PDA

View Full Version : NSXs on Pistonheads

Mariscalcus
29-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Gentlemen,

There are 2 NSXs on Pistonheads, both targas, about which I am interested in any opinions. I have been patiently waiting for a 3.2 targa to come up but they and hens' teeth seem to have much in common. Therefore, I would compromise on a 3.0 provided it met all the right criteria - low mileage, full service history etc.

The midnight purple one was for sale recently - registration L4OOT - and is now back for sale. Not sure why - identical advert as last time. The red one - N11NSX - is very interesting at first look and well within my budget. Does anyone know anything about either car.

Thanks for any advice.

David

AR
29-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Having seen the purple one yesterday I can tell you that it looks superb, has a really clean interior and super low miles for the year.

The owner is BlueNSX on this board and there are no know issues with the car.

Cheers,

AR

simonprelude
29-09-2008, 05:51 PM
The Purple one does indeed look very nice :)

As for being for sale, then listed again, if that's the case then it's only Mark relisting it as he has owned the car for a while :)

simonprelude
29-09-2008, 05:56 PM
As for N11NSX I'd check the paperwork on that one, seems to have been registered strangely...................

Colin Powell
30-09-2008, 07:20 PM
could you elaborate on why that is please

ChrisB
30-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi the NSX has had several private plates N11 NSX twice as shown on the HPI report below:

2-2-1996 N11 NSX

9-3-2004 N837 SFH

26-6-2004 2LAB

22-3-2007 N11 NSX

All comments welcome

Chris

simonprelude
30-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Just something to do with the engine number, could be nothing though.
Hence advising to check the paper work.

ChrisB
30-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi

The HPI shows the following:

Reg N11NSX
VIN JHMNA11800T400014
Engine D30A3-5000010

Presumably I need to check this against the actual engine itself

Thanks

Chris

TheQuietOne
30-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Is this your car then Chris? Sorry just checked you details and it appears not!!

Looks great, all bar the top panel (which I know is OEM) - I'd be on the look out for a red one on Prime if I had that car!!

ChrisB
30-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I agree would need to change the black roof panel, any idea it this is standard in Black on a red car?

TheQuietOne
30-09-2008, 09:33 PM
It was an option I think - the other T discussed in this thread has it aso but it isn't as noticable on the blue/purple car. FWIW Mark's L4OOT is a very fine example indeed!

This red one does look a great car on paper - and a very keen price. You'll need to get to the bottom of the 'strangeness' Simon highlights though, as he has the deepest database on UK NSX's in the country...:)

simonprelude
30-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi

The HPI shows the following:

Reg N11NSX

Engine D30A3-5000010

Presumably I need to check this against the actual engine itself

Thanks

Chris

Strange, the engine number of the previous chassis number is.....

VIN JHMNA11800T400013
Engine D30A35000011

What is it with D30 engines on the V5 ??

N11NSX
07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Just something to do with the engine number, could be nothing though.
Hence advising to check the paper work.

Hi, may I suggest before making judgements of "strange" issues that you first assertain this as fact with the owner of the car themselves rather than doing background checks then commenting that on a forum?

The Engine number is as it says it is : 30A3-5000010
VIN plate matches the chassis stamp, which all matches the V5.

I would suggest that the strangness is more to do with your database or whoever entered the data upon it. Or the sequence in which the cars were built at the factory, for whatever reason.

And like many cars, it has had a private plate, and hence shows as having several different regs numbers. The car currently showing with its orginal (private, of which was previously on retention) plate put back on. Some advert pics did have the plate blanked out to avoid confusion as they were showing 2LAB which is not the plate currently on the car.

Hope that clears up any issues.

Thanks.

simonprelude
07-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi, may I suggest before making judgements of "strange" issues that you first assertain this as fact with the owner of the car themselves rather than doing background checks then commenting that on a forum?

The Engine number is as it says it is : 30A3-5000010
VIN plate matches the chassis stamp, which all matches the V5.

I would suggest that the strangness is more to do with your database or whoever entered the data upon it. Or the sequence in which the cars were built at the factory, for whatever reason.

And like many cars, it has had a private plate, and hence shows as having several different regs numbers. The car currently showing with its orginal (private, of which was previously on retention) plate put back on. Some advert pics did have the plate blanked out to avoid confusion as they were showing 2LAB which is not the plate currently on the car.

Hope that clears up any issues.

Thanks.

The 'potential' issue I advised should be checked is to do with the engine number.

NSX's have 2 options.

All 5 speed manuals and all automatics have a C30 engine.
All 6 speed manuals have a C32 engine.

Your engine number is Engine C30A3-5000010 however the V5 states Engine D30A3-5000010 which is why I advised that this should be checked by any potential purchaser as the car (and by the looks of it most 1996 cars) has been registered incorrectly, rather than making a judgment.
Even with this possible issue I had numerous conversations with the potential buyer looking over the pictures you sent and thought the car looks very nice.

Manufacturers don't tend to make this kind of mistake, which is why I suggested that this be checked as I would have possibly thought the car might have had a replacement engine at some stage in it's life, which depending on how you look at it can be a good thing or a bad thing.
But, as mentioned it looks like whoever did the V5 registrations that year doesn't know the difference between a C and a D.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding and good luck with the sale if the car has not already sold.

N11NSX
07-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks

Apologies, but your initial posts read as if you were saying there was something dodgy about the car, when there isn't. So you can see what it appears like from my standpoint when someone on the internet who has never seen, owned or has first hand knowledge of the car is saying it has strange issues.

Finding this on the internet (googled "n11nsx" ) made the penny drop as a possible answer to why I had to endure a baffling amount of questions regarding the car's documentation. It is one reason why the car is no longer advertised - too much hassle, not enough time and definetely not enough patience. I have no interest in selling it apart from the space would come in handy to allow me to work on my Kawasaki H1 and RD500.

Having said that, there is someone comming to look at it tomorrow, and provided they are good to their word it will be sold.

The DVLA do make lots of errors, I've had it on previous cars on a number of occasions. For example it is common knowledge in Subaru circles that early Subaru Impreza Turbos were often incorrectly registered as 2.0GLs when new or imported, leading to potential insurance issues thereafter.

dan the man
07-11-2008, 10:07 PM
The Power of the Internet never ceases to Amaze me, joined every god darn thing - which is good in most ways.

Marks a Genuine guy with the purple one, went the ring with him this year as did a lot of other people and a car nut and decent owner he is that. Could buy off a lot worse :)

N11NSX
08-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes the power of the Internet!

It would have been just basic common decency and courtesy for simonprelude to have contacted me directly via the advert before spouting it on a public forum about these issues. When in reality this is the first instance I have become aware of this. His actions are somewhat reckless and unfair about making an issue out of nothing.

It is my car he is talking about after all! So it would have been nice to have been informed, otherwise its rather rude and not very fair on my behalf, as it looks bad on my part.

It would have saved me a lot of bother as well, I only smelt a rat when a prospective buyer performed a second Hpi check (not sure what that is supposed to achieve, but each to their own).

eclipse1501
08-11-2008, 12:19 PM
The 'potential' issue I advised should be checked is to do with the engine number.

NSX's have 2 options.

All 5 speed manuals and all automatics have a C30 engine.
All 6 speed manuals have a C32 engine.

Your engine number is Engine C30A3-5000010 however the V5 states Engine D30A3-5000010 which is why I advised that this should be checked by any potential purchaser as the car (and by the looks of it most 1996 cars) has been registered incorrectly, rather than making a judgment.
Even with this possible issue I had numerous conversations with the potential buyer looking over the pictures you sent and thought the car looks very nice.

Manufacturers don't tend to make this kind of mistake, which is why I suggested that this be checked as I would have possibly thought the car might have had a replacement engine at some stage in it's life, which depending on how you look at it can be a good thing or a bad thing.
But, as mentioned it looks like whoever did the V5 registrations that year doesn't know the difference between a C and a D.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding and good luck with the sale if the car has not already sold.

