changed them out, the standard ones are magnificent.

Since then, it was the car on my wall and now the car that I own. I've got a feeling this one's a keeper.

JQD84983
18-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I remember Noel Edmonds showing the car at the 1990 British Motor show and remember thinking what a great car it looked.

About 3 years later my dad had an original Lotus Turbo Esprit and was visiting a garage in Nottingham that he dealt with regularly. The guy there tried to persuade him to try this NSK he had just driven up from London and said if he tried it he would definately buy it. He was pushed for time and didnt try it but always regretted it.

After he drove mine he realised what he had missed as the car was everything this guy said and more!

TheQuietOne
18-12-2008, 11:15 AM
We always wanted one from the moment we had our first Honda which was an original Champ White Integra Type-R (build number 150) back in 1998. Since that moment we were hooked on Honda's and I manged to convert my Dad from being and Audi man to the way of Honda. Since then we worked our way up to the NSX which we picked up in 2005 swapping an S2000 and a Civic Type-R in at the time.

P.S. We were always a Nigel Mansell family so the Ayrton link was not a contributing factor! An I was 10 when the car was unvailed so that wasn't it for me either. My first memory of the NSX was actually Chris's (ex Ary and Barry) NSX-R of all things which was owned by a chap for many years on an adjacent industrial estate to my Dad's back in '97 or so. I remember thinking that is amazing and one day......little did I know!

WhyOne?
18-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Interesting that you mention our Nig' Matt!

It was Honda's commitment & involvement to F1 which 1st got me interested in the brand, most especially when Williams were running Honda donkeys.

This inspired my 1st forray into Honda road cars - a bonkers, screaming little red 1.6 VTEC Civic hatchback. This was followed by a Civic 1.6 VTi....then a gen. 3 Prelude 2.2 VTEC (lovely, lovely car)..(a 2.0 Stream Sport for the missus) ..an S2000....and there was a certain inevitability about me ending up in an NSX.

Whilst I always rooted for Mansell, I always had a grudging admiration for Senna and was well aware of his involvement with Honda developing the NSX during his McLaren years. (I was also at the 1st ever public running of the V12 Honda F1 engine - in the back of a McLaren driven by their then test driver Alan McNish one bright Friday morning at Silverstone during an F1 test session).

In the light of all this, I am of course very sad that Honda have pulled the plug on their F1 programme. I could have lived without another 2007, or 2008 season, but I really belive with the rule changes & the effort put into the 2009 car, there was a good chance of the team running towards the pointy end of the grid next season.

Now we will never know.

Driver Matt
18-12-2008, 06:43 PM
In 1980 my first sports car was a Honda S800 with 4 carbs, twin overhead cam, all Aluminium engine and a wacko red line of 10,000 rpm. It left deep memories.
More recently I spent a lot of time sprinting and hillclimbing a Batmobile (BMW CSL E9) but wanted more than 60 seconds worth of fun at a time and decided a sports car for the road was needed. The NSX appeared as if by magic as the only solution, I fit in it, it works most days I try to drive it, it has never caught fire whislt driving ( an old Iso's dashboard burst into flames at the traffice lights in Croydon a while ago requiring some very rapid screw driver and extinguisher work before the lights turned green ), its a Honda and brings back youthful memories and it goes pretty well ( not as fast as a race tuned Batmobile and a lot less scarey ! ).
What more can I say :) I don't think I bought a pup.

jamieburke
18-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Its a 1991 Red nsx in showroom condition (better in a number of areas!)

It hasn't seen rain or night since I've owned it and was bought from a collector.

Its exactly like the car in the poster I put on my bedroom wall when i was 15, after my cousins boyfriend showed up in one to our house party, making the mercs and bmw's of the era look boxy, ridiculous.....

Its the only car I've always wanted.....

Now, at 32, I have one.......bought and paid for....took everything i had...

I ****ING RULE !! :cool:

markc
18-12-2008, 08:28 PM
In the 1980's and '90's I used to subscribe to CAR magazine and vividly remember the March 1989 issue where the NSX was first featured. The issue also contained interviews with Tadashi Kume (then boss at Honda) and Nobuhiko Kawamoto (chief engine designer).

I was hooked and wanted one from then on :)

The August 1989 issue of CAR feature their first test drive in pre-production cars at Honda's Tochigi test track and the October 1990 issue pitted the NSX against the Ferrari 348, Porsche Carrera (964) and Lotus Esprit Turbo.

Of course I still have those very magazines in pristine condition. Here's scans of the front covers...

Mark

Senninha
18-12-2008, 08:48 PM
As it says in my NSX garage link ...

I drove my first NSX in 1991 at the Honda facility in Swindon. I promised myself that I would one day own an NSX.
On the 15th of April 2006 this promise came true!

I actually had 2 motoring aims if life went to (some sort of) plan and they were;
1. Lotus by 40 - had one of the first S2 135 Elise and I miss that car!! 20k miles in under a year, loads of fun! I still have the photo I took of it before driving it out of the showroom on my desk. I even went to the factory and saw it roll of the production line :D

2. Aston by 50

What I hadn't planned was the S2k after the Lotus which was like the Elise bt equipped with a big warm overcoat! Before its untimely demise I had been watching the NSX market and visiting here as a guest for a few months. The more I looked, the more I needed to make that dream come true. The search began in earnest as I banked the insurance cheque and I found S2 7 months and 8 NSX's later.

Will I achieve the Aston? Who knows? They're certainly affordable now, AMV8 drop tops looking very attractive but I doubt I could convince myself to part with that amount of money.

Besides, I'd have to part with the NSX and I'm not sure I'm ready for that right now .....

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
18-12-2008, 10:12 PM
My intro was Tiff driving one in a supercar comparison in TG, think it was Simon's IOP car? Not sure of the year? Then later I owned a previous gen Prelude in white, full Honda body kit & 4ws etc, loved that car still! So whilst visiting my sister in laws near Worthing in 2003, I tested one at the then John Cooper's Honda garage in Ferring & said I had to own one. So a year later I looked into buying one, looked around for 6 months, then the perfect car a 3.2 in Sebring, fixed roofed, manual, low mileage & the rest is history! :)

mutley
03-01-2009, 02:17 AM
I wasn't really looking for an NSX but what I was looking for was a fast car but also something different. My only other fast car I had was a Supra 3.0i Turbo, and did have a test driven a Mitsi GTO 3.0l Twin Turbo.

As I hunted around and spotted a car, there always semed to be everywhere, especially the Japanese sorts, Supra, 300zx, skyline, RX8 etc. I even looked at a Jag XKR.
But one day flicking through a mag I spotted an article on the NSX, and as soon as I saw it just thought " yes, that's the car for me" knowing that I had hardly ever saw one in the flesh out on the roads.

Also as a sub note, years ago I always said that I would own a Ferarri by the age of 35. After hunting around for about a year, I found my NSX, and I think I was 33/34 at the time, and as far as I am concered I did better than any ferarri for the same price and never looked back.

Most of you know my car is a bit of a problem child, having been given a very hard life before I got my hands on it, and even though problems are occurring faster than I can fix them, I fancied a project car, and what better car to have.

Jim

kevinpsw
03-01-2009, 07:21 AM
My first intro to the NSX was an article in one of the classic car magazines in about 2001. It was a comparison between an early NSX and a Ferrari 348. Whilst the Ferrari did have some things going for it - after all, it is a Ferrari - the judgement was that apart from the badge, the NSX was the better car. This was the case until the 355 came along.

My NSX ownership experience showed that the 'classic car something special' head-turning style and pleasing performance can be combined with reliability and manageable running costs (neither of which can be found with a 348 or 355).

Not that I have one anymore - motorway write off and subsequent tightening of the financial belt - the NSX remains a sensible and very pleasing choice of motor, even if better performance is now available cheaper, just as it was when I read that magazine.

Not that they are seen very often on the UK roads, I remain on NSX watch whenever I'm driving.

