View Full Version : Stereo Install Questions....

NSXGB
26-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Been looking at installing an aftermarket audio system in the NSX and I have a few questions...
Bear with me as I know practically noting about car audio.

I saw the one on Prime with the Pioneer F700BT and thought that something along those lines would do me fine.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112690
I don't want to change any of the speakers or amps.

I have the centre console on order with blanked off ashtray etc.

First question is; if I bought the ipp-758 harness from SOS, would there be any differences in the UK & US wiring that would trip me up?
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/ProFormance_Audiophile/stereo_wire_harness/

Next, it looks like it's been made for the job and possibly makes the install a bit easier but do I really need to buy the SOS double DIN cage. Would anyone who's installed a double DIN radio like to comment on whether a generic cage be just as good?
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interior%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/stereo%5Fbracket%5Fkit/
I'm all for buying both the above items from SOS but for not a lot of goods, they work out at £80 (+any duties) delivered to my door which may not be necessary.

Lastly, I have been looking round for similar AVIC headunits for a different option but am not sure what the compatibility requirement is with the factory amps? I remember reading somewhere that the impedance of the speakers is 1 OHM which is not the norm in car audio so I don't want to waste money and possibly do any damage....

Any comments or suggestions welcome....as long as they are not rude...:)

Senninha
26-11-2008, 09:12 PM
That Pioneer install by SOS looks superb. I did ask once before about RHD consoles but Chris said there was not enough demand. Have they changed their mind or are you sourcing a console from somewhere else?

Mine just had a whole in the console whe I bought it, but it did have amps/spkrs installed so was a simple single DIN install.

It may pay to talk to someone like Cambridge audio 01223 368 989, who did all the original ICE upgrades to my car and supplied my Alpine head unit. Very knowledgeable and helpful and should be able to advise if this Pioneer would work with remaining OEM equipment.

Will keep an eye on your progress

regards, Paul

NSXGB
26-11-2008, 09:23 PM
RHD console is coming from elsewhere....

Senninha
26-11-2008, 10:22 PM
RHD console is coming from elsewhere....

I've done a search but can't find them listed as an NSX supplier :rolleyes:

markc
27-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm feeling a bit controversial today so, flame suit on....

Has anyone found a more tasteful double din unit ie one without a silly full screen of graphics etc, that would suit the NSX better than the sort pictured above? It's not sensible, IHMO, to place the sat nav screen down this low so there's not really a compelling reason for a full screen. I'm not fan of the factory Nav pod option either.

It'd be good to ditch the cassette (how quiant) and add multi CD, Bluetooth, iPod, MP3, maybe spoken nav, etc without having to look like a Kev'd up (sorry Kevin) Nova/Saxo or worse a Skyline/GTR video console. Perhaps something like this but with orange lighting.

Cheers

Mark - grumpy old technophobe :)

Sudesh
27-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Mark I tend to agree in a way! There are loads of different units available with all kinds of setups really depends on what you want. I have a 7" screen but have switched off all the background graphics etc so it just looks more plain and simple to use and only displays the radio channels with no other fancy stuff moving round the screen, and there is only a few slime line buttons down the side.
I didnt add nav as for me replacing the head unit was really only about giving the car a bit of a facelift inside, but on most of the head units today you can add what you like. Mines also takes SD cards, MP3, USB devises, multi changer, and so on. You can also change the colors on some of the head units.

Also if someone preferred the nav to sit higher then the aircon controls could be moved down and the screen moved up! Would take some custom work but could be done no problem.

Lankstarr
27-11-2008, 12:55 PM
I watch all of the stereo threads with interest but still haven't done anything to mine. I have all of the amps and speakers except a suitable sub for the NSX.

When Paul took my car away to do the engine bay he played with the stereo settings... I've always been a firm believer in leaving bass and treble settings to 0, 0 for stereos but listening to it after he had cranked the bass up gave me a nice surprise.

The OEM stereo soudns quite good if all of the speakers are working and, like you lot, if I were to perform the stereo mod a big part of it would be to update the interior... that said if I went to all that effort it would have to sounds awesome at the end of it to justify moving from the current set up! I need a good footwell sub for that so time to build a box.

I'm intrigued with your set up Sudesh... what are these "Slime Line" buttons? Most of the mods you have done are very tasteful but this sounds awful!

L*

Sudesh
27-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm intrigued with your set up Sudesh... what are these "Slime Line" buttons? Most of the mods you have done are very tasteful but this sounds awful!

