PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite thing about the NSX

Lankstarr
17-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Top three things I love are:

Looks
Noise
Reliability

Probably in that order... am I missing out on anything major?

Maybe I haven't noticed how practical it is with the two rear seats that conveniently fold out of the centre armrest?

What do you love... ok I guess we should also ask what do you hate?:eek:

I HATE

Headlight washers - why why why ruin her lovely lines
Euro smile and number plate surround - there's a theme here, the Japanese keep all the best bits!
Dated interior - not too bad but there are a few things that could do with being updated.

Definitely in that order... headlight washer GRRRRRRR... who's honestly ever used them!>?

L*

Sudesh
17-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Cant complain about the headlight washers, Euro smile or the interior as I don’t have the washers or Euro smile!! and as I've done some updates to my interior and some more to follow I'm well pleased for now.:)

What I do like is the same as you Luke, plus the fact the NSX is a rare exotic and still to this day attracts huge attention from all ages and looks every bit as stunning as from the first time it was unveiled. Also with the brilliance of having been quite an inspirational car from day one, [I recall on magazine saying something along the lines of, "Until The NSX came along, Supercars were cr*p"]
plus the added touch of having insight from Gordon Murray and Aerton Senna it always make an interesting point in a conversation with those who don’t know what the car is.

Its an amazing piece of engineering and styling, and I think the next generation NSX will need to be something "hugely" impressive if its to be better.

AR
17-09-2008, 06:33 PM
1-Power-Yes is only around 300 BHP and around the same torque as modern diesel estate, but the way it is delivered!!!

2-Looks-The general shape of the car is timeless.

3-Sound-Even in stock form it sounds better than most cars.

Dislikes

1-Power-Why not give it 120 bHP per litre like the S2K? Why not have a flat plane crank? Would 3.5 litres make it that heavy? ITBs like on M3s would have been nice too.

2-Looks-Same complaints as Luke. Pop up headlights were already outdated when the NSX was released. Tailights and the lightsaber. Sunk inb sideskirts. Eurosmile bumper.

3-Sound- One has tpo rev the crap out of a stock NSX to get it to make any sort of spine tingling noise. Why include all sort of complications in the intake system to make it quieter? Give it the heaviest exhaust and most strangling system know to man? Let's not even talk about the BOSE system.

eclipse1501
17-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Before I bought one
1.Looks
2.Apparent Power
3.Noise

Now after having one for a while
1.Noise
2.Usability/my daily driver
3.Looks

Silver Surfer
17-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Before I bought one
1.Looks
2.Apparent Power
3.Noise

Now after having one for a while
1.Noise
2.Usability/my daily driver
3.Looks

I presume these are things you like! ;)

SS

JQD84983
17-09-2008, 07:29 PM
1. Looks. Classic and fresh even after 17 years.
2. Power. More than enough for road driving.
3. Noise. Spin tingling above 6000rpm
4. Comfort (relative for a sports car)
5. Visibility (relative for a sports car)
6. Rarity/Exclusivity. Both in the NSX's case.

Dislikes (and this is all relative and minor)
1. Ancient Stereo System
2. Lack of standard remote locking
3. Remote control car aerial
4. Cheap LCD clock

And there is nothing in this list that puts me off enough to sell her!

SILVER BULLET
17-09-2008, 08:22 PM
1. Exclusivity
2. Looks:cool:
3. Drivability
4. Comfort
5. Economy (when driven sensibly)I do sometimes!! honest:laugh:
6. Engine sound in vtec
7. Watching Porsche drivers pretending not have noticed us
8. The only car that gets me smiling every time that I drive it
9. Good size boot for type of car

Less likeable:(
Silly clock that you can't see in daylight
Ugly aerial
That number plate holder on the front

JQD84983
17-09-2008, 10:24 PM

LOL - I forgot that one. makes it worth every penny!

eclipse1501
18-09-2008, 04:55 AM
I presume these are things you like! ;)

SS

Thread Title:Your favourite thing about the NSX

Papalazarou
18-09-2008, 07:11 AM
The low gear transmission shunt and the notchy gearbox when cold.

Cheers,

James.

WhyOne?
18-09-2008, 08:58 AM
View from the drivers seat.
Induction howl TWO @ ~4000rpm upwards.
Build quality (even in areas not usually seen.....suspension arms for example.)

Dislikes:

Rusty brake calipers!

simonprelude
18-09-2008, 09:00 AM
That number plate holder on the front

Rusty brake calipers!

What number plate holder..............
Racing Brake discs resolve that one..........

Likes - It just works. How many F-car owners can say that ??

WhyOne?
18-09-2008, 09:01 AM
The low gear transmission shunt .......

Hi James.....what is transmission shunt please? (No, I am not being facetious!)

WhyOne?
18-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Racing Brake discs resolve that one..........

How so Simon......it is the calipers which are upsetting me?