Sudesh
15-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Thought I would resurrect this as there have been some new members since the post and be interested to see there first introduction to the NSX.

gcon45
15-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I remember seeing one belonging to a friend of my Dad's called Paddy Heron in the mid-90s when I had just started secondary school.

Intrigued initially by how it looked I done some research into the car and was hugely impressed when I found out that Ayrton Senna had a hand in the design.

As I've been an avid F1 fan from a very young age (thanks Dad) this really ignited my fascination with the car.

I never thought I would be able to own one to be honest and there are still days that I have to pinch myself.

I can't imagine ever selling it. It's part of me now.

Sudesh
15-07-2010, 10:23 PM
I remember seeing one belonging to a friend of my Dad's called Paddy Heron in the mid-90s when I had just started secondary school.

Myself and Paddy done an NSX day with Harold McGarrity and other NSX owners of that time back in 1996. Was the first and only NSX meet I remember here.

Paddy still has an NSX, changed his red 1991 car years ago for a yellow 1996 car which my brother seen a couple of times last week. Very rare to see his car out, I would say in the last 3years it would have been lucky to see 1,500miles

gcon45
15-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah he doesn't have the NSX out much!

He has quite a nice collection of cars as well including some interesting cadilacs!

Is it true that he's recently bought a Ferrari 599?

Sudesh
15-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Not that I know off Connor? he did have a 430 but think that gone now. He's really good friends with Harold and I'm good friend with his Son, but they never mentioned the 599 and I havent seen it about yet, Paddy lives about 5mins from my office.

Yeah he doesn't have the NSX out much!

He has quite a nice collection of cars as well including some interesting cadilacs!

Is it true that he's recently bought a Ferrari 599?

Pampos
16-07-2010, 03:07 AM
Everything started 10 years ago when i bought my first car..A 93 Civic Hatch..From that moment i started to search about Honda's cars.In Cyprus at this time there were a lot of Supra, 300ZX Evolution,some 3000GT but not NSXs...it was the first time that i listen about NSX (poor me :().
i started searching about NSX and from the first time i saw it (on the net) i felt in love with that car...First of all it is a Honda,secondly it was developed with the help of Airton Sena(he was a legend for me),and thirdly there was not even one in Cyprus(as far as i knew)...
on 2005 it was time to change my car to buy something better and i went to a dealer to ask prices about the NSX..The meeting was very disappointing and depressive for me, as according to the stupid laws that we have in Cyprus ,only the taxes that i had to pay about that car were about 45-50 k Euros :eek:+ the value of the car + shipping to Cyprus+ the profit of the dealer...
i left the dealer almost crying sawing my dream to stay just a dream :(
so i went to a Honda dealer to by an other car and i bought the Honda Accord for about 35k euros and i asked for the price of a new NSX and it was about 160k euros...
so i said that this dream it is going to stay a dream for ever..
the last 3 years the taxes changed (very late for me) and i hate my self because of the price that i bought the Accord then,i can easily to buy an NSX NA1 today.(for the NA2 the taxes are still high,about 15k euros)..
For example if i buy an NA1 from UK for 20k GBP i will have to pay about 1,5k euros shipping, 1,5k euros taxes + 3k euros registration
So at the moment i am trying to sell my cars(Accord 05 and Civic 1,6 SIR 95) ,to save some more money , and to find an NA1 NSX to buy....

i hope that soon i will post some pictures of my new toy :cool:

sorry if i was to boring

amo
16-07-2010, 08:16 AM
well i was on a little meet in bristol and there was a nsx in the drive as well but i didnt like it thought it looked dated it was a standard red but my brother luved the nsx me driving a r34 skyline then but just got fed up with it seening too many then hyeline showed me a pic of the trial one in japan for 50k and i thought dam no way soo sexy and lush but id said to myself id never spend that on a car but kenzo talked me round took my skyline into partx and that was that when i got it i luv it 4 months later it was just too slow so started the money in it went supercharger now another engine low comp built and yes iv sold the supercharger and going turbo on this ill start anther post lol

