PDA

View Full Version : VRM / DVLA Mileage report urgent help!!

snow patrol
13-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Dear All,

I have recently carried out a HPI check on a prospective NSX purchase but this has listed the following information, which i'm not sure what it could mean, all comment and feed back appreciated.

Car was registered 1-Aug 1995 but had 27,000 miles on 01-feb-1995 !!!!!!!

National mileage register
Mileages as recorded on the National mileage register
Date recorded Recorded by Mileage reading Total
01-Feb 1995 NMR 27,000 27,000
29thJuly-1999 Franchised dealer 4,203 4,203
24th Sept-1999 Franchised dealer 4,312 4,312
06-Jan-2006 DVLA 28,000 28,000
20th Jan 2006 DVLA 27,000 27,000
04-Feb 2008 DVLA 33,500 33,500
20-Mar-2008 DVLA 33,000 33,000

So it looks like the car had 27,000 in Feb 1995 before it was registered in 1-8-1995 on a N plate. Then in 1999 went from 27,000 to 4,203, then 2006 back to 28,000?????

Thanks for your help and feedback looks very suspect.

duncan
13-10-2008, 08:06 PM
i)note the VIN number from the plate on the front radiator cross panel
ii)check the number is the same as the one stamped in the rear engine bay panel
iii)Use the information from nsxprime to decode the VIN number to check year of manufacture
whilst in the engine bay look to see if a fan is mounted in the offside wing air intake, look to see if the engine has a throttle cable going to it.
Use the year by year info from nsxprime to see the the model year changes
now you know when it was built
iv)read the odometer and review against old MoT certs,
for a car up to 95, whether it has 4,000 or 30,000 is a little irrelevant, it is the current condition that matters
iv)count and check the number and type of service stamps; hope for an oil change most years, a couple of cam belt changes, a water pump replacement. On your quoted mileage the discs and pads could just about be original.
No mileage history, no service history, its back to how it currently stands; just remember there is no such thing as a 'just job'. If its that easy to fix the vendor would have done it!

Sudesh
13-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Before going into all that's mentioned above. Check the reg first as in some cases with HPI; miles, finance accident damage and so forth is recorded against the Reg Number, so if the car has had a few number changes or a cherished transfer there could be a few errors.

Get the chassis number and then track it back.

There also seems to be a big gap in what you posted about the cars history between: 1995 then history again in 1999?

Can you supply any more details of the car? It sounds strange that the car has had some form of history before being first registered?
In this case I would probably assume the car is an Import?

In my opinion it sounds like there is a few mistakes somewhere but with not alot of info to go on its hard to make a judgement.

If you can PM me a reg number and chassis I could probably help a bit more.

Lankstarr
14-10-2008, 05:45 AM
The DVLA ones could be the result of people writing mileage on the V5 when the car changes hands. I agree about the import scenario - letting us know the car could easily confirm this (i.e. does it have front headlight washers?). The later discrepancies could be due to people rounding different ways when noting the mileage to the DVLA and as they're close I wouldn't worry about them. I'd call the franchised dealer about the other 2 and ask the seller for a copy of the SH.

L*

TheSebringOne
14-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Is the NMR register compulsory with dealers & traders? or optional?

Dave J
16-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Is the NMR register compulsory with dealers & traders? or optional?

It's completely optional and yes i am a trader and therefore correct :). You do have to take care with these checks and make sure it relates to both registration and vin numbers. One thing i constantly find is that a reg number may have finance showing but that reg number actually now resides on a different car so you then have to check is it recorded against the vin number on the car you are checking up on.
If you have done an NMR check and it comes up as clean and no discrepancy against the car then you should be fine, many Ferrari's and Lambo's are constantly 'clocked' to kep the miles low but it'll never show up on any register so have a good look over the car and see how she drives and looks to you.
Dave.