PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in France waiting for tyres

NSA
16-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I had a blow-out about ten miles out of Le Mans on Sunday and I am currently in Paris waiting for new tyres which 'should' arrive tomorrow! 215/45/16s are like rocking horse **** here. Thankfully the rest of the car is OK.

If it helps anybody in future, this is how to get a new front 215/45/16 tyre for a 1997 NSX in France if you don't have European breakdown cover:

1. Clear the next two days in your diary
2. If it is a Sunday, do NOTHING apart from drive at 80kmh towards your destination on your space saver, or get drunk if you are already there. Maybe visit www.allopneus.com and think about which tyre you are going to buy as a replacement and where you are going to have it delivered. EVERYTHING is closed on a Sunday.
3. If it is a bank holiday (such as Bastille Day on 14th July), see #2. If it is Bastille Day, find a town or village with fireworks and a street party. EVERYTHING is closed on bank holidays, but the B day parties are great.
4. If it is <12pm and a working day, get to the internet (extremely hard to find outside of Paris unless you bring a laptop and use WiFi) quickly and order new tyres from www.allopneus.com for express delivery to a service station near you. Spend the rest of the day getting drunk. Your tyres should arrive the following day <1pm.
5. If it is 12-2pm and a working day, do NOTHING. Everything is closed for lunch.
6. If it is >2pm and a working day, do a bit of investigation to assure yourself there is no other way to order 215/45/16s. I tried and I don't think there is unless you pay a Renault dealer €250 for each tyre. Outfits similar to Kwik-Fit do not hold these tyres in stock and have zero interest in ordering them. If you order your tyres online after 12pm, they will take TWO days to arrive, NOT the overnight service indicated on allopneus.com (ask me how I know).
7. Wait for tyres to arrive.
8. Have tyres fitted.
9. Drive on / home.

Steps eight and nine are theoretical; I am at step seven and my tyres should be here tomorrow. I eventually ordered four new Dunlops for £430, which is actually a good price, and about the only silver lining in this sorry tale.

Lessons learned the hard way:

1. Get European breakdown cover for next time I drive on the continent
2. Bring a laptop next time I drive on the continent
3. Do not attempt to achieve anything on a Sunday or bank holiday in France

If anybody knows a quicker way to replace 215/45/16s in France, please tell me. I didn't want to change to 225/40/16s, which a few people have done.

On a lighter note; the Le Mans Classic was great. I saw Kevin there, another two NSXs, had a couple of laps around the circuit, and met the guy who runs Chaters booksellers and has got an NSX but has never heard about this forum. I was surprised to see there wasn't a Honda club area, which is a real shame and something I will try to address for the 2010 Classic.

Senninha
16-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry for your misfortune and I hope 8 & 9 work out ok!

Be sure to share your 2010 plans as I plan on going to my first Classic Le mans.

In 2009, I hope to be supporting the new Acura at the 24hrs

Safe onward journey

regards, Paul

menfou
16-07-2008, 10:07 PM
It's forbiden to blow out a tire in France on sunday :D
The best, is to know somebody in France to help you ;)

TheSebringOne
16-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortunes, have safe journey home. Sound advice for anyone travelling to and from France especially when Le Mans is on!

eclipse1501
17-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I had a blow-out about ten miles out of Le Mans on Sunday and I am currently in Paris waiting for new tyres which 'should' arrive tomorrow! 215/45/16s are like rocking horse **** here. Thankfully the rest of the car is OK.

