PDA

View Full Version : Hello - from an new member and owner

Ben
10-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey all,

Just thought I'd say hello to everyone.

I stumbled upon the forum today and joined - but Ive owned my Formula Red K reg manual, for ages.

I'm probably in the running for the highest milage NSX in the world with 135,000 miles :shock: on the clock and she still goes like a dream.

Prior to the NSX, I've owned a few turbo porsches, and a 355 Ferrari (I shall go wash my mouth out after using the F/P words)- BUT my little red Honda has become the 'favorite' of all the cars I've had. I figure my feelings will be shared by a few others here. 8)

I love that NSX's are so rare on the road. I've only crossed paths with a few others on the road in all my ownership. Unlike the Porsches or Ferraris I dont seem to encounter the green eyed bs that I used to endure on a daily basis - which is nice too.

Anyway - hope I'll run into a few other fellow NSXclubbers around the place or at an event soon.

Too you - and especially to the guys who look after this site, cheers one and all. Happy NSXing. :wink:

Ben

mcibuk
10-05-2005, 05:48 PM
welcome to the club Ben - good to see you getting loads of use out of your car - i'm really impressed with the mileage - any serious problems to overcome to get you that far :?:

Ben
10-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Well, this will probably be good news for everyone here.

After 135k miles, I can report the following list of problems/repairs I have had to make:

Battery - original lasted 10 years (which in itself must be a record)

Interior door handles... these go every couple of years - infact I currently have a non working drivers side door handle - this is very annoying.

Climate control unit slightly funky these days - in that I only get heat if i set the temp to max setting - apart from that all works - still havent been bothered to get this sorted out, as I just work around it by setting it to max for a few minutes

Radio has developed a little bit of a background buzz - once again - I know i can get this sorted, but it hasnt got annoying enough to be bothered yet.

That is it!

Not bad for the number of miles.

That said - I have replaced the timing belt twice - the second time at last service at a cost of £900 including service/belt/labour

I have to say, am starting to feel that the clutch is on its last legs - its got that juddery feeling when leaving the line, and the takeup is a little bit high on the pedal.

Apart from that - everything is still tight as a drum - I'm lucky in that I seem to have one of those NSXs that doesnt suffer from squeaks that seem to plague some cars.

No one can believe it when they go for a ride in the car, and to be honest, if the odometer didnt give the game away, it could easily pass for a 50k mile car the way it still drives.

BTW - I drive it like it should be driven, so no babied example, just well used, well maintained/serviced. Don't be suprised when i throw a party for it celebrating 200k miles in a couple of years ;)

BabyNSX
11-05-2005, 12:00 AM
theres a guy on nsxprime who has a NSX with 300k miles on it :shock:

mcibuk
11-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Didn't get an invite to his/her party though :lol:

MattS
11-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Hi Ben,

Very interesting read. You've obviously looked after it well. Where do you have the services etc done?

Matt

Ben
11-05-2005, 09:41 AM
All my servicing is done at Chiwick Honda, who I can say, seem to do a pretty good job, but they do know how to extract the £ from your pockets...

300k miles! holy s^&t! I guess in america they don't go round corners - and are still limited to 55mph in a lot of states ;)

Anyone done more than my 135k in the (UK) club??

NSA
11-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I read about a dealer recently who bought a 152k NSX with 100k wound off. He found out after completing but took it quite well.

The mileage people do outside of the UK is amazing. I saw lots of 200,000 mile plus Mercedes / BMW etc at a dealer in Spain over Christmas. My uncle's Merc E class had 440km on it!!!

trackdemon
11-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Ben, a well used car - well done! Fancy getting it out to play this weekend - I'm organizing a little run for some buddies in Essex, starting from Birchanger svcs (m11)

Ciaran
11-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi Ben,

I can't match your 135k, but I'm catching up with almost 120k, on a 95 T (was N69 NFT in a previous life), mind you everything is still working perfectly (crossing everything I can :shock: ) even the perfectly good exhaust which we carefully removed (with a disc grinder eventually...) last Saturday to instal a nice shiney Stainless Steel "Rice Rocket" from Dali..big sound :twisted: :twisted:

Looks great, (always hated the oval things)

Sounds illegal (if thats all I get arrested for...)

Keep the miles up and the fun getting there.

Ciaran.

14-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Welcome Ben.

The door handle thingys can be ordered from Daliracing.com They are made of real aluminium, not cast alu like the Honda ones.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1001

I just received mine in the post and will install them this weekend (drivers side broke at 43000 miles). They look sturdy enough.

Climate control: there are some links on NSXPrime.com about getting it fixed. Your problem sounds like the common one.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/tsb-92-007.gif

It may not be the climate control unit itself, only the “power transistor” thing screwed to the side of the fan, look under the bonnet, (your fan maybe one of the ones that burns out the power transistor). They are both easy to change. Download the manual and you can find the transistor thing.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991_svcman.htm

Radio: Just last week I read something on prime about the radio

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/94-011.htm

Click on the pages to enlarge them.

Hope this helps, peter

ctrlaltdelboy
21-05-2005, 12:16 PM
welcome Ben

mine is on 115k, although that's not terribly impressive on my part as it had 100k on when I bought it in 2002.

I blew the engine on 103k and put in a used one with 46k on it