PDA

View Full Version : The End of Honda in F1

FRM70
04-12-2008, 09:23 PM
It was sad to see the news this evening that Honda are going to sell or wind up their
F1 team , lets hope they can find a buyer for the team and save the 100's of talented
guys that work for them.

Senninha
04-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Yep, just seen this too ...

Honda is expected to make the bombshell announcement on Friday morning that it is pulling out of Formula 1.

Sources close to itv.com/f1 understand that the Brackley-based squad will be put up for sale with immediate effect and that if no buyer is found by March then the team will be closed.

While no official announcement on the future of Honda’s F1 programme has yet been made by the Japanese manufacturer squad and the team’s press officers were unavailable for comment, it is understood the squad's workforce was addressed by team principal Ross Brawn on Thursday evening to explain the situation.

Confirmation of its F1 exit plans is expected to be made by Honda on Friday morning in Japan.

Wouldn't be surprised if they also pull the supercar program as well

regards, Paul

Greybloke
04-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Didn't pick this up earlier, that's quite sad news:no:

Ewan
05-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Erk. I'm due to visit Brackley on Friday next week, but I guess the team I was going to see might have other priorities (like finding another job). I suppose if Honda's sales have fallen sharply enough that they're closing the factory in Swindon for 2 whole months, they're thinking that if it carries on and they had to start laying off production workers, it might not square with them pouring millions into an F1 team that hasn't delivered any results.

I wonder what will happen to Ross Brawn now?

Senninha
05-12-2008, 08:35 AM
http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4591130,00.html

Latest news this mornig plus its worth reading the comments at the bottom ...

Mods: can we combine the 2 F1 threads into 1 please?

BlueNSX
05-12-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4591130,00.html

Latest news this mornig plus its worth reading the comments at the bottom ...

Mods: can we combine the 2 F1 threads into 1 please?

Not surprised !!! The Japanese had expected bigger things, better results and quite rightly so with that budget.

We all had hoped for a "Honda" F1 win esp with Ross B. at the helm

Very Sad for F1 :no:

Link to other thread
http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=5698

I second Kevin's comment, Button headed for the dole cue, or maybe Sports Car Racing.

How will this effect NSX prices ?? With the unlikely hood of a New Honda Supercar, will this cause NSX prices to appreciate?? Or because of the lack of a Prancing Horse will they just maintain the status Quo and reach there natural trough??

DamianW
05-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Hello all!

Sad news this. Honda was one of my local teams, just down the road from me, so I always hoped they'd do well - was hoping for good things in 2009. I do wonder if the 2009 car wasn't shaping up that well and that inspired them to get out while they could...

NSXGB
05-12-2008, 11:16 AM
....Having a few sponsors names plastered over their cars might generate some cash....just a thought...:D

Senninha
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
I do wonder if the 2009 car wasn't shaping up that well and that inspired them to get out while they could...

I would guess that a lot of last years budget was poored into the new car. Like many I was hoping for a good showing with Ross' influence.

According to Nick Fry they have already had 3 serious enquiries to buy the team. If, and its a big IF, they have produced a good car then a well sponsored new team would make for an interesting entry for the 09 season.

However, from 2010 many of the teams will be using cosworth customer engines and all will use a standard gearbox and some chassis components. Its turning into a version of Indy racing IMO, which could be a good thing as the racing there regularly delivers mixed results as the 'standardised' cars bring results to the best drivers on the day.

Its no longer likely to be the high tech leading motorsport going forward and as Kevin suggests, a move into sports cars where Acura are doing very well in the LM series would appear to be abetter place for Honda to focus its efforts if the new supercar is to be launched.

I wonder whats going through Jenson's mind at the moment and Bruno who had delivered a very promising test session. That could of been a very interesting pairing with the smooth speed from Jenson alongside the raw speed of Bruno ... both of whom a very good wet weather drivers ... perhaps we'll never know?

NSXGB
05-12-2008, 12:36 PM
It's a shame for RB, he was just getting going. Do you think they had these worries earlier on in the season when they halted development in this years car and decided to allegedly put the development into next years car??

BlueNSX
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72325

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7766092.stm