PDA

View Full Version : non-US Service Manual

sparky
23-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Hello from South Australia... I have an early RHD NSX which includes the OEM driving / fog lights in the lower front bumper. I have noticed that US NSX's don't seem to have these additional driving lights, and so the USA Acura Service Manual (from NSX prime) doesn't include these lights in the wiring diagrams or descriptions.

Is there a UK, JDM or other no-US service manual available anywhere that includes info on these drivings lights and the switches etc ?

(Do UK NSX's have these lights?)

thanks

sparky

Silver Surfer
23-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Yes they do...check out the NSX garage on here.

I am sure one of the guys here will be able to post up the wiring diagram on here.......Sudesh?

...and Welcome to the forum.

SS

sparky
24-11-2008, 08:17 AM
bump - do we have a non-US service manual anywhere?

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi, sparky.

Would you mind providing us with the objective of your project such as 'I have a problem on...', 'I want to replace ....', 'I want to know the spec of...', 'I want to place an order for ...' and etc?
In this way, we can provide you with specific information.

For your reference, there are more than 20 parts involved just for the Fog lights.

Regards,
Kaz

Sudesh
24-11-2008, 09:20 PM
As Kaz mentioned more info would be good. Thanks SS for the mention!

I dont have a a diagram as such as I worked on and removed the fogs on my car without a manual.

But as Kaz mentioned not really sure what Sparky is looking to do?

The only info in the US manual related to the Fogs is under "Daytime Running Lights" (Canada)

sparky
25-11-2008, 09:41 AM
OK here's the go ... I have a spare centre console, including spare switch behind handbrake that turns fog / driving lights on, including the male plug & wiring cut from a loom to fit the switch (fear not, it was not cut from a good NSX! :rolleyes:)

The lights & switch in the car are working fine. To control another function I want to fit the spare switch into one of the three other switch positions that are blanked out behind the hand brake (some cars have an ashtray here instead of places for 4 switches).

I need the non-US service manual to see the wiring details for that plug / switch, that controls the fog lights. It has 6 wires (R, R/BK, Y/W, R/BL, BK, R/Y). There are two bulbs in the switch, one on when interior lights are on, the other when button is depressed / activated. Plus of course, its a toggle switch.

I've nearly figured wiring out with a multi-meter and 12V battery testing the lamps, but not quite :(. (It's also possible the spare switch is faulty, since it came from a wreck that had the interior exposed to weather for a while).

nigel
25-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Get with "kzukNA1", He's the man!!
Fog lamps were an option over here if you so chose to install them but the switch for their power is completely different than in the UK.
Acura doesn't offer the console switch panel unless you get it from SOS or Dali or ...
Kaz helped me with wiring the console switch panel I got from Sudesh.
I was able to find connectors from the scrap yard made for those switches from the l/s instrument panel of an Accord.
If you search around enough at the scrap yard you can also find the correct colour wires as well.
I was wiring my half staff aeriel switch.

Cheers
nigel

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi, Sparky. Thank you for the information and Nigel, thank you for the kind comment.

If I understood your email correctly, then
1. You have early RHD NSX with OEM fog light units in the front bumper and the fog light switch (sw) in one of the four slots behind the hand brake on the centre console.

2. You mentioned that your fog lights are working fine. This means that the ‘fog light sw’, ‘fog light units’, ‘fog light relay’, ‘illumination control unit’, ‘tail light relay’, ‘main light sw’ and the associated looms are fine.

3. Addition to this, you have the spare centre console, the spare fog light sw and the spare mating connector for the fog light sw.

4. You want to control a certain system using this spare fog light sw and the spare mating connector addition to the existing fog light system.

5. I presume you want to keep the entire fog light system without any modifications and thus, your certain system will be separated from this.

Based on these conditions, I believe you only need the internal circuit diagram of the fog light sw with the pin out.
Please refer to the following file.

As I don’t know what kind of system you are trying to control with this sw, I placed the original colour code of each wires as a reference and I believe you will design your certain system with current rating of the sw in mind. The 2 light bulbs used on the sw are 0.84W each.

Several members on this Forum made many electrical modifications including their own parts (like other posts by Sudesh) so if you want to share your plan, we may be able to help you further.

Good luck with the modification.

Regards,
Kaz

sparky
26-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Kaz,
Perfect, you interpretted my message 100%, thanks.

Interesting circuit for the switch. Curious there's a diode ? Anyway I now I understand why I couldn't decipher using multimeter!

I suspect Australian delivered cars (like mine) had fog lights wired same as JDM NSX's. But a Japanese service manual would probably be indeciperable :)

I'm going to use the switch to control whether or not the fuel pump resistor bypass relay is active. I have Top Speed headers and GTLW muffler, and suffer from a (very) slight hesitation around 2,500 rpm. A fellow NSXer down here says forcing this relay active to increase fuel pressure at lower revs may fix the problem, but I suspect this will have side effect of reduced fuel consumption.

So the switch will allow me to quickly choose between bypassing the resistor or not at low revs, depending on whether I'm cruising or pushing. Not sure it's going to work ... so I'm going to experiment first.

Kaz-kzukNA1
26-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi, Sparky. Glad to know that the diagram helped you.

Just a follow up.
Considering the objective of this particular post, for me, it would be better not to go too much in detail on the hesitation. Also, I don’t know the detail of the state and the spec of your car so please just take following points as a background noise from an old man.

1. Fuel pump resistor bypass relay
As far as I know, there is no such relay on this car.
I think you are talking about the 'fuel pump relay' which will be used for the high rpm. If this is the case then please be careful with the circuit design as the lower coil side of this relay is connected to the ECU and I don't know the interface circuit on the ECU side.

2. O2 sensor
I don't know when you first started to notice the hesitation but I helped some of my friends who experienced similar phenomenon.
Most of them felt it just after or some point after they replaced the header/exhaust. When the O2 sensors were removed during the header/exhaust installation, they could get contaminated by oil and moisture. At some point, some of them got Check Engine Lamp (CEL) and some didn’t get it.
For all of the cases, we first reset the ECU and disabled the feedback control from O2 sensors by disconnecting them at the connector (for earlier model, there are 2 and for later model, there are 4). Then, they just drove for a while to confirm whether the hesitation was caused by the O2 sensor or not. Ovbiouly, there are lots of other factors such as IGN coil, spark plugs and etc so the cause of hesitaion could be completely in a different area.
I just wanted to provide you with some experience as it’s easy to test above condition. You just need to remove the 'clock' fuse at the front for a short period and then disconnect the O2 sensor connectors inside the engine bay.

Regards,
Kaz

sparky
27-11-2008, 08:11 AM
1. Yes it's "Fuel Pump Relay" the one that bypasses the "Fuel Pump Resistor" at high revs, thus inceasing voltage to fuel pump for high revs. It's the one in top RH corner of page 11-8 in Acura Service Manual (from NSX prime)

2. O2 sensors indeed. I had this problem too, including CEL lights. But that was a much more serious hesitation. Replaced the faulty sensor and car improved dramatically.

PS: "old" is a very relative term. For all we know, I may be older !