by the way best car iv had and iv gone through a load of japanese cars nothing matches the nsx

thx amo

nobby
16-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi

I have always had a soft spot for Honda's from my teenage years. unfortunately my dad was extremely loyal to the Austin Rover/Rover Brand over the years so never got to enjoy Honda until they started working with Rover on the 200/400/600/800 series cars. As for me I always fancied the wee Civic but the insurance group was a killer on it and in N. Ireland we get royally shafted when it comes to ins premiums so it was always out of reach. It was not until I bought my first Honda back in 02 - a 1999 Accord Type R with optional black and red leather interior that I gained alot of respect for these cars. It was such a fantastic car to drive and one that has always remained with me.

It got me thinking back to the days at secondary school /tech (early 90's) when the NSX came out, it was a car i was fasicnated with back then, pictures on my wall cut out of mags along with the famous lambo contach posters all of us grew up with ... but never in a month of sundays would i think i would ever get one as the prices seemed so out of reach back then.

it was about a less than a year or so ago when a conversation at work with a colleague struck a cord with me. he had just recently purchased a 7/8 year old Masserati Coupe. i thought he was bonkers buying an old italian car but the price he paid and the performance/kit he got, really got me thinking about what should i do after i sell my previous car - an Evo 8. What could cut the mustard with the power and drive of this car with something different?

a new evo was always out of the question, had done my time with these road going rally cars ... It got me thinking about what cars Honda had built and it brought me back to the NSX.

I was still floored at the price of these cars to buy still (back in Jan 10) so with a lot of discussing and talking with the good wife (my bint :)) to a point and sort of getting an OK (without ever getting those words) I proceeded my research into potential purchase. so away i went onto this forum and many others basically from the start of this year right up until May of this year when i finally purchased my NSX; and during this time I was extremely fortunate to learn about Sudesh and he has pretty much guided me since. I don't think I would have ever purchased one UNLESS he had been around.

Like Connor (GCON45) I am still having to pinch myself that i actually now own one of these fine motor cars. Everytime I look at it, it does bring a smile to my face. Yes the car has cost me a fair whack of late, and appears its not going to let up on me anytime soon with my a/c problems etc. But when you step into the car (or in my case DROP) all those thoughts of the issues and cash spent just go away! when you turn the key and the engine fires up you know you are in something very special. AND THE DRIVE ... I thought the ATR and the Evo where great drivers cars ... the NSX takes that to a completely different level ... its fabulous.

I really still cannot believe i actually own one, those days of thinking of ever owning one back when i was a lad ... its mental, but a really nice mental feeling!

As with Connor, I too have pretty much made the decision that i am going to hold onto this car for as long as possible. I will buy 'shed's' for daily driving and spend no more than a few hundred quid. Honestly this car has grabbed me like no other. there is no way i would have ever thought about doing something like this up until buying the NSX. I was very taken with the ATR, and found it hard to let go, but this car is on another playing field. I HAVE NO DESIRE EVER to sell ... unless something drastic happens over the coming years of ownership.

so the start of 2010 was a lot of effort now midway through 2010 I am starting to enjoy the very long wait and the fruits of my research and purchase...

Nick Graves
16-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Except for the names & a few other changes,
if you talk about me,
the story's the same one.

As a lot of the foregoing.

My target car used to be the Ferrari 328GTS. Collected the models, etc. Posters on the wall...

Then as also a Car subscriber, those scanned issues came out. Thanks to LJKS, I was a Honda admirer anyway. But when I finally ran out of patience with the X-1/9 baby Ferrari, I got a different red one off Car's cover. It was a blue red one and had Mazda on it.

By that time, I'd realised that the Ferrari myth was exactly that and also that the most fun-to-drive cars are usually comparatively light and underpowered. I also realised that the status symbol thing was just a joke to me; the ultimate rebel without a clue.

Scroll forward almost a decade and desperate for an MX-5 replacement, I tried the Boxster. Lovely car, but it felt slower than the MX-5 when you ragged it. NFU at all and not for the money. Fortunately, the SSM was doing the motorshow rounds and the production version seemed promising.

