PDA

View Full Version : My Removed Items [weight reduction]

Sudesh
16-12-2008, 06:52 PM
So thought I would make a list of the items and see what your thoughts are on the weight?? I'm tempted to get the car weighed if I can get a break in the weather; but so far here it goes:

This is a list of items that I have removed or the car didn’t have anyway.
Also when removing items, I have removed just about everything! Bolts brackets and wiring harness in places.

Power Steering
Airbags
Airbag sensors and control module all components/brackets
OEM Steering wheel and slip ring
Fog lights and all components/brackets
All OEM Speakers and Sound system
Cruise Control and all components removed
Remote Aerial and all components/brackets
CD changer, cables and mounting brackets
Ashtray and all components
Centre panel with the 4 buttons
Mirror switch
Floor Sound deadening
Engine bay fan
OEM Steering colum covers
OEM Gear Knob
OEM Induction box all components and pipe into side vent
Spare Wheel
OEM battery
OEM Suspension

As my car is JDM it doesnt have headlight wash and the smaller rear bumper [number plate thingy]

Items added to replace some of the above
OEM NSX-R boss and Momo Wheel
OEM NSX-R Gear Knob
NSX-R Gear Gaiter
NSX-R style engine cover
NSX-R Steering Colu covers
Aftermarket very light weight induction system
Centre panel replaced with NSX-R coin tray
Door mirror switch replaced with NSX-R mini coin tray
Light weight battery 5.2KG
Endless Zeal Coilovers and springs

I may have missed something? So if I have I'll update the thread.

AR
16-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Sudesh have you given consideration to the exhaust side of things?

Also the bumper beams and the extra tie down hooks weight a ton.

Cheers,

Ary

Sudesh
16-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Sudesh have you given consideration to the exhaust side of things?

Also the bumper beams and the extra tie down hooks weight a ton.

Cheers,

Ary

Hi Ay,

I havent though about the exhaust yet. My car still has the standard. I didnt realise the bumper beams were different?? Any pointers Ary?

Are the TIE DOWN HOOKS, the ones up on the wheel wells?

amo
16-12-2008, 07:40 PM
also the rear window get a lexen 1
save u a load there
thx amo

AR
16-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi Ay,

I havent though about the exhaust yet. My car still has the standard. I didnt realise the bumper beams were different?? Any pointers Ary?

Are the TIE DOWN HOOKS, the ones up on the wheel wells?

Sudesh, from 1997 onwards the cars had a rear aluminium bumper beam.

The tie downs are newr the wheels by the muffler and also by the radiators on the front.

Cheers,

Ary

Sudesh
16-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks Amo, must have a look into that, is there much difference in weight? and can you get it without the vent and more of an OEM look?

I did realise the NSX-R had a lighter hatch/thinner glass, so was going to wait and see if I can turn up a damaged NSX-R up in Japan, for some of the items I would like to change.

Ary I just had a quick look and noticed the tie down hooks you mentioned! So I'll get those removed at the weekend.

On the bumper beam, will the later aluminium beam fit earlier cars ok?

AR
16-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks Amo, must have a look into that, is there much difference in weight? and can you get it without the vent and more of an OEM look?

I did realise the NSX-R had a lighter hatch/thinner glass, so was going to wait and see if I can turn up a damaged NSX-R up in Japan, for some of the items I would like to change.

Ary I just had a quick look and noticed the tie down hooks you mentioned! So I'll get those removed at the weekend.

On the bumper beam, will the later aluminium beam fit earlier cars ok?

Sudesh is only the NA2 that the rear bumper beam was changed. The NASX-R also had the lighter bumpers. The rear bumper beam is interchangeable.

Cheers,

Ary

Sudesh
16-12-2008, 09:40 PM
The NASX-R also had the lighter bumpers. The rear bumper beam is interchangeable.

Ary did you mean NA1 or NA2 here??

On another note, does the NA1 NSX-R, have no Traction Control??? I'm having at look at some NSX-R bits I'm after, and just noticed the Blank TC Switch on an NSX-R?

Lankstarr
17-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Replacing exhaust and cats will probably save you more than the total you have done so far :oO

Seats are the other biggie but I thought you had that sorted!?

Luke

AR
17-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Sudesh that is correct NA1-NASX-R.

No TC, but AC and stereo was an option.

Cheers,

Ary

markc
17-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Make sure you get an accurate before weight ie of the standard car (full fuel tank etc) preferably using individual digital linked scales. Most performance or motorsport w'shops have these and they're designed for the job.

The local weighbridge is more for lorries and heavier loads so will probably be a lot less accurate.

Noel, weighed his car (2004 facelift) at TDI during out RR day but the rest of us either forgot or had left by then.

Weighing the parts removed on kitchen scales or similar and summing the combined weights of the parts removed should be an exact science but rarely turns out to be. Making friends with the local performance w'shop will allow you to accurate chart your progress :)

Cheers

Mark

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Replacing exhaust and cats will probably save you more than the total you have done so far :oO

Seats are the other biggie but I thought you had that sorted!?

Luke

No seats just yet Luke. I'm on the fence on either going with the Pole Positions or Hanging off till I get a set or originals with rails and all. I do like the Pole Positions and I as mentioned before, I have a guy that can re-trim them to my liking, but the "right" seat rails seem to be an issue. I contaced a guy on prime, who is doing a package of seats and rails, to see what rails he is offering. So waiting for a reply from him.

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Make sure you get an accurate before weight ie of the standard car (full fuel tank etc) preferably using individual digital linked scales. Most performance or motorsport w'shops have these and they're designed for the job.

The local weighbridge is more for lorries and heavier loads so will probably be a lot less accurate.

Noel, weighed his car (2004 facelift) at TDI during out RR day but the rest of us either forgot or had left by then.

Weighing the parts removed on kitchen scales or similar and summing the combined weights of the parts removed should be an exact science but rarely turns out to be. Making friends with the local performance w'shop will allow you to accurate chart your progress :)

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark! I was planning on taking the car to my local vosa station as they have a weigh bridge. I dont know any local performance centres at the moment that have the setup for weighing but must make some inquiries.

Senninha
17-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Sudesh,

Theres another small and neat little reductin you can make, particularly as you like to 'fettle' as they say ...

The bonnet catch has an extended 'leg' that is used primarily for the JDM market that offered under bonnet lighting (not really sure why). Without this lighting it serves absolutely no purpose.

I made good use of the dremmel to remove this and match both side of the catch when installing my new CF rad cover. I alsi finished it in satin black which completed the job.

Its only ounces but every little helps :)

regards, Paul

Sudesh
17-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Any pics of that Paul as I'm not really sure what you mean, forgive my ignorance.....

Maybe best to pop the bonnet and take a look.

Sudesh
19-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Ary,

I took the tie down hooks off, you were right quite heavey! Put one on the scale with the bolts, Weight was about 0.5KG each.

NSXGB
19-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Ary,

I took the tie down hooks off, you were right quite heavey! Put one on the scale with the bolts, Weight was about 0.5KG each.

You may need to put one of them back on if you decide to install the TypeR bars....or modify the bar I suppose.