PDA

View Full Version : NSX Prices

Mariscalcus
02-12-2008, 02:46 PM
A subject dear to everyone's heart whether selling or, in my case buying, and also one actively discussed before on the forum. So, how can a 2004 NSX with 35,000 miles be on sale for £31,000 on Pistonheads and a 2005 NSX with 33,000 miles be on sale at Avonvale Honda for £43,000? Which one is mad or am I missing something here?

If the former had been a targa (and assuming there is not some dark secret with the car) I would buy it in a heartbeat. Having just lost out on an excellent 3 litre example the 2001 targa on Pistonheads (as discussed in a separate thread) did not look unreasonably priced until this 2004 coupe turned up for £1,000 more and a substantially lower mileage. I am happy paying a fair price but how do I know what that is?

I appreciate that the market is volatile to say the least but is this not getting just a tad ridiculous?

David

simonprelude
02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
So, how can a 2004 NSX with 35,000 miles be on sale for £31,000 on Pistonheads and a 2005 NSX with 33,000 miles be on sale at Avonvale Honda for £43,000? Which one is mad or am I missing something here?

The 2004 is seriously underpriced, that's around trade in value I would say.

I appreciate that the market is volatile to say the least but is this not getting just a tad ridiculous?

At the end of the day, the car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
Buyers are not 2 a penny so if you 'need' to sell, that is going to be reflected in the price.

I would still hope to get in excess of £20k for mine and hopefully closer to £25k.
Unless circumstances seriously change then I hope never to be in a situation where I need to sell.

Lankstarr
02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
One is under priced and one is over priced.

Forget about looking for a targa and getthe cheap LBB - looks like a great deal to me. (ask him if you can have the plate as well!)

Saying all that I've always regretted not getting a targa... but in the 2.5 years I've had mine only 1 suitable 3.2 targa has come up.

How long do you want to play the waiting game... you could get this one whilst you wait for a Targa to come up if you've got cash spare to temporarily own two.

L*

Papalazarou
02-12-2008, 06:01 PM
I'd buy the cheaper one. Just do all the proper checks before you sign your life away.

It's worth being especially vigilant with the paint on the LBB cars as it's a three stage pearl and very hard to match. i.e; stonechips etc.

If the paint doesn't match anywhere or there's dust in the clearcoat then it's definately had paint at some time.

This isn't the end of the world but it's obviously worth knowing when you're buying. Additionally, red and longbeach blue cars have tinted clearcoat which means that if you use a light cutting compound, say autoglym resin polish, you will remove a bit of colour onto the cloth.

If I were looking at a car in either of those colours I'd ask the owner if I could test the paint on each wing by polishing a small area. They may however tell you to...........off!

Additionally, don't believe the wives tale about bumpers being a slightly different colour than the body because 'the paint dries differently' It should all match.

Finally, If you buy an LBB I'd definately get the nose paint protected.

Cheers,

James.

NoelWatson
02-12-2008, 06:52 PM
A subject dear to everyone's heart whether selling or, in my case buying, and also one actively discussed before on the forum. So, how can a 2004 NSX with 35,000 miles be on sale for £31,000 on Pistonheads and a 2005 NSX with 33,000 miles be on sale at Avonvale Honda for £43,000? Which one is mad or am I missing something here?

If the former had been a targa (and assuming there is not some dark secret with the car) I would buy it in a heartbeat. Having just lost out on an excellent 3 litre example the 2001 targa on Pistonheads (as discussed in a separate thread) did not look unreasonably priced until this 2004 coupe turned up for £1,000 more and a substantially lower mileage. I am happy paying a fair price but how do I know what that is?

David

I believe the LBB £31k is fairly priced and will sell, the 2005 car won't. People that expect the car market to pick up in the next three years, and are therefore putting their car up for sale at pre recession prices are deluded, IMO.

AR
02-12-2008, 06:57 PM
It looks like a good deal to me.

I would keep in mind:

Clutch

Tyres

Brakes

BTW Don't forget that in a years time you will need the BIG service, original TB was for 5 years and is still the same part number!

Senninha
02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Mariscalcus,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for an NSX.

If I've read your post correctly, the Silver Targa has sold in a little over 10 days. So how does this help you with your search?