About that time, Karen got the Civic VTi from Belgium and what a car! It even seemed very refined at the time, bouncy passenger side ride notwithstanding. I was back the following year for an S2000.

One day whilst wasting my life in the S2000, I found a red NSX in what's now Brayley's at Hatfield. Suddenly remembering the foregoing, I got chatting to the young sales guy, a really decent chap called Mark Kass. We went out for a long, hard test drive along my favorite route, and I sort of discovered what all the fuss was about on this sort of Prelude/S2000 on steroids. By this time I'd kind of got used to the press hyperbolising a new car only to slag it off once they weren't on the freebie list no more and had cancelled my subscription to "Car" whick had become taken over by The Style W ankers...

But I realised this was yet another very underrated Honda. Mark also remembered the drive when I saw him a few years ago...

Anyway, I couldn't quite buy that lovely red car (Damian W did!) and every time I tried to find or buy a decent one, it all went tits on me. So I bought a Prelude instead and now am totally hooked on active 4WS Hondas too.

Until this summer, when Matt took pity on me and sold me the doppelgaenger of that first one I drove (black roof apart!) back in 2002. So finally the collection is complete!

NSX100
16-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Good thread.

I had a 1962 Series 1 E Type OTS for a long time. Amazing fun to drive but scary and I never knew if I would arrive at my destination without something breaking. And not the most comfortable car either. So, I sold it and immediately missed not having something like that to drive for the hell of it.

So, I started researching. I was given a Boxster for the weekend. Superb drive but as common as muck. And as Jeremy said, a Boxster is for those who cannot afford a 911. Ferrari? - too poserish. Jaguar? Been there and anyway common. Aston? Too expensive. Merc 500 SL/SLK? - maybe. Nothing else seemed to do it for me.

And then by accident I came across a Ferrari dealer selling an NSX. That was it. Perfect. Brilliant in every respect and, by its very rarity, different. I wanted a low mileage pre-facelift 3.2 litre 6 speed targa. So I started avidly following this website. It took 3 years but I finally found the exact car last Christmas. The irony is, it may be the very one I first saw on the Ferrari dealer's website.

bernev
17-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I saw a NSX in 1992 in my village sometime in 1992. It was silver - it looked special. In 1997, I was a Director of the Porsche Club Great Britain and drove a 911SC. Old but very tidy. I had a Boxster (then new) on order. It was taking an age to arrive. A friend of mine mentioned that there was a nice 4 year old NSX coupe in the Bristol Honda dealership. It made me realise pretty much instantaneously that this was it - meticulous engineering and something just a bit more special than a Boxster at the same price. i was also pleased that it was the thinking person's choice and that it wasn't a Porsche. Turning up at the next Directors' meeting in it wasn't met with universal approval. I resigned shortly thereafter! I have since had 2 other NSX including my current one, and would not be tempted by any other "normal" supercar, including (particularly) Porsches, even if I realise that that the world has moved on. But, so what.

Nick Graves
17-07-2010, 07:12 PM
:D

Blimey! I knew the Porsche clubs have something of a "reputation", but that's a great story!

Silver Surfer
17-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Great story and reinforces the reason I will keep my NSX longterm!

SS

havoc
18-07-2010, 12:26 PM
I was a latecomer to petrolhead-ness. Didn't really 'get' cars or driving much until I got my first decent car (MB-series VTi) at 25, and quickly went through the 'overdriving' the car stage and then realsied I'd a lot to learn.

Loved the engine and the integrity of the Civic, though, and a couple of years later test-drove an ITR when looking for a replacement. That was it - smitten! Still of the opinion that the DC2 is one of the best 'real-world' drivers cars, and would probably pick it over an Elise purely for the accessibility and 'friendliness' of it.

And it was probably about then, 5 or 6 years ago, that I realised that an NSX might just be affordable in the future for me and I seriously started considering them. The more I read, the more I liked...and particularly the 'individuality' of the car - I've never liked going with the crowd or being predictable - even-though on-paper the NA1 was little-better than a 986 Boxster-S, everything suggested the stats were far from the full story.

