PDA

View Full Version : Classic event(s)

Senninha
31-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Taking this thread completely off the original topic, I was at the "Silverstone Classic" last weekend and it was great to see lots of extremely valuable, some considered priceless, cars being used just as their makers intended and in many cases raced in as much anger as they did when brand new :)

What about this for a parc ferme (1st pic) and yes the dork next to the Porsche 962 is me :)

Cheers

Mark
Attached Thumbnailshttp://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4204&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1217356776 (http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4204&d=1217356776) http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4205&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1217356776 (http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4205&d=1217356776)

Mark,

Are there regular events of this nature throughout the year?

Reading your comments about no Honda or Honda club membership, it got me to thinking whether this type of event could be a good basis for a club meet?

I recall my first event being the Silverstone sportscar event that was well attended and enjoyed by petrol heads AND partners alike. Theres certainly more to do than say at Japfest.

Next year is the 20th anniversary for the NSX so maybe we could celebrate its birthday at this type of event?

Thoughts anyone?

regards, Paul

markc
31-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Paul, good question and good suggestion.

There are a few events of this type, The Silverstone Classic (late July), and the Goodwood Revival (early Sept) are the two biggys.

Silverstone Classic is primarily a race meeting for "Historic" race cars mainly pre 1966 but also grids of 1980's F1 and Group C cars. They also had a rally stage for historic rally cars to do their thing... http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/

Goodwood Revival is similar except that the cut off is earlier. Nothing beyond the 1969 and it throws some motorcycle racing into the mix... http://www.goodwood.co.uk/site/content/revival/The-Action_The-Races.aspx

Both event are weekend affairs so you'd be able to attend on either or both days.

Obviously the Honda F1 cars from the early 60's would be eligable for both events but beyond that there's no representative 4 wheeled machinery. Quite a differant story for the bikes.

Both events have significant amounts of off track stuff going on meaning that you don't have to go just for the racing. I hardly watched any, prefering to wander round the paddock, car club areas and trade stands. Goodwood goes a bit overboard on the olde worlde aspect, period dress is encouraged for example.

Silverstone has a very large car club involvement. Qualifying clubs ie ones that pay, get allocated infield parking areas near the paddock and amongst the trade stands in the heart of the action. Porsche (PCGB) and Ferrari (FOC) have the biggest areas.

I think an NSX club presence at the Silverstone Classic could work well BUT I don't think it will be cheap!

Here's some pics of the various car club areas...

Alfas (my Dad's is the dark blue one) with Cobras in the background
Alfas with Astons and Healeys in the background
Maseratis
Porsches (Ducktails all in a row :) )
Lancias (the Integrale had a lovely blue alcantara interior)

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
31-07-2008, 09:18 PM
I've done the revival a few of times and been fortunate to meet some truly wonderful people over the years including Barry Sheene the last time he raced.

Silverstone sounds interesting.

regards, Paul

mutley
31-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Well it's a funny old thing, but last year a few of us attended the Callander Classic Car Show in Scotland,as we thought about a mini meet and ths killed 2 birds with the one sone, and although there were a lot of "old" cars, we has 5 NSX and this did attract a crowd. There were even several comments from people saying how rare the NSX was and how nice it was to see them there.

nice to feel special

Jim

sassthathoopie
08-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I've wanted to attend a classic event for a while. Goodwood may be on the cards.

Nytram
19-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Mark
I took my NSX down to Silverstone for the classic, and thought I might see some more, but I think ours was the only one there unless anyone knows different. We really enjoyed the day and would love to attend with you all next year.
Hope it can be organised.

Martyn

nationofzeros
19-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree - the Silverstone Classic (annual event ; end July) was bigger & better than ever this year, and surely the NSXs now deserve their place in the sun alongside the massed ranks of Ferraris, Lotuses, Alfas, Maseratis, plus of course every classic racing machine you ever heard of - 3 days of pure petrolhead heaven

I have sen lonely & isolated NSXs kicking about there before, looking somewhat lost amongst the tsunami of rare Italian rosso

Clubs get cheaper entry (or at least the one I'm in does) plus centre parking passes etc - surely worth checking out for 2009?

Nytram
20-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Who's up for organising this special weekend next summer I am sure it would be a success.

mutley
24-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Who's up for organising this special weekend next summer I am sure it would be a success.

