PDA

View Full Version : New NSX news

Kevin
17-12-2008, 07:31 AM
For those of you that don't read the Honda news feed I put in place.

The development of the V10 NSX replacement has been cancelled.

You heard it here first folks.

Senninha
17-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Which is what I suggested would happen following the decision to leave F1 .....

Kevin
17-12-2008, 08:26 AM
IF you're a glass is half full kind of person, you could read into the statement that the 'V10 engined NSX successor' has been cancelled doesn't stop a different engined version.

Maybe they'll drop in a hydrogen fuel cell in it instead.

simonprelude
17-12-2008, 08:26 AM
For those of you that don't read the Honda news feed I put in place.

For some reason when you do a search for new topics they don't come up, so often get overlooked by me anyway.

DamianW
17-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm not shedding any tears to be honest.

278kmh
17-12-2008, 04:30 PM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-nsx-cancelled.html
Acura NSX cancelled; Honda slashes forecast

Honda CEO Takeo Fukui on Wednesday said his company has been forced to cancel the next-generation Acura NSX sports car due to poor economic conditions. The news came during a speech about the automaker’s revised financial forecast. Plans to bring the Acura brand to Japan have also been shelved permanently, the Nikkei news service has reported.
“The situation is worsening by the day, and there is no prospect for recovery, is our understanding,” Fukui told reporters.
The NSX was a much-anticipated V10-powered sports car in the late stages of development. Designed as a successor to the original model of the same name, the new NSX was slated to be launched as a 2010 model. The project was subject to multiple delays related to the vehicle’s exterior design, but those problems were recently overcome.
Fukui previously characterized the new NSX as “necessary for Honda.”
The company indicated its operating profits will be 180 billion yen ($2 billion), down 67 percent from the forecasted 550 billion yen. There’s even a chance, according to Reuters, the automaker will report a half-year operating loss — for the latter part of 2008. If that happens, it will be the the first time in at least 11 years. Also hurting the income forecast is the yen’s strength against the U.S. dollar, which further compounds the U.S. sales problem.
The debut of the Acura brand — originally U.S.-only — in Japan was originally planned for late 2008, but was recently delayed until 2010. Given the economic downturn, Honda said it decided to cancel the costly program all together.
Honda also announced it will cut production by 314,000 vehicles worldwide for the current fiscal year, according to Bloomberg. It also will eliminate about 1,200 temporary jobs in Japan.

jaytip
17-12-2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-nsx-cancelled.html

The project was subject to multiple delays related to the vehicle’s exterior design, but those problems were recently overcome.
Yeah right.Who were they kidding.

Minch
17-12-2008, 06:56 PM
. . .read it myself . . .

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/233183/honda_cancel_nsx_supercar.html

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I wonder would this in anyway affect the value of our NSX then?

AR
17-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Probably not Sudesh, but R Prices will keep climbing.

So I guess is Gallardos for everyone in a near future.

Senninha
17-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Probably not Sudesh, but R Prices will keep climbing.

So I guess is Gallardos for everyone in a near future.

Or take an R8 for a more stealth variant of the breed :)

278kmh
17-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I wonder would this in anyway affect the value of our NSX then?
:D

In Germany, the already high prices
(i have "lost" less than 10000 euro in 11 years)
but i will sell it NEVER

craigdonnelly
17-12-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm really disappointed there isn't going to be a new Honda supercar. I was really looking forward to seeing it thump the GTR. Things must be really bad for the car industry because Subaru have pulled out of rallying!!!

Why Don't we all start our own business like TVR, Noble and Ascari etc and buy the rights to the NSX???

We can bring back the pop ups, give it a new dash and sell it in low numbers to avoid the emissions & crash test's! :think:

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm really disappointed there isn't going to be a new Honda supercar. I was really looking forward to seeing it thump the GTR. Things must be really bad for the car industry because Subaru have pulled out of rallying!!!

Why Don't we all start our own business like TVR, Noble and Ascari etc and buy the rights to the NSX???

We can bring back the pop ups, give it a new dash and sell it in low numbers to avoid the emissions & crash test's! :think:

I didnt know Subaru pulled out!! I read Suzuki did through the week.:(

TheSebringOne
17-12-2008, 11:05 PM
I wander whether the new NSX whenever it comes out is good or bad news? Had it came out already, it could make things worst for the prices of our current cars or better? I suppose with the delays it will make our cars even rarer, but then again a new model can breathe fresh interest to its previous generation!

craigdonnelly
17-12-2008, 11:09 PM
confirmation about subaru...

I've never owned one but Subaru leaving rallying is like Brazil leaving football (soccer)

http://www.swrt.com/news/latest_news.html?id=1590

Ewan
True, a new model might well raise awareness/interest in the old one... but then if a new model was such a departure from the old one, it could be both a blessing in disguise or could take away from what the old one achieved.

In some ways, I'm pleased they aren't going to do a new NSX anytime soon - it means when people think "NSX", they think of our cars... rather than have to qualify it like Skyline or even 911 owners might do.

TheSebringOne
Ary or Paul (S), what do you mean Gallardos or R8s for everyone in the future? Hope your'e not both thinking of parting with your NSX in the future? :eek:

TheSebringOne
17-12-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree in that I'm glad with the delays since the new front engined GT car NSX (if thats what Honda were proposing) rather than a mid engined supercar like ours, is NO REAL successor! Whether its got a V10, over 500 bhp etc etc

AR
17-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Ary or Paul (S), what do you mean Gallardos or R8s for everyone in the future? Hope your'e not both thinking of parting with your NSX in the future? :eek:

I think at the moment I am a bit fed up since I have not had a chance to use it since mid September. The R8 is quite nice but a manual Gallardo is a fun machine, and at the prices they are going for...

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 11:26 PM
It would be a "NO THANKS" to both the R8 and Gallardo for me. Nice cars but lacking in the "something special/unique" feeling for me.

BabyG
18-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Surprising the number of people who've identified the R8 as some kind of natural relation to the NSX, I'm watching the prices fall with some interest. Bring on the V10, will push those V8 prices down a shade further...

Kevin
18-12-2008, 06:12 AM
I have the solution for two car companies that will help them both, and produce a car that we all would buy.

Honda and Aston Martin work together.

Think about it. Let Honda do the engineering for Aston Martin. Then we'll get a DB9 that looks great, and, goes well and is reliable as a Honda. Honda have a big V10 engine and clever 4WD system (that outdoes a GTR) just looking for a car to put it in. Aston make the prettiest body and nice interior, but their reliability sucks, and the engine is old and thirsty.

Aston owners will be happy to have a car that doesn't cost a fortune to run. Honda gets to show to their customers that they power Astons.

Astons also race at Le Mans, and Honda have always believed racing (up to now) improves the breed.

Go on, let's have a Aston Honda DB11.

Shame the new NSX isn't being worked on. I know the European product manager for the GTR who is based out here in Switzerland. He goes to the Ring a lot, and has seen the car in action. Even he says the Honda looked awesome. It sounded amazing, really loud, and they knew it was fast and they weren't even pushing it yet.

markdas
18-12-2008, 08:19 AM
That, is a bloody good idea.

When my wife and I decided to buy the NSX, we had a budget of £22K and I had been gearing up to buy a DB7 which I think looks and sounds fantastic and a few were appearing in that price range.

But it was the shear fact that it is old technology (even when it was made) XJS type foundation but with that beautiful styling as Kev points out....so to plump for the NSX gave me no worries in terms of reliability etc.

If one day I have the money for a new Aston, I would still worry about driving it hard....there are so many stories even of DB9's having engine and gearbox faults!

Kevin
18-12-2008, 08:24 AM
What's more I just realised something. David Richards, who is being rumoured at the moment to take over Honda F1, is a common connection with Honda and Aston Martin.

I too am watching the DB9 prices fall. I hope to have and take a DB9 to Le Mans next year. However I cringe at the thought of the servicing costs. OK, if some bits break I'd fix a lot myself and avoid the AM dealer's charges, but I still don't want it breaking down while out driving, or major things to fail. The 7000 mile service interval may cost £3k, but 7000 miles for me would take 3 years to do, and that's in the NSX at the moment which I don't have to worry about running costs!

Go on Dave, make us a Aston Honda.

craigdonnelly
18-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Good idea, Astons have Mondeo engines anyway and Bently use VW engines.

I was surprised that Honda dropped the NSX because it looked almost ready to go so therefore all the development costs must be nearly over.

Also if the GTR helps sell more Micra's then surely the NSX would help sell more Civic's and the new Clarity.

Honda maybe should stop building Robot's and mechanical legs and use the money for cars.

Another thing that has bothered me about the car industry for a while is all the different models and crossovers they have. Surely they cost a lot of money to redesign and re-tool machines.

Kevin
18-12-2008, 08:36 AM
If you read the full Honda report you will notice that Honda think of themselves as a power company.

To them it doesn't matter, making cars or solar panels. To me I would rather Honda stop the NSX dev if the economic situation forces them to, produce small cars that people want and stay in business. Rather than try to make sports cars that won't sell and sends them bankrupt.

At least they will be able to weather out the current crisis and make sports again one day.

WhyOne?
18-12-2008, 08:42 AM
The 7000 mile service interval may cost £3k, but 7000 miles for me would take 3 years to do.....

I too have been watching with interest the tumbling value of AM's, but like you the running costs have been a serious concern.

Is the 7k miles service interval just that, or is it the more usual 'every 7k miles or 12 months whichever is reached 1st' type schedule?

278kmh
18-12-2008, 03:51 PM
confirmation about subaru...

I've never owned one but Subaru leaving rallying is like Brazil leaving football (soccer)

http://www.swrt.com/news/latest_news.html?id=1590
yes , i also think so. formula 1 without honda is not that dramatic for me

I agree in that I'm glad with the delays since the new front engined GT car NSX (if thats what Honda were proposing) rather than a mid engined supercar like ours, is NO REAL successor! Whether its got a V10, over 500 bhp etc etc
thats what i thought from the beginning

Honda and Aston Martin work together......is reliable as a Honda..
never, because it will be a Aston. they cant build cars like a NSX. remember , in the time the NSX was released, even porsche cant do.
dont misunderstand me, i like the aston-martins, but they are totally other cars than a NSX

Good idea, Astons have Mondeo engines anyway and Bently use VW engines.
for about years i wondered why the elise has no civic-type-r engine

Honda maybe should stop building Robot's .....and use the money for cars..
i agree, but for the japanese, robots are THAT thing

Senninha
18-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Kevin,

You're a genious (as some of us know already) ..

I would be more than a little interested in the DB11 with Honda SAWD and reliability :thumbsup::beer:

Start a poll and then lets send the request to Dave ... if anyone can make it happen in this crazy world of component sharing, then I would back him to have the ability to pull it off.

He also has capacity following the withdrawal from WRC by Scooby.

regards, Paul

Nick Graves
02-01-2009, 07:15 PM
The Acura GT5000 WAS aimed at Aston; they had ambitions to become Teir 1 and this was their halo product.

It thus wouldn't have had any impact on NSX values, except perhaps to make the car look even more timeless.

It's one of the reasons I hate threads misdescribing it as the 'new NSX'. Honda referred to it as the "NSX successor." Such descriptive errors only confuse readers.

GT5000 is a WYSIWYG I invented, since the first mules used a streched S2000 body over the 5-litre V10 platform!

AR
02-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I was told by an insider that the problem was not funds, but emissions and that another one with a hitec engine is on the way. Take it for what is worth, but I am hopeful that we shall have a new Honda Sports Car in the next two years with performance to match the GTR.

Cheers,

AR

charlie:one
02-01-2009, 07:57 PM
hi all well if honda have shelved the new nsx, i better take my name of the list then, i have got a test drive in the new GTR next week and the R8 the following week ill let know how they compare nigel

278kmh
02-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I would be more than a little interested in the DB11 with Honda SAWD and reliability ... if anyone can make it happen in this crazy world of component sharing,...
Honda has never shared components and will never do

BlueNSX
02-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I was told by an insider that the problem was not funds, but emissions and that another one with a hitec engine is on the way. Take it for what is worth, but I am hopeful that we shall have a new Honda Sports Car in the next two years with performance to match the GTR.

Cheers,

AR

Do Tell ???

AR
02-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Do Tell ???

That is all he told me, no dates, just soon and front engine.

Senninha
02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
hi all well if honda have shelved the new nsx, i better take my name of the list then, i have got a test drive in the new GTR next week and the R8 the following week ill let know how they compare nigel

Why would you go for either, especially the R8 when you can get something like this for GTR money .. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/724138.htm

They are some now below £60k which has to be a steal for one of these!

They even do them in white ;)

regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
03-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Paul (S) surely your'e not a 997 TT fan are you !?

278kmh
03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
That is all he told me, no dates, just soon and front engine.
and

doubleshiftgearbox (direct transmission?)from ZF

mutley
03-01-2009, 02:03 AM
I really do think that Honda should make another supercar, but also agree with not using the name "new NSX"

The NSX is what it is, and if a new supercar comes along with a Honda badge, then that will be what that is.

it's like saying the Ferarri 360 is the new testarossa!

just my tuppence worth,

Jim

278kmh
03-01-2009, 04:08 AM
I really do think that Honda should make another supercar, but also agree with not using the name "new NSX"

The NSX is what it is, and if a new supercar comes along with a Honda badge, then that will be what that is.

it's like saying the Ferarri 360 is the new testarossa!

just my tuppence worth,

Jim

these are my words

NSXGB
03-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Why would you go for either, especially the R8 when you can get something like this for GTR money .. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/724138.htm

regards, Paul

....had the very same conversation down the pub last night, apparently they have gone for £50k at auction recently.

Kevin
03-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda has never shared components and will never do

Apart from a whole range of Rover cars with Honda engines and gearboxes.

mutley
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Yeah I thought of mentioning that but didn't wan't to look a complete twat if i was mistaken!

Jim

Senninha
03-01-2009, 09:32 AM
....had the very same conversation down the pub last night, apparently they have gone for £50k at auction recently.

Which, if I had £50k to spend on a new toy, it would be into the 911 and not the GTR, which is very accomplished but I'm told, not engaging to drive ......

As for the R8, just my opinion, but on the road it looks like a lardy TT and whilst it may drive superbly and for many be the natural succesor to the NSX, when you see how many are on Pistonheads (typically 40 a month), I think it will be a while before it reaches its natural pricing :)

regards, Paul

Lankstarr
03-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah I thought of mentioning that but didn't wan't to look a complete twat if i was mistaken!

Jim

you wouldn't need to be mistaken to look a tw@ Jim:laugh:

NSXGB
03-01-2009, 10:16 AM
GTR, which is very accomplished but I'm told, not engaging to drive ......

My mate drove one round the Nurburgring (he has one on order) and those were his sentiments entirely....still having it though!

NoelWatson
03-01-2009, 11:26 AM

regards, Paul

I guess because the GT-R is a better car than the Turbo

NoelWatson
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Which, if I had £50k to spend on a new toy, it would be into the 911 and not the GTR, which is very accomplished but I'm told, not engaging to drive ......

As for the R8, just my opinion, but on the road it looks like a lardy TT and whilst it may drive superbly and for many be the natural succesor to the NSX, when you see how many are on Pistonheads (typically 40 a month), I think it will be a while before it reaches its natural pricing :)

regards, Paul

I reckon the R8 will be sub 40k in a year's time

278kmh
03-01-2009, 12:52 PM
yes, your right. i forgot this. i´ve seen maybe 10 in my live here in germany. accord with rover-emblem and also 5-door-civic. were there others?

AR
03-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Ariel Atom comes to mind as a Honda engine car.

mutley
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
you wouldn't need to be mistaken to look a tw@ Jim:laugh:

Luke, cheers mate, with friends like you, who needs enemies eh?

markc
05-01-2009, 12:17 PM

regards, Paul

A whole 40 ehh... today on Pistonheads there are 35 of them. In comparison there are 88 Ferrari 360's, 144 F430's, 65 DB9's, 48 GT3's and 133 Turbos advertised there. Ohh and 8 NSX's ;)

I reckon the R8 will be sub 40k in a year's time

Cool... maybe I can persuade the Mrs to upgrade her current model TT Cab to an R8 in a year or so. The NSX stays though :)

Mark

NoelWatson
05-01-2009, 01:00 PM
A whole 40 ehh... today on Pistonheads there are 35 of them. In comparison there are 88 Ferrari 360's, 144 F430's, 65 DB9's, 48 GT3's and 133 Turbos advertised there. Ohh and 8 NSX's ;)

Cool... maybe I can persuade the Mrs to upgrade her current model TT Cab to an R8 in a year or so. The NSX stays though :)

Mark

Are you tempted by the Evora?

markc
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Are you tempted by the Evora?

I don't think so. Why?

1) Saw the mock up at Silverstone and wasn't blown away by the looks.
2) It's still finished in GRP, sorry composite, which doesn't quite do it for me in the same way that aluminium does.
3) I don't want/need the extra 2 seats.

Without seeing the finished artical I prefer both the look and spec of the R8.

W.R.T the Evora though, 280hp and 1350kg does sound very familiar ;)

Mark

AR
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't think so. Why?

2) It's still finished in GRP, sorry composite, which doesn't quite do it for me in the same way that aluminium does.

Mark

Mark I agree, the R8 looks more "solid" than the Lotus.

NoelWatson
05-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't think so. Why?

Mark

I may be forced into a car with occasional rear seats, so was thinking it may be this or the GT-R. They will have a demo car in April so I am going to have a test drive.

markc
05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I may be forced into a car with occasional rear seats, so was thinking it may be this or the GT-R. They will have a demo car in April so I am going to have a test drive.

That, along with the everyday usability, was always the U.S.P of the Porsche Carrera/911. The other compact and properly sporting option has always been the BMW M3. Merc SL's, Masser GT's, DB9's, Jag XK's and indeed the old Skyline's didn't quite cut it.

It's good that a couple of new options will shortly be available :) Makes for an interesting choice... brute force (GTR) vs subtle nimbleness (Evora) vs low key "Q" car'ness (M3) vs the establishment (Carrera).

Mark

NoelWatson
05-01-2009, 04:40 PM
That, along with the everyday usability, was always the U.S.P of the Porsche Carrera/911. The other compact and properly sporting option has always been the BMW M3. Merc SL's, Masser GT's, DB9's, Jag XK's and indeed the old Skyline's didn't quite cut it.

It's good that a couple of new options will shortly be available :) Makes for an interesting choice... brute force (GTR) vs subtle nimbleness (Evora) vs low key "Q" car'ness (M3) vs the establishment (Carrera).

Mark

If they made official rear seats for the 997 GT3 my mind would be made up. N

ot sure why they aren't putting the DI engine in (2GR-FSE) the Evora

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

DAVEMAT
06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
How's about this for an alternative????

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RkSu3Aa2XTg