Anyway, jobs and money (and being sensible and not getting into too much debt just for a car) meant I went to an S2000 before getting a 2nd ITR to run alongside it, and then last-year realised that whatever replaced the S might be my 'last hurrah' before we have kids.

So I joined this forum to find out more, had a good chat to Ewan and a few others (and a brief passenger-ride) at Gaydon last summer. And that was that...no more procrastinating, and I bought the first good one I found. In some ways maybe I should have waited - she's now got 96k on the clock and has had a 'full life' already. But mechanically she seems to have been looked-after, and I've tried to continue that. Part of me would love her to be a 'keeper', but financially that may not be viable. If not, I can definitely see me doing what others have and coming 'back to the fold' once money permits in the future...

Importantly, no other car has made me smile more just from the "that's my car!!!" feeling, and no other has made me look back over my shoulder more...

Nick Graves
18-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Good point Martin; I sometimes merely think "I've got an NSX in the garage" and it's enough to make me smile! Ridiculous, but great.

Midnight Blue
19-07-2010, 03:53 AM
I first came across an NSX in the flesh in the Honda dealer in Dubai shortly after they were launched. It was a RHD car in a LHD market, just brought in to brighten up the showroom.

I tried to buy it to export to my home in Brunei, the steering wheel would be on the correct side for us but they wouldn't sell it.

The Honda dealer in Brunei has never sold the NSX but despite that there are probably more here now per head of population than anywhere else in the world.

Regards,

Andy

Martin
19-07-2010, 09:27 PM
The first time I saw one was shortly after I learnt to drive, approx 2002, on the a33 between Reading and Basingstoke. It overtook me in my first car, a CRX :)

It was red and I thought it was a Ferrari...until I saw the "H" badge! I was in shock :)

Approx 2 years after getting my driving licence, I bought an NSX, and still have it 6 years later.

Why have I still got it 6 years later? Simple. Its such an easy car to live with.

Nick Graves
20-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Not bad for a second car!

IKWYM; hence we've owned the S2000 & Civic VTi for about a decade!

nobby
20-07-2010, 07:20 PM
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! :eek:

Not bad for a second car!

IKWYM; hence we've owned the S2000 & Civic VTi for about a decade!

gumball
21-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Contrary to some, I didn't care too much for the car when it was first released, thinking it an odd attempt to copy the established supercar makers, to say it's grown on me since then would be an understatement. :)

dan the man
22-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Mine was a memory id long forgotten about...Untill i got my first NSX.
My Dad said do u remember Eric who owned that chimp when u were kids and he once took u out in a flash car. I said ' oh yeah id forgotten about that'

He said - 'It was an NSX' I was like OMG no way i never even gave it a thought.

I was 7 or something i hardly remember but just got in and enjoyed the ride in this 'posh' car............

Then i got into Cars and realised whats what i got myself a DC2 and DC5. I then decided i wanted an S2000 as wanted RWD and another Honda ticked off the list....

INSURANCE WTF. It was SO expensive i couldlnt believe it, from £800 for the DC5 to £1800 for an S2000 worth less in value. Hmm. For the sake of it i said ok then quote me on an NSX. It was £900 and i was astonished. So i started looking at monthly payments and how much cars go for.

This is doable i said to myself. The pinnacle at 27. Lets do it.

Went to Japfest with Bazza in his NSX-R and since my youth that was the first NSX i had been in, WOW. I was spolit and blown away. I even turned it around in the car park- the first NSX i drove was an R !

Saw the yellow one for sale there by Mark and the rest is history. Had it a year and loved it, everyone loved the engine low down even had good pull. Noise looks the list goes on. (im glad its still in good hands too)

I was spolit by the R tho..... Damn if i could pick one car out of any it would be that. It was like my DC2s older more serious brother, so serious in attack mode and focued. Bazza does not realise when he ripped it down the back roads to Japfest how much he made my day. I was even scared at the ground it was covering....but little did i know of its ability...........