AR
18-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Likes - It just works. How many F-car owners can say that ??

Well I tried following an F430 in my Landcruiser ( I know :rolleyes:) and can report it sounded and looked as if it was working very, very well.

Wish I was in the NSX, at leash I would have won in the sound department.

Lankstarr
18-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Some common faults and hates - most of which a remidiable. In case people don;t know solutions:

Headlights - fit HiDs... it updates the look no end.

Calipers - Get them coated and choose your colour, many people have and it shocks me when I see an NSX with rusty calipers just how much it detracts from the look of the car.

Euro smile and headlight washers - go JDM! Strengthen the smile.

Stereo - Only way is to replace the lot - the sub presents a probelm though if you want bass.

Remote locking - an aftermarket alarm is worth it for the extra peace of mind... free central locking as well!

Aerial - Smartenna (keeps aerial down when not listening to radio), disconnect completely and check your reception, fit S2000 or similar aerial.

LCD clock - learn to love it baby!

Notchy gear change - this used to be one of the worst things about my car... now the gearbox oil has been changed I hardly notice it and it disappears very quickly when warming up. A must for a notchy gearbox on a 3.2!

I hope this helps!

L*

simonprelude
18-09-2008, 12:24 PM
How so Simon......it is the calipers which are upsetting me?

I'll learn to read properly next time :(

TheQuietOne
18-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi James.....what is transmission shunt please? (No, I am not being facetious!)

The feeling from the dif' at very low speeds - clunk, clunk!

jaytip
18-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Not owning one anymore :(

mutley
18-09-2008, 12:59 PM
like:

Confusion: people asking what the car actually is!! (Funniest one being from a Honda civic owner)

Dislike: the prices Honda want to charge to do anything with it.

Papalazarou
18-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Dislike: the prices Honda want to charge to do anything with it.

Funny you say that Mutley, Ian (Silverbullet) and I are having our 54K services tomorrow and the difference between Taunton Honda and Chiswick for the same service was £250.00!

Cheers,

James.

mutley
18-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Funny you say that Mutley, Ian (Silverbullet) and I are having our 54K services tomorrow and the difference between Taunton Honda and Chiswick for the same service was £250.00!

Cheers,

James.

£250!!! That is quite a difference!!! How do they work these prices out?

sassthathoopie
18-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Noise
Taitec exhaust means the car sounds awesome where ever it is in the rev range; so much so that the drivers window tends to be down most of the time! Car sounds unbelivable doing three point turns in tiny Italian piazzas!

Passion/Exotic
For me everything about the car exudes a feeling of being studied in detail by highly committed Japanese engineers, every bit as passionately as their Italian counterparts, only with better execution

Performance
This car just takes apart an A road in comparrison to my previous cars!

Usability
As happy thraping up an alpine pass as it is at high speed motorway cruising

Individuality
Maybe I've had my eyes closed but I still haven't seen another one on UK roads

Value
I feel like I have 7/10s of a Carrera GT or McLaren F1 for 1/15 of the price...

Dislikes:
Haven't got around to fixing the BOSE sound system, leaky AC or the passenger window seals - but that's not the car's fault.

NSX 2000
18-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Noise
Taitec exhaust means the car sounds awesome where ever it is in the rev range; so much so that the drivers window tends to be down most of the time! Car sounds unbelivable doing three point turns in tiny Italian piazzas!

Passion/Exotic
For me everything about the car exudes a feeling of being studied in detail by highly committed Japanese engineers, every bit as passionately as their Italian counterparts, only with better execution

Performance
This car just takes apart an A road in comparrison to my previous cars!

Usability
As happy thraping up an alpine pass as it is at high speed motorway cruising

Individuality
Maybe I've had my eyes closed but I still haven't seen another one on UK roads

Value
I feel like I have 7/10s of a Carrera GT or McLaren F1 for 1/15 of the price...

Agree with all the above.

The BIGGEST thing you have all missed with regrds to like is......

NSXCB!!!!

craigdonnelly
18-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree with all of the common likes and dislikes. I also like knowing when I see or watch almost every new supercar that they wouldn't be as good without the NSX.

Martin
18-09-2008, 08:39 PM

soooo true :-)

gsuds
18-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Has to be the flexibilty. Boring, I know.
Edinburgh to Castle Combe in real comfort.
Weekly shop at Sainsbury's with the dog and my daughter in the car :no:
Visiting patients in a large rural area.
And THEN...the noise, the poke, the delicate handling, the rarity, the quality, the "faithful supercar"....between 'em all :laugh:

Real dislikes? None. Even the prices - the items stinging me in recent times were beautiful quality forged ally gubbins for a rare ally car - again, try pricing similar Ferrari or Porsche items. Yes the interior didn't change any over the years, (it was still quite good at launch though) and staring wide-eyed out the windscreen solves that one. Having to sell it :(

Graham

TheSebringOne
18-09-2008, 10:10 PM
My fave things:

Rare & different, something different than a Porsche or Ferrari
looks thats timeless/classic shape
noise
reliability, craftsmanship & build quality
Senna & Murray

Not so fave things:

dated interior
maybe another 30 to 60 bhp as chassis & gearbox can handle it
Eurosmile & headlamp jet wash
Would prefer 02+ front looks
dated rear lights

Apart from that I love her, in addition to my wife that is! :)

Lankstarr
19-09-2008, 11:00 AM
maybe another 30 to 60 bhp as chassis & gearbox can handle it

If that's one of your hates I'm confused as to why you brough a silver one!? Everyone knows red (with an undercoat of IOP) is the fastest!

