PDA

View Full Version : NA2 clutch needed

Driver Matt
30-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Set off for sunny Barcelona last Friday. Got to Limoges before clutch died. £41 worth of AA cover resulted in car being repatriated in covered wagon and me being lent a lovely pal Meriva. The exact opposite of an NSX, slow unstable, uncomfortable etc etc. Still managed to cross the Pyrenees and do business in Barcelona only much slower !
Honda quote for a new clutch is £3746.66 fitted.
A true bargain !!
Any ideas ????

simonprelude
30-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I would guess that price includes the flywheel which may or may not be needed on an NA2 depending on wear.

The flywheel is changed with the clutch on an NA1 but the complete assembly costs less than the NA2 flywheel alone.

Driver Matt
30-10-2008, 09:25 AM
You're right. Flywheel is £2081.76 !
Garage think it will need changing.
Does anyone think that there is anything better than the OEM ?

AR
30-10-2008, 10:00 AM
You might be able to get a conversion spline and get an NA1 clutch and flywheel.

simonprelude
30-10-2008, 10:03 AM
You're right. Flywheel is £2081.76 !
Garage think it will need changing.
Does anyone think that there is anything better than the OEM ?

On an NA2 there are few options unless you go to an NA1 style clutch and flywheel. You then need to change the shaft to the NA2 type R one as well.

Probably work out about the same price.

Might be worth talking to Rob about his flywheel and the chance of getting it skimmed.

Alternatively if the car is not needed urgently and not in bits already then get an order into the US for a clutch and flywheel. It will probably work out half the price of ordering one from Honda UK.

NSXGB
30-10-2008, 10:04 AM
There was a thread along a similar line a while back. It is possible that the flywheel could be skimmed if it should show some wear. Not sure if that route was taken or not in the end.....
Obviously at that price I'm sure the stealership would think it would need changing.

simonprelude
30-10-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1109

Lankstarr
30-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Wish I had stocked up when the £ was strong!

simonprelude
30-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Wish I had stocked up when the £ was strong!

You and me both :(

Oh well, as soon as it's up to £1 : $1.8 I'll be ordering again............ if it ever does.

markc
30-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Ask the garage exactly what the problem with the flywheel is. If it's surface damage (scratches) or a slight warp you can have this skimmed out/off. If it's a failure of the dual mass coupling, you need a new one.

A complete kit with flywheel is the belt and braces option and what most dealers are kind of required to recommend as they don't want customers coming back in a few months with a failed flywheel! You will probably have to sign something sayong you understand the risk of not replacing the flywheel as well.

I had a "nasty" pedal feel in mine and chose to replace just the pressure plate/friction plate/release bearing "package" (not the flywheel). A UK Honda dealer will sell you that lot for about £500. Fitting will be another £500 (7-8hrs) if you use non-Greater London Honda dealer hourly rates.

If I needed a new one I'd have used an after market one such as the RPS version and put up with the heavier pedal... http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1898

Cheers

Mark

WhyOne?
30-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh well, as soon as it's up to £1 : $1.8 I'll be ordering again............ if it ever does.

I am certainly not bright / brave enough to predict what will happen over the next few weeks and months on the currency markets.

However I note that today the US$ was running at $1.68 - £1, and with the US base rate now at 1%, there is now very little room left for manouvre there for the government.

I certainly wouldn't be at all surprised to see the US$ back at 1.8 before the end of the year.

NoelWatson
30-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I certainly wouldn't be at all surprised to see the US$ back at 1.8 before the end of the year.

I guess it depends on whether you think the US are in a bigger mess than the UK

Silver Surfer
30-10-2008, 01:27 PM
How much is a NA1 clutch kit all in BTW?

SS

simonprelude
30-10-2008, 01:40 PM
How much is a NA1 clutch kit all in BTW?

SS

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=846

About half price of the NA2 :(

Lankstarr
30-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I am certainly not bright / brave enough to predict what will happen over the next few weeks and months on the currency markets.

However I note that today the US$ was running at $1.68 - £1, and with the US base rate now at 1%, there is now very little room left for manouvre there for the government.

The US can't drop their interest rates much more whereas the UK has quite a way to go down. I don't workin investments but my understanding is that the a major function of currency fluctuations is the money inflow and outflow of a country and it's attractiveness to the overseas investor. Interest rates go down, o/seas investors pull out, pound gets weaker. America has no further to go down so if we start playing catch up I can see the pound getting much weaker:(

L*

TheSebringOne
01-11-2008, 08:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220114660275&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

You could try these, anyone brought one from them? Looks fantastic value or too good to be true?

Driver Matt
02-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Have ordered an RPS Performance Clutch from Dali.
Will let you know how the left leg develops.