PDA

View Full Version : Imola Orange NSX at Motorshow, Honda Dreams

simonprelude
29-07-2008, 07:08 AM
So who's NSX are they using........... ??

NSX 2000
29-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Simon,
Was the Honda show worth the extra money?
Paul.

Senninha
29-07-2008, 08:42 AM
We thought it was worth it just to see ASIMO!

The IOP is a Targa too :) so is it a Honda owned car? Car looked straight apart from kerbed alloys, hence my Honda ref.

Russ Swift and his team were good as was the S2k car control in the simulated race they did early on.

Most eye catching car of the day for us was the Matt Black Brabus C-class complete with its V12 powerplant :eek:

regards, Paul

Kevin
29-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't get it. Hardly any promotion for the NSX when they made it, and now they don't it's at the Motorshow.

Senninha
29-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't get it. Hardly any promotion for the NSX when they made it, and now they don't it's at the Motorshow.

It would appear strange until you realise that is was there on 2 fronts, one as part of the Honda history within the Dreamscape show, and secondly as part of the Heritage display for all marques. It was not represented at all on the Honda new car display.

I bumped into the marketing guy that was at Gaydon last year. highest interest levels were for the Accord Tourer and CRV models. The sports study wasn't getting a great reaction although appeared to dislike it (?). The smaller eco model is planned for production and will look 'similar' to the show car.

regards, Paul

simonprelude
29-07-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know, not been yet, someone else's photo's.
Don't think I'm going to make it actually, very little new compared to what was already on show at goodwood.

Simon,
Was the Honda show worth the extra money?
Paul.

NoelWatson
29-07-2008, 02:55 PM
The Honda stand in the main hall was was one of the most boring IMO. Nothing whatsover of interest. Contrast that with other mainstream brands (Renault, Ford, Nissan, Lexus etc), and the future looks bleak.

simonprelude
29-07-2008, 03:36 PM
The CRZ and the S2000 replacement concept looked quite good on the pictures I have seen.

Senninha
30-07-2008, 08:18 AM
The Honda stand in the main hall was was one of the most boring IMO. Nothing whatsover of interest. Contrast that with other mainstream brands (Renault, Ford, Nissan, Lexus etc), and the future looks bleak.

Its always interesting how two people can have different views, but then thats what makes life interesting.

Renault had an F1 chassis and some gull-wing Lugana style coupe, not to mention an embarassed sales chap when bits of the 197 came off in my hand just as I was asking about build quality and reliability!

Ford has the RS and the new Fiesta

Nissan the GT-R ... my better half looked at and said two things ... the paint finish is rubbish and it looks like a schoolboy designed it. For me it just lacks appeal fullstop.

Honda in contrast was split over two floors, had 2 concept/design studies plus the FCX eco car, an F1 chassis and a great interactive fully staffed area for kids so M&D could have a good look at the cars. Just a shame that most of the people on the stand we're agency and not Honda staff.

I'm sure others will agree/disagree with both of us :)

regards, Paul

WhyOne?
30-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Its always interesting how two people can have different views, but then thats what makes life interesting.

Renault had an F1 chassis and some gull-wing Lugana style coupe, not to mention an embarassed sales chap when bits of the 197 came off in my hand just as I was asking about build quality and reliability!

Nissan the GT-R ... my better half looked at and said two things ... the paint finish is rubbish and it looks like a schoolboy designed it. For me it just lacks appeal fullstop.

Honda in contrast was split over two floors, had 2 concept/design studies plus the FDX eco car, an F1 chassis and a great interactive fully staffed area for kids so M&D could have a good look at the cars. Just a shame that most of the people on the stand we're agency and not Honda staff.

regards, Paul

Interesting Paul!

You mention something which has frustrated/annoyed me for years and years at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - the use of agency staff on Honda stands.

Why do they do this????

I have both spoken to people on the stand & stood and eves-dropped on conversations & really, these people do not have the foggiest idea about the brand or the vehicles they are suposedly representing.

I imagine there is a significant cost in putting together a stand at these shows, so why oh why then staff it with muppets who have no interest beyond ticking boxes on a form and extracting contact details from potential customers?

(Quite why I should care so much about what Honda do to promote themselves is something of a mystery even to me!)