As is often discussed, good well documented examples of the NSX will still change hands at good money, pretty much irrespective of the climate and current motor market. The potential problem as a buyer with clearly a sensible budget, is that the well kept cars do not often come onto the market. So this means two things. 1, you will need to be patient depending upon how 'specific' your requirements, ie color / spec and 2, you could choose to consider a less well documented but sound NSX, invest some tlc and develop it into one of the more desirable examples.

Of the 2 LBB on offer, one is about £3 to £4k under, the other over by a similar amount. The latter has been at said dealer for some months so potential for a deal. The cheaper one is, IMO, priced to sell as Simon suggested above.

All that said, the next couple of months may see 1 or 2 nice examples appear due to the current economic climate. If they do, and you see one you want, maybe owned by a club member, the lesson learned from the Silver one is to move swiftly to discover ownership of one of the best kept supercar secrets on the road today.

Happy Hunting

Regards, Paul

TheSebringOne
02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Welcome too & good luck in your search. Patients is vital if you are after a specific colour & model as Honda UK only sold bewteen 400-450 NSX in 15 years. I waited 7 to 8 months for the right one at the right price.

FHSH is a must with good to excellant service history and spend as much as you can on the right car & with the Credit Crunch, you may bag a good/great value car. Targa manuals are the rarest, also alot of people prefer the pop up lights version or pre 2002 models too. Once you do get your idea car at the right price, you will never regret it !! :)

jaytip
04-12-2008, 02:53 AM
It looks like a good deal to me.

BTW Don't forget that in a years time you will need the BIG service, original TB was for five years and is still the same part number!
But what's to say that Honda wern't being overly cautious on the earlier cars?
I can't see them just raising the time limit of the new shape(or at least 04>) to 8 years just for the hell of it.It must be safe.

AR
04-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I can't see them just raising the time limit of the new shape(or at least 04>) to 8 years just for the hell of it.It must be safe.

No it was to comply with the 1995 change in US legislation.

jaytip
04-12-2008, 12:43 PM
No it was to comply with the 1995 change in US legislation.
So how many US NSX's have there been with snapped timing belts between 5 and 8 years? I havn't heard or read of any on prime.

AR
04-12-2008, 04:13 PM
So how many US NSX's have there been with snapped timing belts between 5 and 8 years? I havn't heard or read of any on prime.

I know of one here that jumped a few teeth, so have some in the US.

Lankstarr
05-12-2008, 11:09 PM

I know the service schedule on the 3.2 is much longer than the 3.0 but not sure about cambelts. Mine was done after 5/6 years and I'm expecting to do another the year after next (I think!). Not paid much attention to what gets done when really... the garage tells me which one I need!

If it's the same part then there's not going to be less strain in the later engines!:rolleyes:

A cabbie told me that he did 90k miles in his ****roen tdi and the cambelt snapped. Think it was due at 100k.

Better to be safe than sorry, guidelines aren;t always right. Ask yourself... do you feel lucky, punk?

TheQuietOne
05-12-2008, 11:24 PM
I propose from now on we opperate a sealed bids system for selling NSXs. They will all be advertised at £30K and the best bid gets it. Seems about as sensible as some people's thoughts on car values recently...:(

Boomin33
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Such a catch-22 dilemma for me.

Selfishly, would love to see prices drop like a rock so that my wife could get that coveted 2nd NSX in the drive-way that she's been going on about for the past year.
unfortunately With the yen price... importing a Black pop-up targa -- drool... drool... :drool::drool: is out of the question for the next 5 years???...

but wait...I have a '03 that I would like to see keep the great re-sale value it seems to be maintaining and which appears will maintain for years to come....

DOH!

jaytip
06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I know the service schedule on the 3.2 is much longer than the 3.0 but not sure about cambelts.
If memory serves me correct it's 96 months,not sure if it's 50 or 60K though.

TheSebringOne
06-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Isn't it 72,000 miles? :)

NSXGB
07-12-2008, 08:58 AM
. . . No, 60000! Or 6 years. . . for the 3.0.

Lankstarr
07-12-2008, 09:02 AM
If memory serves me correct it's 96 months,not sure if it's 50 or 60K though.

Gives me ages until the next one then:)

Thanks

AR
07-12-2008, 09:23 AM
. . . No, 60000! Or 6 years. . . for the 3.0.

