PDA

View Full Version : Single post users/Non NSX related posts

BrownBear
09-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi,

It's been mentioned to me that we're suffering from a rash of single post users who join, post up a single thread (just to advertise something we may be interested in) and then bugger off again.. How do people feel about these?

Should we put up a 'thread rules' sticky that requires users to post NSX related threads?

For events, should we ask that they be 'filtered' through the Events Admins (we could do with some more Admins, volunteers?)

Threads not meeting this simple criteria would be deleted.. transferred etc

I'm not trying to be over-officious about this (if you've met me you know I don't really care for that type of thing), but one of the good things about the forum is that it's mainly relevant, NSX related and doesn't decend into MaxFlower type discussions... The guys who just join to sell us their DVD collections, or advertise non-NSX related meets on the General Discussion boards don't add anything to this, in my opinion....

If you all think it's harmless, I'll get back in my box, but if you have a view please let me know..

Cheers
Joe

DamianW
09-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Dunno really. A few recently have been for some Japanese car event or other. Can't say I object to them particularly (although there was one that started getting annoying).

I'm far more intrigued by the general lack of conversation on here. I've posted a few times here recently (including some on Technical which I ended up deleting), got loads of views and not a single response. Another example is Goodwood. Everyone was apparently up for this, now barely any responses when someone asks if people are actually going to turn up. If the complaint is signal-to-noise then it helps if you have some signal in the first place!

I wonder why this is?

BrownBear
09-05-2005, 02:55 PM
But you only posted (about Goodwood) on Friday.. which is 3 days. I don't think everyone checks the board every day, so don't lose heart - I'll add my date on there right now, just in case....
(check out the creation date on the Japfest thread if you'd like to know how frustrating organising things can be...).

I guess, the problem is the size of the group - we have ~200 members, I'd estimate maybe a quarter of them have NSX's (ICBW, probably less..).

Very few of us are active posters - most people lurk or join to see what we're up to (which is - not much). If people don't know the answers (iro your technical question), they won't post a reply - we're not trying to ignore anyone...

You're right, we're light on content (regular postings, new things to do, news etc etc) - but there's so few of us, which is why...

JMO, Cheers

DamianW
09-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Yep you're right. I guess I'm used to other forums/clubs etc. This place is different because of small number of genuine members.

If you're looking for moderators I'm happy to help btw.

DamianW
10-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Though it has to be said, people posting adverts for BMW M5s on an NSX forum really is taking the p*ss

BrownBear
10-05-2005, 08:08 AM
Thought that as well until the last line of the advert - he's after an NSX (sensible man )