If it helps anybody in future, this is how to get a new front 215/45/16 tyre for a 1997 NSX in France if you don't have European breakdown cover:

1. Clear the next two days in your diary
2. If it is a Sunday, do NOTHING apart from drive at 80kmh towards your destination on your space saver, or get drunk if you are already there. Maybe visit www.allopneus.com (http://www.allopneus.com) and think about which tyre you are going to buy as a replacement and where you are going to have it delivered. EVERYTHING is closed on a Sunday.
3. If it is a bank holiday (such as Bastille Day on 14th July), see #2. If it is Bastille Day, find a town or village with fireworks and a street party. EVERYTHING is closed on bank holidays, but the B day parties are great.
4. If it is <12pm and a working day, get to the internet (extremely hard to find outside of Paris unless you bring a laptop and use WiFi) quickly and order new tyres from www.allopneus.com (http://www.allopneus.com) for express delivery to a service station near you. Spend the rest of the day getting drunk. Your tyres should arrive the following day <1pm.
5. If it is 12-2pm and a working day, do NOTHING. Everything is closed for lunch.
6. If it is >2pm and a working day, do a bit of investigation to assure yourself there is no other way to order 215/45/16s. I tried and I don't think there is unless you pay a Renault dealer €250 for each tyre. Outfits similar to Kwik-Fit do not hold these tyres in stock and have zero interest in ordering them. If you order your tyres online after 12pm, they will take TWO days to arrive, NOT the overnight service indicated on allopneus.com (ask me how I know).
7. Wait for tyres to arrive.
8. Have tyres fitted.
9. Drive on / home.

Steps eight and nine are theoretical; I am at step seven and my tyres should be here tomorrow. I eventually ordered four new Dunlops for £430, which is actually a good price, and about the only silver lining in this sorry tale.

Lessons learned the hard way:

1. Get European breakdown cover for next time I drive on the continent
2. Bring a laptop next time I drive on the continent
3. Do not attempt to achieve anything on a Sunday or bank holiday in France

If anybody knows a quicker way to replace 215/45/16s in France, please tell me. I didn't want to change to 225/40/16s, which a few people have done.

On a lighter note; the Le Mans Classic was great. I saw Kevin there, another two NSXs, had a couple of laps around the circuit, and met the guy who runs Chaters booksellers and has got an NSX but has never heard about this forum. I was surprised to see there wasn't a Honda club area, which is a real shame and something I will try to address for the 2010 Classic.

Was the tyre faulty at all....what make/age???? or should there have been a preface to your story perhaps......make sure all tyres are roadworthy before setting off to France. I once lost a 165/13 caravan tyre approaching the Pyrenees (about 15 years ago or more now) and that cost me 12 hours and £75 in those days....ouch!:angry:

NSA
18-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Half my tyres arrived on Thursday. Luckily the front two, so I drove to Calais then home. I think what caused the tyre failure was scuffing against one of the plastic shrouds inside the wheel arch when the wheel was on full right lock. The plastic shroud has scuff marks on it and the edge is quite sharp so it could have scraped the tyre shoulder. There is no sign of similar damage on the passenger side.

I am going to paint part of the offending shroud to see if it scrapes the tyre again and then will either pin it back or cut out a section. I will post pics later if the explanation is not clear.

Kevin
18-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Well that's a long time sitting around not doing much. In the same, time we have travelled Bordeaux (drank loads of red wine), travelled around Epernay (drank loads of Champagne), and arrived home today.

Le Mans was excellent. I would of liked some more modern cars though. I know it's meant to be a classic event, but something in the 80's would of been nice to see.

NSA
24-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Fitted two rear Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres yesterday. Worth noting that I always thought the Dunlop 8080s that I previously had looked a bit skinny on the wheel, but the Sport Maxxes look a lot better. Worked out at £125 each including fitting from Blackcircles.com.

I didn't replace my blown-out Bridgestone with the same tyre because they were on 4/5 day delivery times in France, so I now have a front left side Bridgestone RE 040 215/45/16 for sale if anybody is interested to keep as a spare. It's in very good condition with a lot of tread left. £40, photos to follow, can deliver if near London or Nottingham. I think the retail price is about £90 each.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2mw7dc3.jpg

NSA
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
To add to previous instructions if you get stuck in France: I noticed over the weekend that the 2003+ Toyota MR2 comes with 215/45/16s as standard, and I found on the internet a number of MR2, Scooby, Mini forums discussing 215/45/16s as either standard fitments or replacements, so it might make sense to approach these dealers in an emergency.