PDA

View Full Version : HELP Air Con Has Stopped Working

BlueNSX
11-08-2008, 08:31 AM
My aircon is not working, there is no "Fan" The display indicates temp etc. but nothing seems to come out of the vents.

Has anybody experienced this before if so what was the solution ? Is it electric ? How do I tell if the air con needs to be recharged ?

New belts were fitted approx 3 months ago ? How do I tell if its the AC compressor ?

Can you recommend where to take it to be repaired / serviced (London)

Many Thanks

simonprelude
11-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Sounds electrical to me.
Have you run the diagnosis checks at all, would be first step.

BlueNSX
11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Sounds electrical to me.
Have you run the diagnosis checks at all, would be first step.

Thanks Simon, How do I run the Diagnostics ? does that have to be done by Honda ??

simonprelude
11-08-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf

Climate control section.

BlueNSX
11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf

Climate control section.

Thanks I think - Its Complex :no:

Lankstarr
11-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Look into the dirver's side of the engine bay... straight down you'll see three pulleys.

The one on the right is the a/c pulley... does it still have a belt on it?

Try rotating the pulley to see if it's seized.

Luke

simonprelude
11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
No fan to me would sound like an electrical problem, well that is if you are meaning there is no air coming out at all ??

markc
11-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Sounds like the A/C controller (the dash mounted unit) could be FUBAR. It's a well know issue where the capacitors on the circuit board breakdown, physically leak, and the unit stops working. The same fate awaits the stereo amps.

Mine did this a few months ago. The symptom was similar to yours ie apparently no fan, but when wound to the max position it would kick in and work.

The cure is to replace all the capictors on the circuit board. Some of us have done this for ourselves. It's a cheap (<£5 for the parts from Maplin or similar) and simple job for anyone who worked with electronics before but I wouldn't attempt it unless you've experienced with a soldering iron as a heavy hand you could ruin the circuit board. Mine works perfectly now :)

There's a discussion on this thread... http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=2417&highlight=capacitors&page=3

There's a guy in the US (BrianK?) who will re-furb your A/C controller, on exchange, for you at a very reasonable cost.

If you're not in a tearing hurry and won't hold me to a contract I'm happy do yours for you :)

Mark

BlueNSX
11-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Sounds like the A/C controller (the dash mounted unit) could be FUBAR. It's a well know issue where the capacitors on the circuit board breakdown, physically leak, and the unit stops working. The same fate awaits the stereo amps.

Mine did this a few months ago. The symptom was similar to yours ie apparently no fan, but when wound to the max position it would kick in and work.

The cure is to replace all the capictors on the circuit board. Some of us have done this for ourselves. It's a cheap (<£5 for the parts from Maplin or similar) and simple job for anyone who worked with electronics before but I wouldn't attempt it unless you've experienced with a soldering iron as a heavy hand you could ruin the circuit board. Mine works perfectly now :)

There's a discussion on this thread... http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=2417&highlight=capacitors&page=3

There's a guy in the US (BrianK?) who will re-furb your A/C controller, on exchange, for you at a very reasonable cost.

If you're not in a tearing hurry and won't hold me to a contract I'm happy do yours for you :)

Mark

Thanks

Mark

dan the man
11-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Stick the head out the window ya bloody KIWI!

TheSebringOne
11-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Well done Mark & what a great offer to a fellow NSXer! :)

AR
11-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Sorry to hear that mate.

Cheers,

AR

BlueNSX
21-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Many thanks Mark C,

I cant thank you enough for your time and patience in fixing this, the A/C even works better than when I bought it!!!

One thing about this club that still astounds me is the "Actual Help people are willing to give". Not just empty promises and hot air.

I hope we can have a few more formally organised events and perhaps look to take the club to the next level. But as Kevin has said this takes time and responsibility and commitment.

Great spending time with like minded people.

Once Again Thanks Mark C.