60,000 miles or 60 months = 5 years. :)

NSXGB
07-12-2008, 10:54 AM
60,000 miles or 60 months = 5 years. :)

Never seen it mentioned in months before, only years. I waited 6 years....that's what more than one dealer told me....

AR
07-12-2008, 12:49 PM
My UKDM K reg manual on page 119 states 60000 miles/100000 kilometers or 60 months.

I feel better changing it at 5 years, even on a 3.2.

TheSebringOne
07-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Honda stretched the service intervals from 3.0 to 3.2. Just had a look at the Euro Services Schedule, 3.2 are 96 months or 72K miles. But as lot of people will not take any chances with their exotic P&Js, then you should get it done sooner. :)

NoelWatson
31-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Mariscalcus,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for an NSX.

If I've read your post correctly, the Silver Targa has sold in a little over 10 days. So how does this help you with your search?

As is often discussed, good well documented examples of the NSX will still change hands at good money, pretty much irrespective of the climate and current motor market. The potential problem as a buyer with clearly a sensible budget, is that the well kept cars do not often come onto the market. So this means two things. 1, you will need to be patient depending upon how 'specific' your requirements, ie color / spec and 2, you could choose to consider a less well documented but sound NSX, invest some tlc and develop it into one of the more desirable examples.

Of the 2 LBB on offer, one is about £3 to £4k under, the other over by a similar amount. The latter has been at said dealer for some months so potential for a deal. The cheaper one is, IMO, priced to sell as Simon suggested above.

All that said, the next couple of months may see 1 or 2 nice examples appear due to the current economic climate. If they do, and you see one you want, maybe owned by a club member, the lesson learned from the Silver one is to move swiftly to discover ownership of one of the best kept supercar secrets on the road today.

Happy Hunting

Regards, Paul

Silver targa appears to be still up for sale

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/792768.htm

howellr
11-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Hello Folks,

I went to see it yesterday as it was still advertised as For Sale on their web-site but it was sold.
(I was out visiting my daughter - it's wasn't just a visit to see the NSX.)
I do wish these Garages were more on top of their web-site listings.

The car looked great (Good Colour) but I personally don't like the light tan leather.

So I gave mine a good cleaning today and now I'm knackered but it looks good.

Happy New Year everyone.
R

TheSebringOne
11-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I wander how much the new owner paid for it? Think it was on PH for about 40k last week? It might be priced high, but its one of the final 12 & 55 reg and as always its what the buyer willing to pay for it. The car was at Japfest 07 with much lower mileage, one owner less & was up for I think 48K.

Papalazarou
13-01-2009, 04:23 PM
My cars going up for sale next week, as soon as the oem wheels come back from refurb. Time to move in another direction and try something different. Perhaps a lousy time to sell, but I really want to do some track this year and have put it off for too long.

Anyway, will have some pic's up by the end of next week.

Cheers,

James.

NSX 2000
13-01-2009, 05:54 PM
My cars going up for sale next week, as soon as the oem wheels come back from refurb. Time to move in another direction and try something different. Perhaps a lousy time to sell, but I really want to do some track this year and have put it off for too long.

Anyway, will have some pic's up by the end of next week.

Cheers,

James.

Sorry to here this James. Obvious question, why don't you track the NSX?

Paul

NSXGB
13-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Don't fancy selling me the OEM wheels do you, yours looks really good with the gold wheels. Please. :)

TheSebringOne
13-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Sorry to hear that James! What direction you heading, apart from doing some tracking? :(

Senninha
13-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi James,

As Paul says you could track the NSX but I also understand why you might not want too.

Are you going for the early NSX that you can tweak for track?

The other option is to get yourself an MX5 and track that. Great car, well balanced and probably cheaper overall than trading out of the NSX IMO

On a positive note, looking at Pistonheads, the LBB is the color that sells!

regards, Paul

Papalazarou
14-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I've never figured out how to paste multiple quotes, so;

NSXGB you cannot have my OEM wheels; You know how completely retentive potential NSX owners are about originality...I knew you were kidding though;-)

Paul; I know you can track the NSX, but from my limited experience of the NSX on track, the brakes aren't up to it and it rolls. I know this can be remedied, but I see it as a spiral of spending that eventually ends up with a car that you wouldn't drive on the road unless you really had to.....Darren and Kevin!
Additionally, by my calculations, I'd need around 10K to get it properly track focussed and I just don't have the cash for that.

