PDA

View Full Version : NSX De cat question

snow patrol
12-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Are there any benifits on the NSX to fit de cat pipes, I read on NSX prime that on the NSX it has minimal gains?

Would it be better to leave the cats and fit a lighter better flowing exhaust, or de cat and keep OEM system?

simonprelude
12-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I think the sport cats that have been bought in the group buy are supposed to give good gains, so a de-cat should be better still.

mutley
13-11-2008, 08:44 AM
While on this subject, can anyone confirm that a 1991 car does not need cats for MoT?

This is something I have pondered, heard variations that if they were fitted as standard then they have to be fitted for MoT and also heard that on a 1991 they do not need to be fitted due to the age.

Jim

simonprelude
13-11-2008, 09:18 AM
The catalyst test is part of the MOT test for most class IV spark ignition petrol engined passenger cars with four or more wheels first used on and after 1 August 1992.

Saying that, there is no visual check for a CAT on any vehicle, just if manufactured before the above date the emissions test has higher limits.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm

Senninha
13-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Moving to test pipes will significantly increase noise levels. If you are looking for improvements then a combination of headers, high-flow cats and a good free flowing exhaust are proven to release more power depending on the combination you use.

If you refer to the TDI rolloing road day thread I beleive there are a number of combinations now listed as to what different cars have on them and this may help you to decide.

Deending on the rest of your choices, decat or test pipes may actually fail you on noise rather than emissions subject to the testers view on the day.

HTH

amo
13-11-2008, 08:39 PM
go for it mate de-cat it.

91 dont need catsssssssss

lol
thx amo