Sudesh
18-09-2011, 10:22 PM
A little bump as we have some new owners!

Hondaboy
19-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Well I found my nsx as I had the funds for something special to play with and was actually looking at old fezzas, cheap astons and other silly old super cars (which would break constantly lol).
Anyway I was running a 1989 prelude 4ws in White bought for £500 and honestly the best car I've ever owned wish I could of kept it but hey. So saw the White one for sale in the marketplace, it was in my budget, just up the road from me and it was a White Honda so had to go see it.
What can I say fell in love with it the minute I saw it and after a couple of hours with it put a deposit down

thelimpingwhippet
19-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Twenty years ago I was on a clinical attachment to the National Cancer Center in Tokyo and towards the end of my stay the Head of Department invited me to dine with him and his wife at a posh Japanese restaurant. We arrived at its underground car park which was festooned with Ferraris, Lambos, Mercs etc. and, by itself next to the lifts, an immaculate red NSX, the first one I had seen in the flesh. We both stopped for a few minutes to inspect it.

The HoD then smiled in a very Japanese way and said "Someone important is dining here tonight." and added "Diggory San I know some people at Honda, would you like me to get them to order you one!"

I replied in my best Japanese, "Takai des ne" (unfortunately is too expensive)

Strangely the only time I have used that phase since was two weeks ago when I tried to order a front O2 sensor for my NSX from Honda Japan!

Lowndes
28-09-2011, 02:58 PM
In 91 I had a Porsche 930 and would have considered changing it for an NSX. However work commitments intervened and I spent thenext 4 years overseas.

When I got back to UK in 95 an NSX was again an option but lack of availability/long delivery on the Honda meant I went 993. As I have posted elsewhere on here, the chains of the Stuttgart habit are hard to break and as a default it was always the easy option; and OPC’s have a ready supply of coffee and Vaseline for their prospective customers.

A combination of lethargy and inertia meant a few years ago I missed what sounded like a nice blue facelift car.

Then by chance I came upon this site, joined, and placed a wanted add. A month later I drove away in Ollie’s second car, having never sat in one before.

And although some of the incumbent Stuttgart metal is likely to be replaced,... 991 anyone?... the chances are in 5 years time the NSX will still be here.

Funny how things turn out!

Sudesh
11-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Havent bumped this in a while!

candyman
11-04-2012, 04:09 PM
I also saw it at the U.K. motor show launch and just thought it looked so 'right'. I never thought I would ever own one at the time. I also had a 3oozx which was fun. I had a Renault Alpine before which was a fantastic car-if only it had been built by Honda! Had a 635csi for many years which was also brilliant until the bodywork eventually gave up, plus 3 Opel Monzas which were great but a bit underpowered, and a 205 diesel which didn't get great mpg the way I drove it.

NSX-FAN
11-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Since i saw an early Jeremy Clarkson video which featured the Orange pre facelift driven by Tim Harvey and Richard Burns i was hooked on the NSX. I will get one one day.

nobby
11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
was this P27 0LU by any chance?

keep the dream alive ... you will get there! :)

btw like your sig ... a great driver for sure

Since i saw an early Jeremy Clarkson video which featured the Orange pre facelift driven by Tim Harvey and Richard Burns i was hooked on the NSX. I will get one one day.

NSX-FAN
13-04-2012, 03:45 PM
was this P27 0LU by any chance?

keep the dream alive ... you will get there! :)

btw like your sig ... a great driver for sure

It was yes, i know the NSX was a great car from then on and it was the only car Clarkson said "you know what i like this thing so much i am going for another lap" the sound of the car also drew me towards it.

jpspringall
13-04-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm actually quite shocked i've not posted to this thread!

I drove my boss' NSX for about half a mile in 2002, and that was it i wanted one, 8 years on 8th July 2010 the dream was realised

Almost 2 years later....I still have the NSX smile.

So Yes NSX-Fan You will get there, and when you do, you know there's a great group of people to help you out.

James