NoelWatson
30-07-2008, 09:14 AM

Honda in contrast was split over two floors, had 2 concept/design studies plus the FDX eco car, an F1 chassis and a great interactive fully staffed area for kids so M&D could have a good look at the cars. Just a shame that most of the people on the stand we're agency and not Honda staff.

regards, Paul

Paul,

The thing is, for all the names I mentioned above, they are releasing cars that I would like to drive in the next year or so. Now, as you say, it might be the case that the GT-R is no fun to drive, but what on the Honda stand might I look forward to test driving in the next year or so?

I spoke to a Honda person on the stand (believe he was an employee), and he didn't seem to be overenthusiastic (the Corvette boys were much better). Contrast this with (as mentioned in Autocar last week), the launch of the NSX all those years ago.

I guess I am just frustrated as there will come a time when my NSX is getting used less and less (unless I find a way to disable the passenger airbag for junior), and I end up getting a 2+2 - either an Evora (apparently goes round the 'ring in an NSX-R matching sub 8 mins) or a GT-R.
What is the point in Honda becoming dominant in F1 if they have nothing special for the road?
As an aside, I am starting to think the timing is bad for the next NSX if we are heading for a global downturn.

NSX 2000
30-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Interesting Paul!

You mention something which has frustrated/annoyed me for years and years at the Goodwood Festival of Speed - the use of agency staff on Honda stands.

Why do they do this????

I have both spoken to people on the stand & stood and eves-dropped on conversations & really, these people do not have the foggiest idea about the brand or the vehicles they are suposedly representing.

I imagine there is a significant cost in putting together a stand at these shows, so why oh why then staff it with muppets who have no interest beyond ticking boxes on a form and extracting contact details from potential customers?

(Quite why I should care so much about what Honda do to promote themselves is something of a mystery even to me!)

It is not just Honda, it's all the big car makers, you will only get true company staff members on the small volume or high value stuff such as Bentley or Westfield. If your lucky you may just get a coperate bod willing to talk to you on the bigger stands but very unlikely.

Kevin
30-07-2008, 09:53 AM
When I worked at Vauxhall, the staff used to get to volunteer to work on the show stands. Maybe nobody wants to give up their weekends for free anymore?

simonprelude
30-07-2008, 10:59 AM
The lady at Goodwood I was chatting to on the Honda stand is supposed to be there all week at the motorshow, she was pretty enthusiastic and knowledgeable on all things Honda.

Senninha
30-07-2008, 11:07 AM
.........Quite why I should care so much about what Honda do to promote themselves is something of a mystery even to me!........

For me its because I used to sell Honda's and still want to see them being successful. However, IMHO they are still missing a few key models / options

- Civic hybrid technology in different body styles - second only yo the new Accord for show enquiries - new model styled a bit like the Prius due soon
- Civic Tourer - old model aerodeck always sold well and continues to do so in used market
- Accord Coupe - if they truly want to compete with Audi / BMW
- Auto on diesel with min 5 speed and available in all models
- R versions with semi auto and deisel or hybrid options
- higher power diesels for the R's and SH-AWD models
- SH-AWD for the Accord range

Deliver this lot in a timely fashion and I'm sure there will be plenty of choice for all who wish to stay loyal to the brand.

the staff used to get to volunteer to work on the show stands
I used to do this when they were 'selling' shows! I was there for the Ballade / Integra launch and the following show for the Civic DL/GL 3 door range and closed several deals! :D This was also in the era when Honda didn't discount their product.

As an aside, I am starting to think the timing is bad for the next NSX if we are heading for a global downturn.

We've been there before and it will happen again. If the products are right and the service is good, people will still buy good products.

Steps of passion soapbox ........:proud:

regards, Paul

Ferris Bueller
01-08-2008, 09:32 PM

I think that's their press car.

ETA. Press car was RO03 WYF if that's any help.

Nick Graves
02-08-2008, 09:56 AM

Ooh, NIOP NA2 targa!

That's rare!

NSA
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I thought the Honda stand at the motorshow was great, but I was a bit disappointed they didn't drive the NSX properly, it didn't do more than 5mph in the show. I think it would be original to put satisfied Honda owners on the stands.

Senninha
02-08-2008, 08:54 PM

I think thats Rob's car (Boomin33) ... if I'm right then we have another NIOP Targa on the roads .... very tempting if that comes onto the market!

Boomin33
02-08-2008, 10:45 PM

yep. Ro03 = mine.

Funny, was just telling wife that can't track this car for the reason:

not that it's a £35K car I could write off... but for the fact the car I have is virtually irreplaceable.. was the 04 IOP at Japfest.. mine and this one now.

is that 3 IOP facelifts in the Uk? in case ever have to replace, i hope not!

another day in London, at pace. err. got lots of looks