PDA

View Full Version : Have i worked this out right???

jaytip
17-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Can someone tell me if i've worked out my MPG figures correctly before i go back to my local Honda dealership and play hell with them.
I filled the car up at a motorway service station,until the nozzle clicked (106.9 per litre) then drove 140 miles home and refuelled at my local petrol station,again until the nozzle clicked,also 106.9 per litre.
I put in 14.68 litres,so here is the maths part.
14.68 litres = 3.23 gallons (4.54 litres per gallon)
140 miles / 3.23 gallons = 43.3 MPG
Is this correct?

What is annoying is that i did 70mph all the way home and my car is a 2.2 diesel accord,so i "should" have been getting a figure nearer to 60MPG.
I had the exhaust manifold replaced last week and i'm wondering if they have done something wrong.I did a round trip of 335 miles to London in October and did it on half a tank.This time i left home to go to Heathrow(300 mile round trip)with just under half a tank and ten miles after leaving Heathrow my fuel light came on.Something is definately wrong.

simonprelude
17-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Heating, lights etc will seriously reduce economy, could this be the difference ?

AR
17-12-2008, 02:37 PM
How are your tyres?

Where you carrying a lot of weight?

Stop and start?

Cheers,

Ary

jaytip
17-12-2008, 02:46 PM
It was motorway from the time i reset my trip computer to within 10 miles of my house.
It was an all but identical trip to the one i did in October.On that one it was me,the wife and the baby and all our holiday luggage,and on this trip it was the same but with one extra passenger,and only her luggage(a small suitcase)
I was doing a steady 70MPH all the way home,except for roadworks where i reduced the speed to 50MPH because i wanted to see if it was my driving or the car that was making the difference.
Simon,i dont think lights and heating will make 17MPG difference in fuel economy.
Ary,tyres were all ok because i had a puncture in one of them that was repaired before setting off and i checked the pressure in all the others as well.

Edit.To put this sort of economy into perspective,i drive a diesel octavia taxi and i get about 38MPG out of that with stop/start town driving,and that car has 150000(hard) miles on it compered to my cars 67000.

jaytip
17-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Back to my original question though folks,have i worked out the MPG correctly,because i would feel a bit stupid going there to complain only to be told that i had worked it out wrong.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Lankstarr
17-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Your math is correct.

Lankstarr FIA:laugh:

jaytip
17-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Your math is correct.

Lankstarr FIA:laugh:
Thank you.

TheSebringOne
17-12-2008, 11:37 PM
FIA, Luke isn't that the organisation that a certain Max Mosley heads!? :unsure: