PDA

View Full Version : 91 NSX new Stereo

Milkybar
19-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi guys,

I've got a 1991 UK spec (right hand drive) NSX in which the OEM Bose sound system has completely packed up. All I get is a continuos high pitched squeal... http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

I have decided to do away with the OEM stereo and replace it with a new single DIN head unit, new speakers and a new amp.

My question is, does anyone know if I can buy a new fascia which will allow a new head unit to slot straight in keeping the section for the heater controls rather than butchering my existing fascia?

Also are there any problems removing the old stereo? Is it attached to the heater controls etc?

Any useful tips and help you can provide will be greatly appreciated http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thomas

Hagasan
19-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi, there are panels made for aftermarket stereos but I think most are for LHD.. Have a look on NSXPRIME.com There are some inspiring/amazing and no-doubt expensive upgrades being done.... The heater and stereo are separate units...

Lankstarr
19-08-2008, 01:13 PM
If you jump in on the group buy (DALI) you can get a OEM look or carbon fibre front blanking panel which retains heater controls and blanks off the stereo.

You need to get one of these then cut out a hole to house your stereo (or your audio shop will cut it for you). Get someone good as you'll be pi55ed if they scratch it whilst cutting.

Kevin has a thread detailling teh complete removal and replacement of his OEM stereo which you may wish to read.

All the wiring is optical cable so you may want to replace it all.

There is a centre speaker in between the seats... do you want to stick something in its place?

There is a sub in teh passenger footwell - if you can find a replacement that works well then let us all know. There are custom made boxes on Prime but they are all for LHD. I'm thinking of making one for my car to fit a new 10/12 inch sub in the passenger footwell. If you can find something that would save me this hassle then please let me know!

Cheers,

L*

Silver Surfer
19-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi guys,

I've got a 1991 UK spec (right hand drive) NSX in which the OEM Bose sound system has completely packed up. All I get is a continuos high pitched squeal... http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Thomas

You do know that changing the capacitors on your speakers amps may be all you need to fix it. This can be done very easily if you have a soldering iron and will cost you a couple of quids.

SS

Nytram
19-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi SS
I have removed my speaker from passenger door as it was making this squeal. Where can I find replacement capacitors , do you have any photos to help with this repair?

Thanks

PeteM
19-08-2008, 08:24 PM
This is what you need, step by step guide from our American friends

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/bose_rr.htm

Maplin stock the capacitors you need or you could try other online electronic suppliers.

Hope that helps

Regards Pete.

Auto Spirit
20-08-2008, 10:07 AM
A general question about the BOSE system - are the 2 door speakers identical? Reason I ask is that a friend of mine in the US is coming over soon and can bring a replacement pair of Acura NSX speakers for me (I have the same high pitch squeal problem).

Cheers

Nytram
20-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Many thanks Pete I will let you know how I get on when i eventually get round to it.

Sudesh
20-08-2008, 08:08 PM
A general question about the BOSE system - are the 2 door speakers identical? Reason I ask is that a friend of mine in the US is coming over soon and can bring a replacement pair of Acura NSX speakers for me (I have the same high pitch squeal problem).

Cheers

The speakers are the same, HOWEVER! they come in a plastic container that attaches to the door because there is seperate amps, wiring and socket inside. So with the speakers like this, it means the left speaker has to go on the left door and right on the right door. Only way around that is opening the container and swapping the innerds around.

Sudesh
20-08-2008, 08:10 PM
To show you what I mean, here is a pic.

You will see the left speaker and right, the thing in the middle is the bass that sits under the carper in the passanger foot well.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/images/Acuransxbose.jpg

Auto Spirit
20-08-2008, 08:25 PM
thanks alot sudesh - v helpful :)

Nytram
10-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Sorry to be a pain but I appear to be stuck, I have got the amp/circuit board thing in front of me but how do I tell which Capacitor/s need changing?
Can anyone help
Many Thanks

Silver Surfer
11-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Try this thread Nytram:

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=3962

Kevin #7 descibes the one to change.

SS

Lankstarr
15-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Dear god look at that tiny bass speaker! I'm amazed any bass comes out of it!

Button
22-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi, I've a similar problem - my drivers door speaker has just stopped working - no squeeling or anything - so have I the same problem?.

I was just about to send the amp of to nsxe-repair in the US however the post here indicates that I 'only' need to replace a few caps.

Kevins post indicates replacing c7 and c8 may solve the fault.

With new caps from say Maplin is it really an easy job with a decent soldering iron? Willing to have a go but dont want to ruin the amp. Any other help / guidance much appreciated.

many thanks

Silver Surfer
22-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Minor soldering is all that is needed...not much skill required as long as you are careful and not burn yourself. ;)

SS

Nytram
23-09-2008, 07:57 AM
In my case I have taken the amp down to Maplins, and was told they have recently discontinued alot of there range, the assistant told me that if the caps look ok they usually are. The part that appears to have blown on mine is one of the 4 transistors, which are not available anymore.
So i contacted Bose UK who redirected me to Germany who told me to contact Proservice Utronic KG who have the complete amp availabe priced at 99 euros +Vat and carriage, I am just trying to send the money once they have it they should me the amp, fingers crossed.

forumadmin
23-09-2008, 03:34 PM
The transistors may be discontinued, but the replacements are not. You can get equivalents from RS.

The transistors blow after a capacitor or two has gone. Don't be fooled by the Maplin monkeys.

Nytram
23-09-2008, 06:43 PM
OK thanks, does anyone know the RS codes for the parts I need, as I am still not sure which caps have gone/blown, or is it best to replace them all?