PDA

View Full Version : Finally drove an NSX...

DamianW
24-02-2004, 01:01 PM
At the weekend I took a nearly new black targa NSX out for a drive. As a newcomer, potential purchaser, and an ex Elise owner of 5 years I thought you might be interested in my first impressions.

The car was at Thames Ditton Honda, and the chaps there were about as helpful as I could ask for. For starters they knew I had no intention of buying that car, but still allowed me to have a decent drive in it.

First of all I think the NSX, particularly the new model, looks absolutely cracking in glossy black. This car also had black interior, possibly a slight overkill on the black there ...

Speaking of interior, I found the inside to be very comfortable, and not as dated as I expected.

The drive wasn't really enough to get a handle on the car. It felt quick enough, certainly once past the VTEC barrier where the thing screams like a banshee. What a fantastic engine, I found myself dropping gears and nailing it just to listen. Just brilliant fun that. And where my Elise would give out at around 80mph the NSX just seemed to go on and on.

Pedals and gearchange are top notch, very pleasant to use. I was particularly fond of that very mechanical gear lever.

As per all the reviews over the years, I wasn't initially fond of the steering. Thats something I guess you get used to, but what a shame it has to feel a tad lifeless, a little slow geared.

Anyway, I come away convinced I want one!

Kevin
24-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Good for you. You can't go by what you read in magazines. You never know what hidden agenda a magazine article has. Even peoples opinions vary, some like NSXs some don't, or won't admit to it. Who cares about the interior? What makes an interior on a Ferrari so much more special and deserving of the price tag of the car anyway?

The hard part now is finding one to buy, unless you're buying a new one.

DamianW
24-02-2004, 03:20 PM
The hard part now is finding one to buy, unless you're buying a new one.

Absolutely. I've been looking for a while now, but since selling the Elise I'm much more serious. But there's not much out there in my range (around 35-40k).

I had wondered about trying to up my budget somehow to get a nearly new, as I really like the new headlights (subjective thing I guess).

Welshman
27-02-2004, 09:29 AM
There are a few up on Autotrader in or around that price bracket. Someone here looked at the £37,995 Imola coupe at Levant and said it was a bit tired. There's a £43,500 Imola Coupe with apparently only 2,900 miles on the clock at Alan Day. That might be worth a look.

DamianW
27-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I'm keeping my eye out. I don't want orange/yellow. In fact pretty much the only colours I'm really keen on are the blue, which is only on the newer car, or black.

I could be in for a wait in other words, but that doesn't worry me too much.