PDA

View Full Version : NSX-R Mirrors

Sudesh
09-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Does anyone know how the mirror glass is attached to the NSX-R mirrors? The NSX-R does not have electric mirrors so I'm wondering what the attachment is like inside? Or does anyone have any Schematics of the internals of the mirror?

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-11-2008, 08:26 PM
FYI
Not easy to see with this size...

Regards,
Kaz

Sudesh
09-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Kaz thanks for the parts pic!! I noticed a few differences and was wondering if you knew the part numbers between the 2 mirrors?

I'm guessing it's more a case of replacing the complete mirror rather than replacing internal items.

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi, Sudesh.

I’ll send you the detail over the PM but just to share the basic with others.

The outer mirror housing (the painted plastic case attached to the door) design was not changed between NA1 and NA2 or between Type-R and rest of the models. However, the colour code and combination was changed over the years. For example, at some point, several new colours were introduced or replaced the old ones. Also, as you may have noticed, if you have selected the White as the body colour on NA2 Type-R, the standard mirror colour would be in Black. On the other hand, on NA1 Type-R, it was using the same colour for the mirror and the body.

As in the PM, if you want just the ‘Looks’ of the Type-R, then it would be best to just paint the outer housing. You can remove the wiring and still adjust the mirror manually by hand even on the remote controlled one.

I didn’t list the parts no. because there are more than 120 of them just for the mirror section depending on the colour code as well as Right and Left side.

Please have a look at the PM.

Regards,
Kaz

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Further information for you.

Please note that although the mirror housing (the painted plastic unit that is attached to the door) is the same between JDM and UK model, the mirror glass and actuator unit are different between the two countries. Also, as Type-R is only aimed for Japanese market, the part usage described here may not be suitable or potentially illegal for non-JDM cars.
All of the photos within this post are based on JDM and thus, some of them may be different from yours.

The door mirror on NSX consists of 3 major parts. They are the housing, the actuator (the unit that moves the mirror) and the mirror glass (the thin reflecting glass).

For the weight reduction purpose, Type-R was equipped with a manual controlled mirror where as the rest of the models were using remote controlled type.

When NA1 Type-R was introduced in 1992, it was not possible to just buy the mirror housing as a single part. You had to buy the whole assy which includes the 3 majour parts described above. Because of this, it was not possible to tell whether the housing was shared between Type-R and rest of the models or not unless you have actually purchased it (I didn't). The price of the whole door mirror assy was the same between Type-R and rest of the models despite the manual/remote mirror control.

Over the past years, to share as much parts as possible between Type-R and rest of the models, the latest parts list shows that all models will be using the same mirror housing. This means that the mirror housing will be delivered with the small wiring included regardless of the manual/remote controlled mirror. In fact, the difference between the manual and remote controlled mirror was only at the actuator unit and rest of the parts were the same.

It’ll be easier to understand by referring to the following photos;

4674 4672 4673
At the bottom of the door mirror, there is a small hole. This is the access hole for the small screw on the ‘actuator holder’. Just loosen it enough (no need to remove) to tilt the mirror glass towards you so that you can remove it from the housing unit. As you can see, there is not much electronics inside the housing. Just a small white 3 pin connector with 3 wires going back inside the door. The connector and wire can be easily removed from the housing and because of this, I believe the decision was made to share the housing for all the models including the Type-R.

4675 4676
The only difference between the manual and remote controlled mirror is at the actuator unit. The mirror is attached to the actuator unit and by replacing only the actuator, you can obtain the Type-R 'feeling'.
76210-SL0-J01: Actuator, R. Mirror [for JDM remote controlled type]
76215-SL0-J01: Actuator, L. Mirror [for JDM remote controlled type]

76210-SL0-J11: Actuator, R. Mirror [for Type-R, manual control]
76215-SL0-J11: Actuator, L. Mirror [for Type-R, manual control]

I did a quick search and not surprised to find that none of them were available through Honda UK. The last three digits are different for UK market. UK version will cost about £104+vat (each side). I'll get them from Japan if I need them....

Continues to the next post....

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-11-2008, 10:34 PM
4677 4678
As described above, the mirror glass is inserted/connected to the actuator unit. There is a big pivot in the centre surrounded by the two actuator, one for the up/down and the other one for the left/right movement.

The mirror glass on Type-R is the same as rest of the models which means that the fixing method between the glass and the actuator would be the same/similar on all models.
So, not sure how much difference you can get on the 'feelings' when you move the mirror by your finger between Type-R and rest of the models...

The mirror glass and actuator unit is only held by the small 'holder' at the base of housing.

Already tired of reading this?

Regards,
Kaz

Sudesh
11-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Kaz! Thanks for the email earlier and as we discussed thats exactially what I wanted to see as I mentioned the difference in feel between moving the electric mirror by hand as apposed to the the NSX-R manual movement.

Thanks for the very informative email and post here which is a big help on what I was looking to order.

Great write up/pics and details!