Finally, I'm currently looking at an Exige S (the supercharged one). I know it's plastic and has a Celica engine, but they're made for track work and don't wear bits out as quickly the NSX invariably would. I aim to do 6-8 track days this year and the Lotus seems to fit the bill. I know I'll miss not having the Honda, but very little NSX related happens where I am and the last time I travelled to Basingstoke everyone went home a noon....bitch bitch;-)

Anyway, it might all be irrellevant as the market is pretty static at the moment. There's no great hardship hanging onto it if it doesn't sell either> the odds are I'll still have it well into the summer and will be able to make JF.

Cheers,

James.

NSXGB
14-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Can't blame a man for trying....:cry:

Didn't think too much work was required for tracking the NSX?
'R' bars & fr ARB, new pads & fluid & removal of brake splash guards I thought from the general views on the forums was a good enough compromise. That's about £600.

Depends how 'competitive' you want to be on a track day?

It is a slippery slope when you start modding though....very unhealthy for your bank account and addictive.

Papalazarou
14-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Can't blame a man for trying....:cry:

Didn't think too much work was required for tracking the NSX?
'R' bars & fr ARB, new pads & fluid & removal of brake splash guards I thought from the general views on the forums was a good enough compromise. That's about £600.

Depends how 'competitive' you want to be on a track day?

It is a slippery slope when you start modding though....very unhealthy for your bank account and addictive.

Like I said 'not an expert' but from what I've read on Prime and from the track I've done, the standard brakes are never going to be that great on track. At JF last year mine were fading noticeably by the third lap.

It would be interesting to hear what people thought was the minumum outlay for a decent track weapon.

I was thinking; Only estimates mind, so open to suggestions on this.

1. Brakes (2K+)
2. Suspension (1-3K)
3. Seats (£1.5K)
4. Wheels/track tyres (1.5-2K)
5. reinforcement bars (£400)

6.Poss; Gearbox mods. (3-5K)
7. I imagine that the bushings are going to wear pretty quick, anyone have any info on this?

OK, so when you add it all up, perhaps £10K was a little excessive, but maybe not far off.

NSXGB
14-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Like I said though, it depends how 'competitive' you want to be on track.
With what you have listed, yes you would have a sorted track monster but not so friendly on the road as you pointed out earlier.

You've had a go at JF and have only commented on the brakes. Apparently you can reduce the track temps of the brake discs by 150°C by removing the splash guards. Couple this with bigger air deflectors (993 Porker ones maybe), fluid change and pads and it should be a huge improvement for a couple of hundred quid.

The problem comes I suppose when you've had a few goes with this setup and want more....

Just some thoughts, just from what I've read...

Like I said 'not an expert' but from what I've read on Prime and from the track I've done, the standard brakes are never going to be that great on track. At JF last year mine were fading noticeably by the third lap.

It would be interesting to hear what people thought was the minumum outlay for a decent track weapon.

I was thinking; Only estimates mind, so open to suggestions on this.

1. Brakes (2K+)
2. Suspension (1-3K)
3. Seats (£1.5K)
4. Wheels/track tyres (1.5-2K)
5. reinforcement bars (£400)

6.Poss; Gearbox mods. (3-5K)
7. I imagine that the bushings are going to wear pretty quick, anyone have any info on this?

OK, so when you add it all up, perhaps £10K was a little excessive, but maybe not far off.

Papalazarou
14-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I think that would certainly make a difference. But as you said, as you get faster, things need upgrading. I guess that's why I'm looking at something that's basically done already. Ideally I'd hang onto the NSX and have one of those plastic cars just for track.

Perhaps another way to look at it would be to spend the depreciation the Exige would suffer on mods for the NSX!

Cheers,

James.

TheSebringOne
14-01-2009, 08:28 PM
What about the idea of selling yours and maybe buying kevin's as its track ready? Thats if he decides to sell that is?

Senninha
14-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi James,

I think we may have had this discussion before, probably at JF08.

So that you know, I have R discs £600, Project MU pads £180, larger deflectors (Dali) £40 plus fluid and braided hoses.

