PDA

View Full Version : Current S2000 owner thinking of moving up

Cola
16-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I've come to a bit of an impass - I've owned my S2000 for 3 and a bit years - nothing comes close for the money (for me - no arguments please) but getting another one just seems lame. I've always liked the NSX but thought it beyond my pocket - now I'm thinking "hell why not?"

I can't even consider getting new, but I would stretch to a similar level as a new S2000 (say £25k - 30k)

So learned ones - what do I need to know?

3.2 v 3.0
Manual v. Auto
T bar v. rigid
Big services - cam/clutch/brakes

Welshman
16-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Definitely the Manual rather than the Auto.

3.2 if you can get one - you should be able to at the top end of your budget.

Coupe is more rigid than a Targa but I had a 1995 3.0l Targa and thoroughly enjoyed it. Drive both and decide what it is you want.

Cola
16-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks for that Welshman - this is all your fault for posting pics of your NSX at s2ki.com :wink:

Is the 6 speed manual only on the 3.2?

Welshman
17-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that Welshman - this is all your fault for posting pics of your NSX at s2ki.com :wink:

Is the 6 speed manual only on the 3.2?#

Yes, my 3.0l Targa just had a 5 speed box. 6th gear on a 3.2 is a bit higher than 5th on a 3.0l so the revs come down a bit when you're cruising down the Mway.

What name do you lurk under on S2ki?

Cola
17-05-2005, 04:33 PM
What name do you lurk under on S2ki?

errrr the hugely original "Colin Andrews" - I was young and foolish and didn't realise you don't register under your real name :oops:

Cola
17-05-2005, 04:35 PM
... I think I've now found the key threads that have the info I'm looking for - just need to lurk to hear any tales of woe on high mileage or under used examples :wink:

jaytip
17-05-2005, 11:15 PM
try looking on this site
www.nsxprime.com
it has loads of info and a lot of owners with very high milage NSX's

Welshman
18-05-2005, 09:57 AM
... I think I've now found the key threads that have the info I'm looking for - just need to lurk to hear any tales of woe on high mileage or under used examples :wink:

Colin

If the car is properly maintained it is pretty bulletproof.

Look for a FSH, preferably with a Honda garage which has technicians trained to service NSXs - you could let any Honda garage do an oil and filter change but a clutch replacement or a cambelt change should only be entrusted to experts. There used only to be about 5 garages authorised to service NSXs, one of which is up in your neck of the woods in Glasgow or Edinburgh. I wouldn't touch one if there any gaps in the service history.

Make sure that the car is absolutely straight. Get it up on a ramp - it will be self evident if it has been bent.

Nick Graves
25-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi Colin,

Due to a total and utter lack of imagination and a surfeit of forgetfulness, I also log in under my real name.

If you've got the roads and the space around you for a vastly more capable car, I'd say do it!

Having driven a 3.2 Coupe, it really is in a supercar league way above the S2000 (although it's a luxury car, not a pure sports like the S2K) and a must do. The combination of handling and refinement is extraordinary, especially since it uses no more rubber!

I would like to try a Targa, although it's still a bit bulky for my part of the overcrowded South (and my garage!)

AquilaEagle
05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Go-on Colin, see how many nsx's you can get through :D

swlabhot
16-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Its a natural progression up to the flagship. U won't be dissappointed. Go for the 3.2L 6sp man for sure. They're very rare but take your time to look for a good example and don't compromise! G Luck!