PDA

View Full Version : window regulator question

SILVER BULLET
23-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi All,
I would like to order a window regulator for my drivers (offside door) and fixit kit from dali today to take advantage of the group buy,however I don't know whether the drivers door on the dali site is for USA or UK vehicle,can anyone advise please,
Cheers,
Ian

kowalski
23-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I bought 2 Regulators last year from the states, unfortunately they do not fit RH drive cars, only LH. This is due to the electrical connectors for the switches, 2 on the drivers door, 1 on passenger. The wiring is bonded into the plastic going into the motor and cant be changed out.

I had to get new ones from Honda UK in the end.

You could have had my 2 US ones if you wanted to try modifying but ive just sold them back to a LH drive NSX owner.

leigh

SILVER BULLET
23-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank's Leigh, that would have been an expensive waste of time,was just filling in order form when your message came through,:D
Cheers,
Ian

amo
23-11-2008, 10:51 PM
cant you just rewire it take it to a auto elec

thx amo

kowalski
24-11-2008, 10:37 AM
No problem Ian, glad to be of help.

Looked at that as well Amo, the wires are bonded into the motor, and the motor bonded inside a plastic housing that would need to be cut open. It would need a bit of work to do with no guarantee that the motors would be able to be swapped over. I took them to Honda and my brother who is an auto electrician and they both reckoned it wasnt viable.

If it is the last resort and you only have a left hand drive set for free then it could be done but would be a bit of a bodge job and might not last. Not worth trying if your still paying over £200 each for new ones to cut up.

Prefered not to muck around in the end and got the proper ones from Honda Uk, maybe it would be cheaper to get them from Japan? ie through Bazza.

leigh

nigel
26-11-2008, 03:49 PM
There are several threads on Prime that deal with inoperable regulators and if you do a search you can find someone who completely overhauls them for about $80 U.S. as I remember. Thats a great deal less than the new price even with the pound going to rubbish.
Everyones replies to the thread raved about the quality of the overhaul and the low cost as well as the fast turn around time.
I don't remember where it was at Prime but i'm sure if you search you'll find the name of the folks they were talking about.
I'll ask my mate who's a wizz at searches to have a go if you'd like.
I realize it would be a pain with shiping out, waiting, and then shiping return but as winters here maybe the wait wouldn't be so painful as the new replacement cost. Maybe you could send several at a time to split the freight cost. Seems like the new regulstors were something like $530.00 U.S. each. That's over 300 quid today.
Seems there should be someone in the U.K. who could do the same overhaul without going to all the trouble of sending them to the states but the overhaul cost is WELL worth the hastle.
No mater what you do GET THE WINDOW FIXIT THINGIES from SOS or Dali to stop them from breaking in the future.

Cheers
nigel