On track last year, after I'd got a few sighting laps done, I was able to push harder and harder to the point I could feel the car moving on its tyres as they were starting to overheat. I was also pushing the braking later and later and suffered no fade at all.

Now then, to give this some balance. C/Coombe has nice open spaces, with good straights between braking points so plenty of time for things to cool. Its actually on the road that I have experienced fade but even then this is only after 30-40 mins of hard b road motoring.

I've not had chance to sit alongside you or even watch you on track so have no idea of your skill levels (and I'm not suggesting I'm any better). BUT, do take time to review Ayrtons laps in the NSX, particular the OEM 3.0 version. That car has no mods, no this, no that. But what it does have is a highly skilled driver.

So where am I going with this ... as previously discussed .... invest not in the car but in yourself. I would bet my own hard earned that if you took your car and did ten timed laps, then after investing just 10% of your 'track' budget in yourself, you would find that returning to the track in your same car, you have just reduced your consistent lap times by more margin than your £10k budget will ever achieve.

This is not me having a pop at your ability, in fact if I was pointing at you I'd be pointing at myself 3 times over. Invest in you and anything you choose to own/drive will be more rewarding.

BTW, if you do want better braking than I have within the confines of OEM rims, then the Detlef AP option is a match for a GT3 at the ring!!

regards, Paul :)

PS ... I'm a big fan of the Lotus as you know having owned a 135Elise. 2 things if you go this route, get one with a/c coz its an oven inside even in winter and book yourself onto a Hethel driving course and I'll come with you. I did the basic Elise day back in 2001 and even at the end of day couldn't believe how much more the car could do beyond my skill level ....

Silver Surfer
15-01-2009, 12:03 AM
As TSO had mentioned...
Sell yours.....get Kevins' ...use the savings for track tuition!

Best of all worlds and still in the fold!

SS

Papalazarou
16-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys,

I have considered Kevins car as I know it's a solid UK car and has some useful bits on it. The thing that puts me off a dedicated track NSX is that it becomes a serious compromise for the road. The Exige I drove the other day was actually pretty comfortable on the road, comparable with the car I have.
With regard to driver training, I aim to get some at Castle Coombe this year. I've had a certain amount already, but not in my own car.
I know that added competence can help the driver be easier on the car and get more performance from it. I learnt that lesson on bikes.
Paul, you make a good point with the brakes; the mods you've done may well be adequate for regular track and would be worth looking into.

Cheers,

James.

markc
16-01-2009, 04:05 PM
James,

The Exige is undoubtedly a better start point for a track day car BUT even it isn't completely ready out of the box. Depending how many TD's you intend to do and more importantly how hard you end up pushing, you'll be in need of better brakes and tyres and it'll wear out suspension components (bushes etc) almost as quickly as the NSX.

I think my point is you should budget for upgrades to an Exige as well.

W.R.T using the NSX on trackdays. IMO, and with some experience behind me, the brakes are just not up to it. The disk size is the fundamental problem and no amount of differant types of cross drilled/slotted/R versions, braided hoses, exotic pad materials or fresh blue/red fluids are going to make up for this. Having said that, you only have to hold back 5%-10% or so in the braking areas and even at big fast circuits like Silverstone GP and Bedford, fade and judder stay at acceptable levels and you can stay out on track until you need a rest more than the car ;)

For me tyres are the single biggest thing you can change to help your enjoyment on track days. You can drive around marginal brake performance once you know their limits but tyres that go off after a couple of laps are a P.I.T.A

I will continue to TD my NSX as it is and enjoy learning it's characteristics in extremis but will not persue any mods. Well maybe a Racing braking disk upgrade and trackday (Toyo R888 or similar) tyres for their consistancy rather than outright performance.

If my Westfield ever hits the road/track (don't hold your breath) I'll run rings around your pesky Exige :)

Cheers

Mark

Kevin
18-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys,

I have considered Kevins car as I know it's a solid UK car and has some useful bits on it. The thing that puts me off a dedicated track NSX is that it becomes a serious compromise for the road. worth looking into.

I read all this some interest and laughs. Who says my car is a serious compromise on the road?

If my Westfield ever hits the road/track (don't hold your breath) I'll run rings around your pesky Exige :)

I run rings around Exiges too.