PDA

View Full Version : NA2 O2 sensor fault - anyone else replaced them?

Ewan
01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I know there are loads of posts on Prime (and on here) regarding O2 sensor failure, but most of them seem specific to NA1 cars, and I wondered if anyone in the UK has had to replace sensors on the NA2/02+ cars yet? If so, I'd welcome some advice about which part to get and the feasibility of DIY fixing given that I've got sod all mechanical credentials :)

I've had an intermittent Check Engine Light come on for a few weeks now - the pull-the-clock-fuse trick makes the problem go away for anything from a few days to several weeks, then it comes back. Using the short-service-connector method, the CEL blinked once (accompanied by a click that sounded like a relay behind the passenger seat), which would indicate (from http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm):

Front HO2SP0151
P0152Front Primary HO2S Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
Front Primary HO2S Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

I got hold of an OBD-II fault reader today and it was actually

P0161Front Secondary HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

Now on the cars with 4 O2 sensors, I figure this means front secondary (or post-cat) - eg Denso (http://www.oxygensensors.com/crossreference.php?&walker=234-4093&pkey=1411142) Catalog part # 234-4093 Replaces:
Honda/Acura 36531P-5A003, 63531P-5G003, 36531P-Y3003, 36531P-R7A01.

Any thoughts?
Word on Prime seems to be that replacing the sensors can be a bit of a bitch, especially the front ones. I'd probably be happy to pay Honda Reading to do the work (unless anyone on the board feels like volunteering their help in doing it for a small fee :think:).

Would it be worth replacing more than just the failed one, do you think? ie if one of the fronts has gone, is it worth swapping em both out?

thanks in advance, etc.

Ewan

goldnsx
01-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Ouou! This is the 3rd time I've heard of this on a NA2 car in Europe. One of them bought a new ECU finally. This should not be a hint to start the troubleshooting with. :)

What you can do first is checking the car according to the S/M but it will soon tell you to replace the o2 sensors. As for changing them you could start with the indicated one and see if the problem goes away before you replace all four at once.

Ewan
01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
As for changing them you could start with the indicated one and see if the problem goes away before you replace all four at once.

Thanks! I'm going to the States in a week or so's time, so I think I'll order a replacement O2 sensor there ($93 in place of whatever H-UK want for an OEM part - probably £200) and give it a try.

Might speculatively pick up a flywheel and clutch while I'm there, too :D

goldnsx
02-09-2008, 06:58 AM
As in this case I'd get an OEM sensor in the US, not a replacement.

Driver Matt
02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I have the same fault. Orange light on continuously. Honda diagnostic said sensor failure and Honda UK technical suggested changing part.
Honda ordered me a new sensor 6 weeks ago and expect delivery in another 2 weeks.
Will let you know if it goes away.

Ewan
02-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I have the same fault. Orange light on continuously. Honda diagnostic said sensor failure and Honda UK technical suggested changing part.
Honda ordered me a new sensor 6 weeks ago and expect delivery in another 2 weeks.
Will let you know if it goes away.

Matt

Have you tried pulling out the clock fuse under the bonnet to clear the fault? It may be a one-off in your case...

Did Honda give you a quote for the part and an estimate of time to fit?

cheers
Ewan

eclipse1501
03-09-2008, 06:51 AM
One of my NA1 O2 sensors was dodgy, and I also noticed the exhaust was blowing very slightly at a joint (couldn't hear it but noticed black deposits)so I fit new headers (which came with brand new O2 sensors included) and the labour all in was equivalent £240.

I ordered an NA1 header set from USA and they delivered a later NA2 header set by mistake to start with (which I kept and have listed in the for sale section here on NSXCB)

It would be interesting to know if any NA2 users moved onto headers in the UK, I know its pretty common in USA/Prime. But the point I make is it is worth thinking about (if you are that way inclined) the longer term, considering headers for your NA2 car if the Honda labour figure is ridiculous just to swap a single sensor and you intend to keep the car....have a look at the economics while you are in there!

Driver Matt
03-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks Ewan,
Do you know what fuse it is ?
From looking at the workshop manual it could be any of:
Main relay box No 33
Main relay box No 29
Dash fuse box No 5
Cheers
Matt

Driver Matt
05-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Tried removing fuse ( front bay 7.5 amp )
Light went off but came back approx 10 seconds later.

Car now booked in for replacement O2 sensor.
Cost £208.54 and 30 mins to fit.
Will let you know if light goes away.

nigel
07-09-2008, 01:46 AM
It's worth giving Tim at Ray Laks Acura in New York a ring and getting the parts from him, (faster and cheaper than Honda in the UK) plus VAT, rather than throwing pounds at it until the problem goes away or you run out of money. His price most probibly is substancially under $100 US, (that's 55 squids or so) If not Tim, Honda uses "NGK" sensors and they're damn sure less than the Honda price.
With a 22mm ring spanner and a small amount of penetrating liquid you can change it yourself and save the labour. Be certain to use "High Temp, (gold) Anti-Sieze" on the new one. The hardest problem is raising the car up far enough to get under to reach the sensor with the spanner.

Cheers
nigel

Driver Matt
11-09-2008, 03:52 PM
New probe now fitted by Honda Shepton Mallet.
Took 1 hour and cost £208.
Can now report yellow light firmly extinguished and car going like a train.
Fingers crossed that after investing in new tyres, brake pads and O2 sensor within last 2 weeks that car will now gives hours of happy motoring.
:)

Papalazarou
11-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Cool, glad it worked out for you. You say you had it done in Shepton Mallet, is that where you're based?

Cheers,

James.

Driver Matt
12-09-2008, 05:50 AM
I live in Bruton.
A heavenly part of the world.

Papalazarou
12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
I live in Bruton.

I have a couple of customers in Bruton and usually get up there once a month. I'm based in Minehead.

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Driven through Bruton a fair few times in the last couple of days.
Mainly in the S2000 but in the NSX on Sunday :)

I live in Bruton.

Ewan
27-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I finally got round to replacing my dodgy sensor myself today - not a bad effort for a mechanically inexperienced type :)

I was getting the MIL on, with OBD Code 0161 (diagnosed with a USB cable & ScanTool software, bought from Ebay for £10) - so indicating a "Front Secondary" or post-cat, front, as some would describe it. I bought a Denso unit from OxygenSensors.com (http://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1411142&application=M%2FT) for $103 when I was over in the US a couple of weeks ago (so £57 on conversion), then added another £9 to buy the Draper 22mm O2 Sensor Socket from a local auto parts store.

Took me about half an hour to get the car up on axle stands and unplug what I thought was the correct sensor - but checking the OBD codes proved I'd unplugged the wrong one. The RH sensor has a shorter cable and I figured the one I'd bought was quite short so it must be that one... glad I checked before replacing it :)

I squirted a v small amount of WD-40 onto the old sensor's nut and left it for an hour, then it came off very easily and after cleaning the thread and carefully applying the (supplied with new sensor) anti-seize compound onto its thread, the new one was in and job done.

The whole thing probably took 2 hours, but most of that was me buggering about making sure I was doing the right thing... in future, it'll be a 30 minute job max. I had called Honda Reading to ask them to fit the new sensor but they said they could only work with OEM parts, and would take £230 off me for supply and fit.

If anyone wants to borrow an O2 sensor socket in the future to do the same, just give me a shout :)

Ewan

Silver Surfer
27-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Good Job!!!!

I'll keep you an my 'handy person to fix the NSX' file. ;)

SS

TheSebringOne
28-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Great job Ewan and for a so called novice !