PDA

View Full Version : '90s NSX wanted

woodbridger
20-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Recently joined and am looking for a '90s NSX.

Open minded on colour, Targa, etc. An early 3.2 would be great. Probably not interested in an auto (unless it's a real giveaway price!). Should be well documented, well maintained and ideally known to the forum.

Have nothing to PX. Cash currently burning a hole in my pocket. Don't make me buy a Boxster! :)

TheSebringOne
20-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I hope you find that car and its not a Boxster! Good car but why follow the badge crowd & they are common! How much is your budget? 20K? If so, your choice could be to limited to autos or high mileage 3.0 manuals, as for a 3.2, then you pushing towards mid 20s, unless its very high mileage/ unloved car ? HTH :)

PeteM
21-08-2008, 07:17 AM
I personally think that now is a good time to buy a NSX.

With £20K to spend you should find a good example, unfortunately you have just missed the 2 bargins of the year !

This one a 3.2 http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4947

and this a early 3.0 http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=4892

One will turn up it might just take a bit of time but it will be well worth the wait.

Meanwhile take the time to search the forum and get some background information on Nsx ownership.

Happy hunting, hope you find one soon and STEP AWAY FROM THE BOXSTER !

Regards Pete.

woodbridger
21-08-2008, 08:01 AM
OK, OK - the Boxster was just the easy back-up choice! ;) And I've lusted after an NSX for ages. Only thing that'd stop me now is the credit crunch suddenly making a Stratos affordable.

It was stopping by the forum last weekend and seeing that 3.2 at £18,000 that made me decide to buy now/soon.

£20k is what I want to spend. Although I'm prepared to go up or down a bit. With all the work that Graham's done on his £15.5k silver car, I'd have some 'contingency' fund to deal with any unforeseen high mileage related issues. Or I could spend a bit more on something very special.

From reading other guy's buying stories here, it seems that the decision really does come down to the individual car and its history.

Side Q: what's the etiquette on asking in the forum for opinions on other member's for-sale cars? A bit rude? Don't want to start anything that could turn unpleasant.

Senninha
21-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Its not being actively advertised, but I do know of a '93 Red/Black manual coupe with around 77k miles. Owned for last 7yrs by a member here. Had cambelt service at Nortons last year.

Let me know if this is of interest, happy to steer you in the right direction which is not to far from you geographically.

regards, Paul

simonprelude
21-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Your best bet would be to invite other people to PM you any comments about a particular car you were looking at if you had any doubts.

However we are a pretty friendly bunch and generally a spade is a spade around here. Anyone that gets upset about anything re their car, then it's a hard life but we try and be an honest group. After all......... if there's any issues with any cars it's usually on here anyway. Besides where else are you going to turn to get any issues sorted out ;)

Your best bet is to decide on what you actually want from the car.
How much you are prepared to spend etc.

A few cars that have sold recently for 'personal' reasons hopefully will not affect the market as I can't see many more cars going for bargain prices.
If you are prepared to wait I think there has been around 4 bargains over the last 3 years.............. but then, you take your chances.
It's difficult at the moment, but generally if a car is taking a long time to sell, there's a reason. IE Auto's that have been for sale for around 2 years without a price drop, or a certain Red import not that far from me.

Side Q: what's the etiquette on asking in the forum for opinions on other member's for-sale cars? A bit rude? Don't want to start anything that could turn unpleasant.

PeteM
21-08-2008, 08:45 AM
OK, OK - the Boxster was just the easy back-up choice! ;) And I've lusted after an NSX for ages. Only thing that'd stop me now is the credit crunch suddenly making a Stratos affordable.

One of my personal top three dream cars, it would have to be in the Alitalia colours !

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/petem_2006/DSCN0313_small1.jpg

woodbridger
21-08-2008, 01:49 PM
More great advice, especially from Simon:

> Your best bet is to decide on what you actually want from the car.

Having now read the dyno thread and some of the MPH/BHP-chasing threads, I can say for certain that I'm NOT after the last 0.1s in a track lap, or 165mph on an autobahn. So a car with perf/weight mods wouldn't be worth any more to me at all. A standard manual NSX is probably all I want, and maybe a 3.0 is perfectly OK (esp after looking at the dyno thread).

