PDA

View Full Version : Traction control didn't save me

NoelWatson
30-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Before I start, I must say that I was only going at 5mph, it is a corner on the road to my gym that is very polished and allows me to test the traction control. I have said before in the past that the traction control (which is more aggressive than earlier cars) has been very effective, but it is not infallible. The combination of a wet and cold road surface meant that I span 90 degrees before coming to a halt. This got me thinking - we complain about modern cars with their nannying electronics and bloated kerb weight, but if the NSX were designed today, think what they could improve:

Switchable ESP: Can't think of a drawback - very effective as I discovered when at MB world in Brooklands
Direct injection: Extra 10% power economy - improved emissions
Higher compression ratio: I assume this is computing power that has allowed modern cars to have compression ration of 12:1 rather than the Honda's 10.2:1.
CAD design: Reckon the bodyshell could be lighter/stiffer due to improved modelling
Tyres/suspension: Mentioned in ECOTY (2003?) when testing the Type R. Tyres have improved a long way in the last decade and the suspension could enhanced to deal with this
EPS: I understand the current generation allows more steering feel
Materials: Would aluminium still be the preferred material? What about plastic or carbon fibre for some body panels?

I guess with the current marketing types at Honda rather than Engineers, we will never know....

forumadmin
30-11-2008, 07:50 AM
If the NSX were designed today;

Safety: It would have to meet newer safety laws. Probably meaning more weight, a big rounded front end, higher doors, more airbags.

More predictable handling from the rear end at the limits. Less need for large toe angles to keep the rear in check.

Flappy paddles, just becuase every other car has one.

Heated seats, satnavs, big stereo, a blue tooth and all the other in car mod cons one needs these days.

Diesel?

Active exhaust noises.

Dashboard designed by Playstion 2 designers.

Will it all make it a better car? Technically on paper maybe. Will it make it a more fun car to drive? Who knows?

mutley
30-11-2008, 04:59 PM
If the NSX were designed today;

Safety: It would have to meet newer safety laws. Probably meaning more weight, a big rounded front end, higher doors, more airbags.

More predictable handling from the rear end at the limits. Less need for large toe angles to keep the rear in check.

Flappy paddles, just becuase every other car has one.

Heated seats, satnavs, big stereo, a blue tooth and all the other in car mod cons one needs these days.

Diesel?

Active exhaust noises.

Dashboard designed by Playstion 2 designers.

Will it all make it a better car? Technically on paper maybe. Will it make it a more fun car to drive? Who knows?

.....................you forgot probably limited to 155 mph

AR
30-11-2008, 05:08 PM
.....................you forgot probably limited to 155 mph

Will probably come with 20" wheels, and run flat tyres!

NoelWatson
30-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Will probably come with 20" wheels, and run flat tyres!

Maybe not run flats, but would a modern NSX still come with space saver wheel?

britlude
30-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Maybe not run flats, but would a modern NSX still come with space saver wheel?

probably not, after all the new mini doesn't have one....

TheSebringOne
30-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Was'nt CAD around then?

As for materials for the body, chassis & suspension parts, its only now that manufacturers are using more alu, but not the way the NSX used it in all 3 parts, can't believe the idea was conceived in 1989!! Even Ferrari used it for first time in the 360 & its entire range ended with 612. Suppose you can save some more weight with GRP, CF & even plastic, look at the Type R! Beamer Ms with plastic wings, boot etc!

Personally all the others would modernised the NSX if it was being introduce, but whats pararmount is keeping weight to a minimum! Also there is no longer the Japanese car makers gentleman agreement at keeping to the 276bhp limit. Just my 2p :)

NoelWatson
01-12-2008, 05:48 AM
Was'nt CAD around then?

It may well have been, but computing power has moved on a massive amount (and likewise software).

278kmh
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
back to the title: Traction control didn't save me

i have this problems at the first time since i have mounted dunlop sp9000 in oem 205-50-15+225-50-15.
really every tire before, mostly bridgstone, works perfekt with the traction control, out of any corner at any speed pedal to the metal, the car goes out maybe 5 or 10 degrees not more. now with the dunlop it drives like it has no traction control :eek:in the most times. real sch...:no: