PDA

View Full Version : THE BIG AP RACING BRAKE KIT COMMETH...

david_f
13-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Everyone. After many frustrating months searching for a wheel maker, it now looks as if I've found someone who can solve the problem of 'off-set' and the NSX! For those of you following my posts, I have now developed the big brake kit with AP Racing (330 mm discs front and rear, 6 pot front, 4 pot rear with integral handbrake mech.). This is the only kit available anywhere in the world that has been developed for the NSX and has the handbrake mechanism in place (therefore street legal). The missing link has been Graham Horgan at Plans Motorsport (www.plansmotorsport.com). Graham's contacts have made the difference in getting the last few problems resolved. Anyone who's thinking about track days (you’ll kill the standard discs) or entering the mid-engine race series (watch this space) should contact Graham at Plans Motorsport on 01483 548999. Once everything's fitted, I'll post pictures, etc. Cheers, David.

modarr
13-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Hi David,

What size wheels (standard 16" 17"?) will the kit fit under?

Sounds very interesting as does the mention of racing.

Keep us posted.

Mo

david_f
14-06-2005, 11:57 AM
You'll need at least 17" front and rear because of the 6 pot calipers at the front. I'm going for 17" front and 18" rear (mine was 16" front, 17" rear as standard). Once all's fitted and tested, I'll post pictures. I hope to have everything completed within the next 6-8 weeks. Just wanted to let everyone know just in case anyone started on a project and wasted time or money! Cheers, David.

modarr
14-06-2005, 07:28 PM
What about the offsets on the new wheels, have you gone for a compromise there?

Are you going on Sat 2nd? I intend to be there so it could be real NSX fest with the two of us there!

david_f
15-06-2005, 05:22 PM
The issue of the wheels and 'off-set' has been the biggest problem (i.e. finding wheels or a wheel maker willing to play ball). I think I'm about there and as I say, I'll post news over the next 6-8 weeks. July 2nd would cost me £560 for the boy, and me so no, I'm afraid I won't be at Bedford. However, checkout July 15th at Bedford with www.autocar.co.uk/trackdays. I've already booked! Cheers, David.

kane
27-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Hello I am in the USA but very interested in a front and rear AP application for the nsx any updates?

david_f
27-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Ravi, thanks for the post. The good news is that the brake kit has now been made and is awaiting final developments on my car. The outstanding problem is the wheels! I hope to 'crack' this issue soon and will post as soon as it’s done (with pictures). Regards, David.

kane
27-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Hello, i am glad to know the kit is in production. I think it will fit my car as I have a sorcery widebody kit. I am running volk racing le-37's. 18x8.5 front 22 offset and 19x10.5 rear 12 offset. Let me know when the kit is ready my email:
kane@nsxpro.com

Thanks!

david_f
27-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Will do!

swlabhot
01-09-2005, 07:21 PM
So whats the deal with this now? Any further developments?

After getting my ITR back and driving it for a while (it has a Spoon + Projecu Mu setup), then jumping back to my NSX, it feels like mash potato!! :o I have no confidence in doing any hard braking on the stock NSX setup anymore. To my surprise I didn't expect the difference in braking performace to be black n white when comparing my Teg and the NSX, seeing as before I got my Teg back I was driving my NSX all the time and it seems to be OK, but now its like the brakes don't even exist! :shock: So I think the stock setup has to go. It'll be nice to have the AP setup on there so keep us up to speed on this.

UltraViolet
02-09-2005, 08:51 AM
I assume it wasn't possible for them to make a kit that would be an upgrade for those of us with (and want to keep) the OEM 16/17" wheels?