Nick Graves
19-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Transmission shunt is when the engine torque reacts against teh direction of rotation of the driveshafts on & off power. It's a big heavy thing and it's the bane of tansverse-engined cars.

I find on all my Hondas, cleaning its gizzard out with spray choke cleaner & tightening the throttle cable so there's no play (yeas, I know...) really helps improve matters.

And yes, changing the oil makes the cogbox less lumpy. For a while.

TheSebringOne
19-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Luke, theres nothing I hate mate! Just a slight gripe! Thats new to me that certan colours are scientifically quicker than others!? I'm sure my PWR is better than yours as your'e 6.5 tall and Im quite a bit shorter & lighter I think?! :D

Lankstarr
20-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Here you go mate - proof that red cars are faster:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:ZmLm5nCvd4YJ:www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/108801-sitting-light-today.html+%22proof+that+red+cars+are+faster%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

... and that ferrari red is the fastest of all reds:cool:

I'm looking forward to the next RR day... If I top 300... from 274 then I'm 10% up on power. That means I can carry 10% more weight and after shedding a few kgs with mods I think that means I'm entitled to at least 150kg more than an OEM NSX before I'm in danger of having a lower PTW ratio. I might be big but I'm not that big!

Just how small are you James?

TheSebringOne
21-09-2008, 11:18 AM
:laugh::laugh: Ohhh thats a bit low! literally low! That guy is the shortest man in the world at 2.5m from Mongolia! I'm sure his low weight is worth at least 10 bhp! :D I hate to break your heart Luke but am I at least 3 X times taller! :)

Strange that you posted that web link, we also own a low mileage GTV 3.0 V6 24V & its RED!!

jaytip
21-09-2008, 05:17 PM
That guy is the shortest man in the world at 2.5m
and you call that short ;)

TheQuietOne
21-09-2008, 05:36 PM
James if you are 7.5m tall you must be in the circus....non?

Frankintegra
21-09-2008, 11:07 PM
1. Technology (VTEC, Titanum Con Rod, All Aluminum Chasis and body,8000RPM ) It is just now sports cars are catching and surpasing after 18 years.( Patents have run out)
2. Balance and grace, The Finesse
3. The fluid body
4. The delivery of power with the sound behind your head! NA all the way!
5. The abilily to maintain the car myself! ( Just like a civic)

Dislikes :

1. The Power ( amount of power)
2. The brakes ( When on the Track)

mutley
22-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I have noticed a few mention the dated rear lights as a dislike thing. I have thought for a while that teh dull red lenses do make the car look older, pity there hasn't been a modification to give them "sparklier" rear lights. I'm not talking about the "lexus look" nonsense, just a bit shinier.

Jim

Lankstarr
22-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I like the rear lights and like you say think they could do with having something added. I'm not a fan of the large ovals in the 02+ lights... just as the whole world tries to make their indicators fit in with the red and white lenses for a clean look Honda go and try to make a feature out of the horrible amber bits!

I think the current lights would work better with some sort of different reflectors or leds in the back. Due to the only holes available being part of the rear sub frame I'm not sure you could achieve anything without some choppy choppy.:no:

I'm probably wrong... and someone's probably already done something!

L*

Sudesh
22-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I dont mind the rear lights but if you prefer brighter, isnt the US tail lights brighter??

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/tail_2.jpg

TheSebringOne
23-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Guys N Gals, I meant 2ft 5 inches, rather than 2.5 metres. Thought you were all clever enought to work that out!?! :laugh: Oh I'm 5.8!

On the rear lights, I like the 02+ big orange size indicators! Then again the NSX was conceived in 1989, so its rear lense is New Romantic style, but then its part of the old charm :)

jaytip
24-09-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm probably wrong... and someone's probably already done something!

L*
Yep.There is a thread about it on prime.It's quite an old thread though.

Lankstarr
24-09-2008, 05:56 AM
I dont mind the rear lights but if you prefer brighter, isnt the US tail lights brighter??

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSX/tail_2.jpg

I'll have a dig on Prime to see the conversion.

Not sure about the US lights being brighter but I do know that the JDM cars have more lights that light up at the back when braking and this looks much better!