PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Noise

mart155
21-08-2008, 12:10 PM
When I let the clutch out a little harshly, I get a screetching noise similar to the sound of a wheelspin!

Anyone else ever had this or know what it could be.

BTW, before anyone says it, no, it isn't the wheels spinning.:)

WhyOne?
21-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, if not the wheels spinning, then clutch slipping? ;)

Try pulling away on a steepish hill, if the clutch is slipping in some way, this will emphasise the problem.....do the rev's rise disproportionately to the car accelerating?

Senninha
21-08-2008, 12:51 PM
the old test would be to try pulling away in a high gear. If car stalled then clutch is prob ok, if revs rise but car doesn't move (or limited movement) clutch is slipping IIRC

Hope you're not up for a new clutch, but if you are, you are welcome to join the Dali GB which ends at the end of August

regards, Paul

BabyG
21-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I hear this. Not sure what it is, but I've had it looked at by Norton Way and no problem with wear on the clutch I'm told. It's very intermittent, sure it's just a mild vibration as the clutch engages.

NSXGB
21-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I have the same noise on mine, only on the occasional spirited take off.

Thought the same as yourself, either vibration or even the release bearing. 5 years later expecting the clutch to maybe give up at some point and it's never got any worse.

madras
22-10-2008, 01:54 PM
sounds like it could be a circlip come off in your gearbox. I had same thing recently, thought it was clutch slipping/gone but it wasn't

if there is a possibility it might be (common problem) then better to have it looked at sooner rather than later or you'll mash up the gears.

mutley
22-10-2008, 04:31 PM
The screeching noise you hear is probably from the take our bearing, they sometimes get a little bit noise.

I doubt it is the circlip fom the gear box ( known as the snap ring) if it was then you woul have problems geting into 1st gear, and in 2nd teh gear stick would wiggle around as you accelerate.

Trust me I have done enough work in my clutch and gearbox !!!!!!!

HTH
Jim

madras
23-10-2008, 10:35 AM
The screeching noise you hear is probably from the take our bearing, they sometimes get a little bit noise.

I doubt it is the circlip fom the gear box ( known as the snap ring) if it was then you woul have problems geting into 1st gear, and in 2nd teh gear stick would wiggle around as you accelerate.

Trust me I have done enough work in my clutch and gearbox !!!!!!!

HTH
Jim

yep agree with that, exactly what happened to mine, but was making strange noises for a while before and gearbox was fine for a while