I'm loving all these ideas and that we are now accepted in the classic car scene. Since the 2 very successful meets at Japfest, I think it would be great if we attended a few other big meets, although as we are all pretty busy people and it's difficult to get everyone in one place at one time (as I write this post I am sitting at an airfield in Newfoundland, Canada, babysitting an RAF Hercules aircraft).

The comments we received at the calander classic car meet in Scotland where 5 of us got together in 2007 proved to me that the NSX certainly has made it into the classics.

Having just said all that, next summer I can't make it, but would be happy to help with other meets throughout the year.

Jim

nationofzeros
24-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi all

Not sure if I can take on organising one either but I have just written to the 09 Silverstone Classic (last w/e in July) organisers to get details etc regarding a potential NSX club display - lets see how it looks. Surely the 20th anniversary should warrant some special treatment & perhaps even some display laps or whatever ??

Chris

Kevin
24-08-2008, 05:53 PM
We do need to have a annual meeting, and most people know I'm not too keen on the Chavfest kind of meetings.

The Silverstone event sounds best to me, as the Goodwood one is limited to 1966 (or 69), so this kind of rules us out.

I'm grateful to anyone willing to take on the organising. It's not that hard to do really. If the club space needs to be paid for, then there are some funds left over from paying Internet bills, and we can always sell tickets to cover costs.

Senninha
24-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm certainly liking the sound of Silverstone. I was going to contact them for info but as Chris has pipped me to the post I'll await the response he gets.

If we can get a pitch / entrance etc, I'm happy to help as required. In particular I can contact Honda to see if they will support for the 20th anniversary.

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
25-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I think it is an excellent idea to commemorate the NSX's 20th birthday, and much as I love what Lord March has done with Goodwood & the quality of the events he runs, I feel Silverstone is a more appropriate place to hold the get-together.

Happy to help anyway I can......just ask!

Nytram
25-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Oh yes , Brill, it sounds like its on then.
I am a new and proud NSX owner and would love to contribute if it helps.
Best regards
Martyn

DamianW
25-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Silverstone Classic is a great event, I try and go most years. I think I prefer it to Goodwood to be honest - you can still get close to the cars, then see them in real action, not just goofing about up a hill. Not that I dislike Goodwood, but for me, as a confirmed antisocial type, there's too many people now.

Hope to see you there next year, that would be great. Please can I have a drive? ;)

Papalazarou
25-08-2008, 05:43 PM
There's a classic car show near Taunton on the 7th of September. It's free and you get a lot of interesting stuff there. Anything from Alfasuds to Ferrari F40's.
I think some of us from the club are going to attend. I'll open up another thread.

Here are the details if anyone's interested....

http://www.thornfalconcarsales.co.uk/events.htm

Cheers,

James.

JQD84983
25-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I think Silverstone sounds the best. The NSX feels too modern for the Goodwood trip.

Also for us Flat Cap wearers its a bit closer!

Count me in! Date permitting!

nationofzeros
04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Copy of request to Silverstone / Motion-Works ; hopefully factually correct !!

'Dear Neil / Jeremy

I am writing on behalf of the NSX CLUB UK who represent owners of this rare and charismatic Japanese junior mid-engined supercar, to see if it would be possible for he club to participate in the Silverstone Classic 2009

I am also a member of the Ferrari Owners Club and regularly participate in the club display. Given the NSX's provenence and history (20th anniversary in 2009, fine racing pedigree at Le Mans etc) I feel it would make a great addition to the displays and the club could easily muster over 20 pristine examples including rare NSX-R variants and so on

Please could you let me know what steps we would need to make to participate

Best regards

Chris Elliot'

So get polishing !

Chris

Nytram
04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks Chris

Hopefully you can include me on your list.
If you need any help please don't hesitate.

Regards Martyn

nationofzeros
13-09-2008, 08:42 PM
At last a response - sounds promising, as follows :-

Hello Chris

Many thanks for the e-mail & interest in the 2009 Silverstone Classic July 24,25,26.

We’d like to see your club here, in fact we had 20+ NSX owners at an event here in 2006.

Please forward your postal address and I will sent the event details when available (approx December 2008).

Kind regards
Jeremy

So watch this space & get the 2009 holiday planner blocked out for the dates in question - and pray for sunshine....

Senninha
13-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Chris,

Can you pm me the contact details unless you wish to organise this event?

I'm pretty sure this will be one of the main events for us in 2009 so want to crack on with getting bookings & details in place

Thanx for getting this one going

regards, Paul