PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Movement

nationofzeros
10-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi all

Scraped through my MOT last week albeit with a note about excess movement from the RHS rear wheel - traced to a worn knuckle lower ball joint (the ball joint locating the bottom of the hub assembly to the lower wishbone) , which has now also started to make fetching clonking noises

Knowing the sensitivity of the NSX to rear suspension settings, not an issue to trifle with, I fear

Predicatably Honda UK could only quote for the complete knuckle assembly at circa £700 - no thanks!

Does anyone know any details about this ball joint itself, e.g. OEM manufacturer or equivalent ?? The car is a 1994 JDM NSX-R - I can hardly believe this is anything but the stock NA1 part however

Heres hoping ...

Sudesh
10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
The car is a 1994 JDM NSX-R

Hi and sorry a bit off topic but, what NSX-R is yours? Have you any pics?

Silver Surfer
10-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Arys to Bazza to nationofzeros.

Summary: In Bazza's hand
Year: 1994
Colour: Dark Green
Mileage: Was 46k miles
Interior: Alcantera with black Carbon Kevlar Recaro seats
Speedo calibrated to MPH, de-restricted
Imported: 1998

Parts fitted:
Mugen LSD
Mugen Final Drive
Mugen Exhaust headers
GruppeM style custom exhaust system

SS :)

Yokohama_91
12-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi

According to my JDM Honda parts book the type R has a different part number for the hub assembly and it depends on the chassis number;

RHS Rear Hub Assembly
for Type R, NA1-100/110/120 = # 51210-SLO-901
for Type R, NA1-130/140/150 + NA2-100/110 = # 51210-SLO-902

Just check the chassis number to match the number series above.

I have no idea how interchangable these parts are however if you want to use an alternative.

The JDM parts book is dated 2000 and lists the price of this part as 34,900 Yen or around 166 UK pounds.

Honda parts prices have not increased by that much [inflation is very low in Japan] so I guess you could budget for around 42,000 Yen in Japan [200 UK pounds]. Not bad for the genuine Type R part and piece of mind.

Cheers

Simon

Sudesh
12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi

According to my JDM Honda parts book the type R has a different part number for the hub assembly and it depends on the chassis number;

RHS Rear Hub Assembly
for Type R, NA1-100/110/120 = # 51210-SLO-901
for Type R, NA1-130/140/150 + NA2-100/110 = # 51210-SLO-902

Just check the chassis number to match the number series above.

I have no idea how interchangable these parts are however if you want to use an alternative.

The JDM parts book is dated 2000 and lists the price of this part as 34,900 Yen or around 166 UK pounds.

Honda parts prices have not increased by that much [inflation is very low in Japan] so I guess you could budget for around 42,000 Yen in Japan [200 UK pounds]. Not bad for the genuine Type R part and piece of mind.

Cheers

Simon

Where did you get the JDM parts book? I'm looking for an NSX-R part and wonder if you can help me with a code?

Yokohama_91
13-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Sudesh

I received it as a birthday present this year, it's dated 2000, part number 11SLO1J1, it has 713 pages and lists every JDM NSX part and it's price in Yen. Unbelievably some prices have not changed, others have increased by around 10%.

If you need a JDM NSX part number for all NA1 and NA2-100 and 110 let me know

Cheers

Simon

nationofzeros
14-08-2008, 07:57 PM
OK many thanks all - much appreciated

Simon / yokohama 91, extremely useful info - could you recommend a supplier in Japan with some command of English who could source / ship part to UK ? Price is indeed very reasonable - just the lower knuckle ball joint or the entire knuckle assembly ?

Seperately I travel to Japan semi-frequently - love it ! Last trip took in Fukuoka for first time, very different to the scene in Tokyo (where one of my regular visits takes me to Bridgestone R&D centre in Kurioso)

Thanks

Chris

nationofzeros
14-08-2008, 08:04 PM
The number of the beast... so this IDs it as needing a #51210-SLO-901 !!

Yokohama_91
15-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Hi Chris

That Type R plate looks good :-)

Type R parts are hard to get in Japan unless you have a Type R and supply all sorts of information about the car - they make it really difficult.

However I get mine through a specalist NSX shop called KSP Engineering, but they speak no English! Currently they are on holiday [Obon], but I will ask when they get back next week.

Next trip to Japan give me a heads up, we might be able to meet up

Cheers

Simon

nationofzeros
15-08-2008, 07:15 PM
OK thanks Simon, really appreciate your help. The -R has all its original Japanese documentation going back to the Honda build order, so authentification should be no issue

Surprising that the assembly is different to a standard NA1 NSX given the exotic nature of the part !

Chris

bazza
18-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Chris

That Type R plate looks good :-)

Type R parts are hard to get in Japan unless you have a Type R and supply all sorts of information about the car - they make it really difficult.

However I get mine through a specalist NSX shop called KSP Engineering, but they speak no English! Currently they are on holiday [Obon], but I will ask when they get back next week.

Next trip to Japan give me a heads up, we might be able to meet up

Cheers

Simon

Got put this way by Chris - spot on Simon. R and S parts sourcing has become a lot more difficult in recent months.

Honda Japan are now checking to see what parts are being ordered using chassis numbers now - try ordering 2 NSX-R engine covers under the same chassis number:(

I have passed on a quote to Chris for the part number 51210-SLO-901.

Yokohama_91
21-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Got put this way by Chris - spot on Simon. R and S parts sourcing has become a lot more difficult in recent months.

Honda Japan are now checking to see what parts are being ordered using chassis numbers now - try ordering 2 NSX-R engine covers under the same chassis number:(

I have passed on a quote to Chris for the part number 51210-SLO-901.

Cheers Bazza

Thanks for helping out - I have just fitted new NA1 Type R tailights - with the black 'H' could only order these through KSP - not easy!!

We will miss you this weekend at Suzuka, Tomiyoshi-san came around the house on the weekend with his photos, he had a great time at the NSX meets at Ringfest and Le Mans.

Simon

dan the man
21-08-2008, 06:29 AM
IS Tomiyoshi Hirofumi i take it?

Im confused which is his 1st name? :)