FWIW, with the greatest of intentions, and as harmless as it may seem, and all other notable cliches, I do believe if time allows forum members to post several potential "issues" then the same time should be taken to research those issues by the interested source/poster or better still PM the potential buyer privately - as the saying "sh1t sticks" does come to mind with prestige motor cars reputations. I know its tempting when we have HPI and DVLA on line toys and databases to play with but it can also create "issues" that are actually perfectly harmless and absolutely nothing to do with the mechanical condition of the car. I know one owner whose favourite pass time was swapping his private UK plates and it nearly came back to bite him when DVLA cocked up on a V5 change. Had that issue been made common knowledge on a forum it could easily have dented the reputation of a perfectly good supercar. I think there should maybe be a separate section on here for VIN related enquiries as public forum posts or debate is only speculation and potentially a police issue if what we are really saying here is that paperwork does not tally up.

eclipse1501
08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes the power of the Internet!

It would have been just basic common decency and courtesy for simonprelude to have contacted me directly via the advert before spouting it on a public forum about these issues. When in reality this is the first instance I have become aware of this. His actions are somewhat reckless and unfair about making an issue out of nothing.

It is my car he is talking about after all! So it would have been nice to have been informed, otherwise its rather rude and not very fair on my behalf, as it looks bad on my part.

It would have saved me a lot of bother as well, I only smelt a rat when a prospective buyer performed a second Hpi check (not sure what that is supposed to achieve, but each to their own).

I only read this after posting my comments above but this is exactly the problem Iam talking about and is also why I have been critical in the past of some of the lightweight chat mentality of some posts on NSXCB. Heated debate and opinions are one thing but personal data (whether available for public interpretation or not) has to be treated with some care on a public forum.

N11NSX
08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Thank you, I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet. Understandably its not pleasent to find people saying negative things about my own car concerning matters which I was unaware of. It's trivial in this instance, and I'm glad its nothing more than that (yes, I did get that sick feeling in my stomach when I read the google search result). But as you say, s**t sticks, so its highly important things are clarified fully before making it public. It doesn't affect just me, it also affects future owners too when they come to sell the car on.

Anyway, the NSX is sold as of today. I hope the new owner is happy with it; Its sad to see it go, I know it will be difficult find another one like that without spending considerably more money on a much newer model.

snow patrol
08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi N11 NSX,

After driving home 300 miles without stopping, getting out without any back ache and a huge smile on my face, I would just like to say that I am truly fortunate to own this car and it is a true credit to you!

It is without doubt the best car I have ever owned.

Thank you again for your patience :)

Silver Surfer
09-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Congrats Snowpatrol,

Hope you have many happy motoring miles! Keep smiling like the Joker. :)

SS

simonprelude
09-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi N11 NSX,

After driving home 300 miles without stopping, getting out without any back ache and a huge smile on my face, I would just like to say that I am truly fortunate to own this car and it is a true credit to you!

It is without doubt the best car I have ever owned.

Thank you again for your patience :)

Glad you've finally got one after the discussions we have had :)

JQD84983
09-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Good luck with the ownership. I know you wont be dissapointed.

Hope the weather on the way back home was better than it was here!

snow patrol
09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks Guy's I now know what all the fuss is about...the weather back was horrible raining and blowing, driving back however felt like i was piloting air wolf all the way home :)

TheSebringOne
09-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Congrats on your new P & J. Enjoy the many years of having a smile on your face when you go out in her! :)

Deuce
31-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi,

Just a little plug for anybody interested.......

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/877840.htm

Its got to go....I'm really gutted, but I have had plenty of fun while I had it!

TheSebringOne
01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Sorry, you are selling & good luck. Price looks good especially with such low mileage. Wow 3300 !

Ewan
01-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Good price indeed - wasn't this car the one that Graypaul were selling for £50k only about a year ago, with practically delivery mileage?

rgds
Ewan

Deuce
24-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi,

Just a little plug for anybody interested.......

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/877840.htm

Its got to go....I'm really gutted, but I have had plenty of fun while I had it!

Well it sold over a month ago and I got the price I was asking for!

My replacement.....XFR!

TheSebringOne
25-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Congrats on the sale of a ultra low mileage example! Is the new owner introducing himself?

I do like those new Jags! :)