For me, the NSX will be 95% about weekend + Summer fun for me. And maybe 5% for track days (I did a PR day at Brands years ago and would like to have some quality time in the NSX with an instructor). And it would have to live on the drive for a few months, so a showroom-tweaked beauty is not required, either.

My scrawled notes tell me there are 10 manual coupe/targas for sale for £20k +/- £5k or so. I suppose, there's no point rushing a decision that's taken me 10 years to reach, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that some other bloke'll just happen along and snap up the car I want if I don't get my finger out. Am away for Bank Hol week, so there's plenty of time to brood... ;)

TheSebringOne
21-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I hope you get the right car at the right price, be picky, patient & ask many questions here as we are a helpful club! :)

As for Stratos, one of the greats & fave, but thought good ones are in the 40 to 70K range? Plus maintenance must be in the Fezza range, ie Fezza engine & Italian body work!

Funny the door handles & pop up head lights are the same as my little humble X1/9! :D

woodbridger
22-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Just a quick update to say that I'm away for a week from today, so I won't be able to answer any incoming PMs until 31st Aug.

Enjoy your own holidays! I'll keep an eye open for NSXs around the Lakes. If you see a gibbering idiot waving at you from a Ford Fusion (wow - that's living!), that'll be me. :)

woodbridger
01-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Just a quick note to let you guys know that due to ill-health I've got to delay the decision on buying an NSX for a while. Will lurk from time to time and rejoin the forum when I'm able to proceed.

nsxchd1
11-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi, sorry to hear you're unwell. Just in case you were interested, I have a red 1997 NSX with 64,000 miles (manual) that I'm currently selling for £20,500. Get in touch in the future if you're interested as I'm not in a rush to sell it. Chris.

Silver Surfer
11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi, sorry to hear you're unwell. Just in case you were interested, I have a red 1997 NSX with 64,000 miles (manual) that I'm currently selling for £20,500. Get in touch in the future if you're interested as I'm not in a rush to sell it. Chris.

Welcome,

Any pics?
Is it a 3.0 or a 3.2

SS

nsxchd1
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi, here's some photos. It's a 3.0 litre.

TheSebringOne
11-10-2008, 06:00 PM
This must be one of the last 3.0 on a R reg? Was this car brought from John Cooper's garage, when it was in Ferring ( near Brighton )? Since I tested a late 3.0 in red and the reg plate was the same or very similar?

Lankstarr
11-10-2008, 08:11 PM
You tested a red but ended up buying a silver!?!?!?!?!

Are you seeing a psychiatrist?

Normally I'd say that a 3.2 is faster and the better choice... but everyone knows red cars are faster, enough so to negate the 3.2/3.0 differences!

L*

TheSebringOne
11-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Luke, maybe I'm a secret red lover!? :D

Honestly, its the one they used for test drive, very nice looking car with non oem alloys, but I wanted a 3.2! I love red cars :eek: ( shock horror ), but prefer silver and it was the right car at the right time & the rest price! :)

Lankstarr
12-10-2008, 07:43 AM
James,

I prefer targas but have never seen a red 3.2 Targa (pop up style) for sale. Even if I did it would have to be a good price to warrant a change from mine and all of the hassle that would go with it.

Also, if I did go down the Targa route I'd have to do some serious mods to tune it up to be as fast as my coupe.

L*

TheSebringOne
12-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Luke, a red, pop up, Targa & in manual would be very rare pal. I suppose a Targa is an advantage in case you've gelled your hair up & went for a drive! :D Seriously did you source those lower seat cushion things to give some more head room?

My favourite model would a black or Silverstone 02+ fixed coupe & 6 speed manual! Pauls (NSX2000) is yummy! :thumbsup:

nsxchd1
13-10-2008, 09:08 AM
No I bought mine from a dealer in Surrey about 2 years ago now. Could have been the same car if you tested it before that though.

simonprelude
13-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I prefer targas but have never seen a red 3.2 Targa (pop up style) for sale. Even if I did it would have to be a good price to warrant a change from mine and all of the hassle that would go with it.

I know of 2 pop ups and 1 facelift :)

Lankstarr
13-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm waiting on my seat cushion from Dali - no word on the group buy though:(

I know of Ewan's facelift and Low Flyer's pop up but am not aware of the other pop up... tell me more:D

L*

TheSebringOne
14-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Nsxchd1, the car I tested was over 4 & half years ago and it had nice non oem BBS cross spoked alloys.