02-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Wheels:
I have been looking for 17” on the front and 18” on the rear for a while now. I have a big brake kit to install, but finding wheels stopped me. That and money. You know…
I looked at Compomotive's new 6 spoke wheels as a replacement to the Technomagnesios 6 spokes that aren't made anymore. Almost any offset is available. But they only made 18”. I now hear they have a 6 spoke 17” too, to match the 18" 6 spoke. But it’s 8” wide, so you will need to get it cut down to 7”, There is a guy in Germany that can do it for €150 each (probably someone in the UK too... and Vaugh in Califonia can do it too $100 each).
The Compomotive price is good, but I think the wheels are a bit heavy. 12.5 kg? Is that heavy? Don’t know yet.
And be careful, they make 3 versions of the 6 spoke, each with the spokes deeper that the other (the info on web site is hopeless). Make sure they match, front to back. The 3 types are: 8” have the spokes almost flush. The 9” spokes are a little deeper, the 10” are really deep. I think I will get the 9” for the front and cut them down to 7”, then they will match the 9” rears regarding looks and "spoke deepness". I am currently trying to find time to draw my calipers so to determine the "deepness" of the spokes so the brake calipers will fit. Offset was not a problem, they have lots. Bolt pattern is OK too.
DON'T mention to Compomotive that you will cut them down, though, they will freak. And it may ruin it for me...but since I now spend all my money on petrol largely thanks to the Americans' failed foreign "adventure" it will be a while before I order wheels. By the way I concur with you others about the brakes, one trip to race in the mountains or the Ring fries the brakes. Second pair of (stock) discs warped, I even had the pads smoking! Cute, poor little brakes… I beat the Lotus Elise though!
By the way, the quick steering racks should be ready in November. I will set up a rebuild service here to do the racks on an exchange basis. I haven’t ordered any Quaife diffs yet.
Peter

david_f
03-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the Post Peter! I may have some good news to report on the wheels front... I’m not going to mention anything at this stage as I’ve had too many false dawns but I am very optimistic that this could be it! If all goes to plan, I’ll have the wheels and brakes on the car by the end of October or beginning of November latest… it would have only taken 14 months by then! Once complete, I’ll have pictures and prices for anyone who’s interested. For the record, I’ll be going for 8x17 fronts and 9.5x18 rears, with 235/40x17 fronts and 265/35x18 rears (Yoko A048Rs); these are the control tyres for the mid-engined race series. I’m also looking to develop a fully adjustable suspension set-up with Ohlin, so watch this space… Peter, I’d be very interested to know when the proposed quicker steering rack upgrade becomes available. Cheers, David.

david_f
03-09-2005, 03:13 PM
I assume it wasn't possible for them to make a kit that would be an upgrade for those of us with (and want to keep) the OEM 16/17" wheels?

Unforfunately, that's correct. You'd need at least 17" fronts to fit the AP Racing front calipers. You wouldn't need 18" rears though, I wanted to go that way for tyre size reasons. Cheers, David.

david_f
03-09-2005, 03:14 PM
So whats the deal with this now? Any further developments?

After getting my ITR back and driving it for a while (it has a Spoon + Projecu Mu setup), then jumping back to my NSX, it feels like mash potato!! :o I have no confidence in doing any hard braking on the stock NSX setup anymore. To my surprise I didn't expect the difference in braking performace to be black n white when comparing my Teg and the NSX, seeing as before I got my Teg back I was driving my NSX all the time and it seems to be OK, but now its like the brakes don't even exist! :shock: So I think the stock setup has to go. It'll be nice to have the AP setup on there so keep us up to speed on this.

Please see above posts... we're almost there... Cheers, David.

Rob_Fenn
26-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a picture on my mobile of the front wheel covering the new brakes. If any of you have a mobile that can transfer pictures to PC it would be great if you could PM me and i can send you the photo!

Cheers,

-Rob

david_f
26-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone!

After 14 months of yes-no-yes-no... the AP Racing big brake kit is being fitted this week. Remember, this is a world's first and the only kit AP Racing has ever developed with a rear handbrake mechanism for the NSX (so road legal spec, not just race).

I'll give a full update next week with pictures.

Cheers, David.

Rob_Fenn
31-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Picture thread:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?p=5378#5378

Papalazarou
31-10-2005, 06:58 PM
The wheels scare me.
The brakes look fantastic.
When I've finished paying for my EPS control box I may invest.

Cheers,
James.

kane
30-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey guys! Is this kit ready yet, if so how can I order it to the US?

Ravi

david_f
01-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi Ravi. We are just weeks away from having the kit ready. I'd say from the New Year... it's awesome! Regards, David.

kane
01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
thanks, please keep me informed. my email is

kane@nsxpro.com

ravi

david_f
01-02-2006, 05:32 PM
The AP Racing big brake kit with 330mm discs front/rear and 6 pot front 4 pot rear (with handbrake), is now available from AP Racing! Cost is C£3,000.

This is a World's first for AP Racing and the NSX. If you want the best, call Pete Collen at AP Racing on 024 7688 3318 or email pete.collen@apracing.co.uk

Cheers, David.