L*

lol!! Its just the buttons on the head unit! What I was trying to say was, they are alot neater and more slimline than some other units that have big twisty shiny bling buttons/knobs.

markc
27-11-2008, 02:11 PM
When Paul took my car away to do the engine bay he played with the stereo settings... I've always been a firm believer in leaving bass and treble settings to 0, 0 for stereos but listening to it after he had cranked the bass up gave me a nice surprise.
L*

Interesting, my standard system needs the treble turned almost right up to sound "balenced". All door speakers and both subs seem to work well in my car and I think it sounds pretty damn good with a CD or iPod (connected via a Blitzsafe adapter) source.

I picked up a Revo DAB unit (£20 brand new in Halfords) and might add a steath install of that to compliment the 70's cassette tech ;)

Cheers

Mark

TheSebringOne
27-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Mark, I'm not grumpy at the mo! :D But I too like things a bit old fashion and the OEM set is just fine for moi. Anyway I only have ears for the 3.2 VTEC at 8200 & rarely have the CD on! I know the system is getting on a bit, but thats the characteristic of the car & the engine is thing that creates real music! :)

Senninha
28-11-2008, 08:17 AM

L*

Hi Luke,

Must have been by accident when cleaning around the console with the garden broom :D ... I had a CD for the drive home but nowhere to play it so just enjoyed the exhaust instead.

So pleased to know I've further enhanced your motoring pleasure!

regards, Paul

Sudesh
28-11-2008, 01:22 PM
First question is; if I bought the ipp-758 harness from SOS, would there be any differences in the UK & US wiring that would trip me up?
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/ProFormance_Audiophile/stereo_wire_harness/

Next, it looks like it's been made for the job and possibly makes the install a bit easier but do I really need to buy the SOS double DIN cage. Would anyone who's installed a double DIN radio like to comment on whether a generic cage be just as good?
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interior%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/stereo%5Fbracket%5Fkit/
I'm all for buying both the above items from SOS but for not a lot of goods, they work out at £80 (+any duties) delivered to my door which may not be necessary.

I puchased an ISO harness from ebay for £3.00 which fitted the NSX perfect. Check here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC2-09-4-Honda-CR-V-CVX-CRXI-Insight-NSX-ISO-Lead_W0QQitemZ150312284218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rs_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item15 0312284218&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Buying this harness made wiring up quite simple and also by using the ISO harness it means you dont need to cut any of the OEM wiring.

Depending on the head unit you choose and cable supplied with it, you will either be able to plug directly into the new head unit or, you may have to splice the ISO harness and join up to it.

I also made up my own head unit bracket by buying what guys in the audio install business call "Bracket bar"
Its basically long strips of I think Aluminium, that has holes all the way up the length which gives you many options for mounting. I was able to bend and shape the bracket bar to fit the head unit and secure it so it's not ratteling or moving in the console.

I'm not sure if you can retain the original speakers and amp when changing the sound system? From what I picked up when doing my install, the OEM headunit is not amplified so the sound depends on the amp's on each speaker and the sub in the floor.

As most new headunits have a bult in amp, I dont know how it would work with the OEM system as you would basically be sending out an amplified signal on top of the all ready amplified speakers and bass. [hope that makes sense]

NSXGB
28-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure if you can retain the original speakers and amp when changing the sound system?
As most new headunits have a bult in amp, I dont know how it would work with the OEM system as you would basically be sending out an amplified signal on top of the all ready amplified speakers and bass. [hope that makes sense]
Thanks for that link Sudesh, that could save me a few quid.
I know you can utilise the oem speakers and amps as they have in the Prime link I posted. This is the area I can't seem to find the definative info on. It looks to me that if I bought the SOS harness it would be straight forward plug and play with the Pioneer head unit, which is expensive but could save a head ache. I'll compare it to the ebay one you bought.

NSXGB
05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Good shout on that lead Sudesh. Easy to modify the eBay one to do the same job as the one on the SOS site just by looking at the picture. All colour codes are the same.

Sudesh
05-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah! Found it real handy myself and good value. I done the same, purchased the ebay one then modified it saved any messing around with the OEM harness.

Lankstarr
05-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Luke,

Must have been by accident when cleaning around the console with the garden broom :D ... I had a CD for the drive home but nowhere to play it so just enjoyed the exhaust instead.

So pleased to know I've further enhanced your motoring pleasure!

regards, Paul

You've done more than that mate - now I've ghot my cover on I get to appreciate my lovely black enigine bay every time I walk to and away from the car:D:D

Thanks again for that!

Luke