PDA

View Full Version : Newby Alert

Bibbs
19-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Just thought I'd post to say hi and explain a bit about myself.

My name is Ben and I'm an MR2 Turbo owner. Been looking for an "upgrade" for a while and I'm thinking about an early spec NSX. So I thought I'd join up and find out a bit of info.

I'm wanting to keep the 2 seats and MidEngine layout, and only a Exige (mk2) or a noble (too expensive) would really compare.

Really be looking for a manual, aero (if possible) and not red. Not fussed about import/UK as I've got a *** MR2 and I can't see the hastle.

Now to start the saving and trying to sell the MR.

Cheers peeps,
Ben.

jaytip
19-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Not fussed about import/UK as I've got a japanese MR2 and I can't see the hastle.

Hi Ben,and welcome to the board.The above quote could come back and bite you in the arse,HARD.
Parts for the NSX can be extremely expensive,far more than you would ever believe,and if you know nothing about the potential cars history it could become a very expensive mode of transport.
The advantage of buying a UK car is that you can run a HPI check on it.While this is not 100% bulletproof it is pretty good because the NSX is so expensive to repair in the event of an accident,so most bumps are fixed through the insurance companys.
Good luck in your search though and if you do get a good one you will be one very happy man :D

Bibbs
19-05-2005, 04:47 PM
When I mentioned import, I men of origin. I don't think I'll go through the 6 weeks of waiting for a car to be delivered again.

Just thought I'd sign up and learn a bit about the car before *really* hunting. I'm in no rush, the MR2 is taking all my cash at the moment and the next step in modifying it will be a killer.

Here is a pic of my car round the 'ring last year, I was back again over Easter too.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/albums/album01/pic3.sized.jpg

The problem is the MR2 is a 1993 car and cause she's quite modified, things are starting to deteriorate on her.

I'm really a fan of Mid engined driving (after 5 years of MR2's) and I defo feel the need for pop up headlights.

I take it the engines are in a fairly high state of tune already? I saw a car out in europe with a blower bolted to it. Very nice.

Rash
21-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi Ben,
hows it going - see you made your way over from TOC..... dont worry your secrets safe with me :wink:

Rash.

ctrlaltdelboy
21-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi Ben

I was at the ring over Easter too with my Silver NSX - there's a thread here about it.

I take you are talking about Gerards Supercharged NSX - Red one with black wheels also at the ring Easter weekend.

Welshman
22-05-2005, 09:23 AM
When I mentioned import, I men of origin. I don't think I'll go through the 6 weeks of waiting for a car to be delivered again.

You will see very few NSXs being imported into the UK and those that are imported will probably be only marginally cheaper than A UK car. The Japanese like their NSXs. So you will not find a similar position as applies to Mitsubishi 3000 GTs which can be had over here for between £6 and £10k.

Bibbs
23-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi Ben

I was at the ring over Easter too with my Silver NSX - there's a thread here about it.

I take you are talking about Gerards Supercharged NSX - Red one with black wheels also at the ring Easter weekend.

Think I saw your car, the SC'ed car was very nice .. shame about the red :wink:

Looking at the trader I saw a car that matches all my criteria .. but is a cat D write off :( if it was an MR2 I'd be tempted to look (as I know the car well) but I'd not really know what to look for.

Shame there is such a void in the ME RWD market.

bfuller
24-05-2005, 11:50 AM
:roll:

Good choice of car Ben :D

Perhaps I could "detune" the CRX whenever your about so your assured your 20ks worth of NSX was worth it :wink:

Can I turbo it...

Please?

:mrgreen:

Bibbs
24-05-2005, 12:39 PM
:roll:

Good choice of car Ben :D

Perhaps I could "detune" the CRX whenever your about so your assured your 20ks worth of NSX was worth it :wink:

Can I turbo it...

Please?

:mrgreen:

Ha ha, I'm not getting one for out and out speed .. I'm sure after the hybrid and IC are slapped on the MR2 it'd be quick as a quick thing .. but I'm wanting a better all round car. Longer wider and lower ..

And it'll actually be cheaper on insurance and better on MPG .. it's a way to save money - Honestly.

Bibbs
24-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Quick question guys .. I'm off to look at one this weekend.

Is there a buyers guide I can find on the net anywhere?

It's a '95 Targa Manual.

AR
24-05-2005, 10:26 PM
I hope is not the write off cat D from Autotrader.

Bibbs
24-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I hope is not the write off cat D from Autotrader.

Yeah it is, going to have a proper look over her.

I know if could be worse to sell on, but I'm used to keeping cars for a fair few years .. so if she's straight I'll defo be interested.

AR
24-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Good luck mate and keep us updated.

Bibbs
24-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Will do .. got to find a buyers guide for any specifics ..

I assume it's the usualy flick every switch, turn every dial and anything that knocks, bumps and grinds is costly ..