PDA

View Full Version : Porsche-Nissan, handbags at dawn

markc
07-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Porsche accused Nissan of cheating to achieve their headline 7min 29sec Nurburgring lap in the GTR. Nissan have denied it and accused Porsche of sour grapes... all very funny :)

The guys at the online motor magazine "Drivers Republic" conducted their own experiment which I think is quite interesting and fun. Chris Harris (good bloke in my opinion) wrties the words and does the commentary over the video...

Article... http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/thetruth030/?pg=1&pm=1&u1=friend

Video... http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr%5Ftv/?videoid=61a64bd813c44161b345e9f706147ad9&area=features

Enjoy

Mark

Lankstarr
07-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Great article - thanks for sharing.

I'd take the GTR and am becoming quite warmed to it:eek:

Cheesr,

Luke

BlueNSX
07-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Great article - thanks for sharing.

I'd take the GTR and am becoming quite warmed to it:eek:

Cheesr,

Luke

Mark C,

Thanks for the great article. Please sell your car to me and buy a GTR :rolleyes:

Cheers

markc
07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Please sell your car to me and buy a GTR :rolleyes:
Cheers

Ha ha, sorry Mark mine's staying. I'd take an R8 over either of the above though anyway :)

For even more fun you can play Gan San's legendery 7min 57sec lap in the NSX-R alongside Harris's GT2/GT-R laps. Give them a good long while to buffer/download, sync them at the first corner and enjoy :)

Download the NSX-R lap in MP4 format from Google here... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7014510364856677447

Gan San shows massive commitment and is probably THE expert in a NSX-R but it's interesting to watch.

The NSX is fair bit faster than both the others through the slow(er) early part of the lap, although Chris does say it was slippery there, only being "passed" by the Porsche going into Flugplatz.
The GT-R then pegs back the NSX-R through the really fast run to Aremberg. From then on the GT-R and NSX-R are nip and tuck. The NSX-R steals a small lead by Wehrsiefen but by the Karussell the GT-R is level again. By the Eiskurve the NSX-R is slightly ahead but at mini-Karussell they're level again. The GT-R takes 2 secs out of the NSX-R on the Dottinger Hohe straight.

In case you wondering why I'm being such a sad geek, I'm on my own sitting in a hotel near Schiphol airport with sod all else to do :(

Cheers

Mark

BlueNSX
07-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Ha ha, sorry Mark mine's staying. I'd take an R8 over either of the above though anyway :)

For even more fun you can play Gan San's legendery 7min 57sec lap in the NSX-R alongside Harris's GT2/GT-R laps. Give them a good long while to buffer/download, sync them at the first corner and enjoy :)

Download the NSX-R lap in MP4 format from Google here... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7014510364856677447

Gan San shows massive commitment and is probably THE expert in a NSX-R but it's interesting to watch.

The NSX is fair bit faster than both the others through the slow(er) early part of the lap, although Chris does say it was slippery there, only being "passed" by the Porsche going into Flugplatz.
The GT-R then pegs back the NSX-R through the really fast run to Aremberg. From then on the GT-R and NSX-R are nip and tuck. The NSX-R steals a small lead by Wehrsiefen but by the Karussell the GT-R is level again. By the Eiskurve the NSX-R is slightly ahead but at mini-Karussell they're level again. The GT-R takes 2 secs out of the NSX-R on the Dottinger Hohe straight.

In case you wondering why I'm being such a sad geek, I'm on my own sitting in a hotel near Schiphol airport with sod all else to do :(

Cheers

Mark

Mark

Far from sad - fairly interesting actually !!!

keep it coming !!!

Cheers

jaytip
07-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm somewhat supprised at the GT2/GTR comparison.I was under the impression that it was the 911 turbo that was the GTR's benchmark,not the GT2 :dunno:

markc
07-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm somewhat supprised at the GT2/GTR comparison.I was under the impression that it was the 911 turbo that was the GTR's benchmark,not the GT2 :dunno:

True but the article is about the time Nissan set which at 7min 29secs was faster than Porsche claimed for the GT2 (7min 32secs) and hence the comparison. The 997 Turbo is supposed to have posted 7min 38secs.

There's no question that the GT-R posted the 7min 29sec time (it's available on youtube etc as well) it's just that particular car's state of tune, and Nissan's ethics, that's being questioned.

Cheers

Mark

NSX 2000
07-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Cheers

Mark

Your at Schiphol airport with sod all else to do! I understand that a little town called Amsterdam is not to far from Schiphol, I'm lead to belive that it has an intresting night life.

Now get yourself down to the Banana Bar NOW!!! Or you could just visit a coffe house?

Paul.

markc
08-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Your at Schiphol airport with sod all else to do! I understand that a little town called Amsterdam is not to far from Schiphol, I'm lead to belive that it has an intresting night life.

Now get yourself down to the Banana Bar NOW!!! Or you could just visit a coffe house?

Paul.

Ahha, yes a "friend" told me about both these local amenities ;)

If my boss, his boss and her boss, the latter two over from the US, suggest we go I'll be there in heartbeat. However, I suspect it'd be a "career limiting move" to take it upon myself to suggest these are the sites we should visit :(

I'm here until Friday though so there's hope yet :)

Cheers

Mark