PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of this Singapore GP Circuit

JQD84983
28-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Just watching the repeat of the qualifying and wondered what everyone else thinks about the circuit?

I may be wrong but it looks a bit too tight for overtaking and the night aspect seems a bit of a gimic.

I am dissapointed that monetary factors drive the venues rather than the ability to provide a decent race. Wh knows in 2 hours i may be proved wrong!

NSXGB
28-09-2008, 10:05 AM
....I predict lots of safety car action and lots of retirements due to suspension damage over the dodgy kerbs....and if it rains :eek:.

NSXGB
28-09-2008, 10:10 AM
....also with my 'Green' hat on, in this day and age of reducing the carbon footprint, how can they justify lighting up x thousand lights for this event?

TheSebringOne
28-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I think it will be a new exciting era, visually spectacular, amazing city back drop & potentially more dangerous. Most of the drivers say its the bumpiset circuit around with cars moving around constantly, which makes the drivers work OT and exciting to watch! I know a night race is gimmicky & means more PR/exposure & money for a greedy short man! Sorry Bernie! For those who are not keen, why not have a night race, they do it in most sports now anyroad, look at Le Man & the series :)

NSXGB
28-09-2008, 12:20 PM
.....impressions at half distance.....a very boring procession...

Senninha
28-09-2008, 04:48 PM
.....impressions at half distance.....a very boring procession...

Thanx to Piquet that all changed didn't it ...... and then Ferrari hit the self destruct button too :)

JQD84983
28-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Just watched the VCR'd race when I came in.

Great that Ferrari finally got punished. Lewis had a decent race. Some overtaking (more than I thought) and fully agree about the carbon footprint.

Mixed revue I guess. Best thing was that we did not have to get up in early hours to watch it live.

jaytip
28-09-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't think the carbon footprint is an issue.All those lights turned on for a few hours over a few days would have negligable(sp?) effect on climate change.

NSXGB
29-09-2008, 07:41 AM
I don't think the carbon footprint is an issue.All those lights turned on for a few hours over a few days would have negligable(sp?) effect on climate change.

:laugh: I was not suggesting because they turned their lights on we would have a warmer climate by tomorrow. :)

Just thought it was unnecessary really. If we all do our bit....obviously I've done my bit by not buying a gas guzzling Aston and bought a fuel efficient Honda....

I'm no Greenpeace activist BTW, just a general observation....

Ewan
29-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Agree re the wastefulness of running the lights - it's quite a long circuit and there was so much light, it could have been daylight as far as the drivers are concerned. The lights are said to be 4x as bright as floodlights on a football field and they ran on several generators to keep them going.

Compare & contrast with Le Mans, where there are big bits of the circuit in total darkness, with only the pit straight complex and the corners getting any kind of illumination.

Reading McNish's comments about Le Mans vs F1 in the latest Shell V-Power magazine sums up the biggest difference between the two (apart from the overtaking, the risk of driver fatigue and propensity for mistakes, oh and the fact that an LMP1 car tops out at 230mph): he said a Le Mans car covers more distance in its 24 hours than an F1 car does all season, and each of the 3 drivers completes several GP's worth of driving during the one race.