PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - possible NSX purchase

maxf
27-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi everyone,

Some of you might know me from Pistonheads. I have just sold my Elise and am thinking of moving into NSX ownership (have some other options too, but NSX seems very probable).

I have seen a car for sale which I am interested in, but would appreciate some views on the price first.

Its a 1996 UK car and is a Targa. It has FHSH and 47,000 miles - it appears to be very well looked after (although Ive not seen it in the metal yet). He is asking just shy of £24,000 for it - but obviously there will be a bit of negotiation (hopefully).

A more general question as well - do any of you receive any negative attention in your cars? I'll be using it daily and leaving it at the station (with lots of more expensive cars, but few rarer). Are they are target for thieves?

Any opinions welcome!

Thanks
Max

DamianW
28-04-2005, 08:00 AM
I made the switch from Elise (had S1, then S2) to NSX. In some ways they're chalk and cheese, in others there are some similarities. Anyway, guess you probably know that!

That sounds a very fair price to me actually, if I were selling that car I wouldn't be expecting to haggle much at that.

MattS
28-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi Max,

That seems like quite a good price to me for a manual car - as long as it doesn't have any dodgy history. Remember to check if anything expensive needs doing soon such as cambelt change, new tyres etc.

As regards 'negative attention': I've not had any - plenty of people have asked what it is at petrol stations etc. I think the Honda badge may help prevent spiteful acts. I would be a bit careful where you park it though - you don't want to pick up any dings or scratches in that aluminium bodywork...

I don't actually think that they're that nickable - they're too rare and conspicuous to get rid of easily. Especially if they're bright orange like mine!

Good luck

Matt

maxf
03-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Hmmm... saw the car at the weekend. Its incredibly tidy, but some things were not quite as I expected.

The 'new' clutch was actually done 20,000 miles ago!

The 'new' cambelt was done in 2001!

The car has only done 4000 miles since March 2004 but has not had a service (so is overdue for 2 services - given 6 month intervals). It was supposedly off the road, so missing a service isn't the end of the world, but would certainly need a good going over asap IMO.

Any thoughts now - given the new information?

BrownBear
03-05-2005, 10:15 AM
The car may still be sound - I think the original service intervals were extended to 6000miles/1 year (ICBW) anyway - perhaps the price reflects that the history is not entirely complete?

If the servicing worries you (but everything else is ok), maybe you could suggest that a condition of sale is to put it in for a full service at his expense - this way any issues should be picked up and resolved for you and you'll be reassured that the car is fine. Don't expect him to move on the price as well, though, if you do...

maxf
03-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks,

I spoke to the supplying dealer who said not to worry about the 'missing' interim service - but that it would need doing asap as it's over a year since the last one.

The trouble is the chap thinks it is the best NSX in the world and doesnt seem to actually want to sell - so I doubt he would put it through a service. I'm concerned about buying a car which has been layed up and then using it as a daily driver -certainly without it having a comprehensive 'open chequebook' service first.

He has also seen quite a few NSXs for sale at more than his was advertised for - thinking his is very cheap. Trouble is, I've been tracking them and the same ones seem to sit around for agood while.

Its all pointing to walking away from the car but I'll put the 'he services' proposal to him and see how it goes. Of course - the car had no interest for 6 weeks, but the day before I went to see it somebody saw it and offered £250 below asking price - but he told them no as he wanted me to see it! Hmmm...

BrownBear
03-05-2005, 11:25 AM
If someone's offered him £250 under price and you put the 'he services' proposal to him, I think he's just going to sell it to the other guy..

Never mind- there are others out there, don't worry.

The thing with 'not wanting to sell' is a difficult one - I've suffered from the same accusations as well . My 97 with 25Kmiles is (still) up for sale, but I will not take offers - I believe it's up for what it's worth. People always want to 'deal' and 'make an offer' but ultimately it's a two way thing - While people say it's only worth what someone will pay, it's not worth it to me to sell at under its value - I'd rather keep it. So, I can sort of understand why the guy thinks that he's not going to move much on £24K. Not trying to have a go, or anything, just trying to give you the other side of the story..

Cheers

maxf
03-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I agree - but I do tend to try and leave a bit of room to haggle in my asking price. That way everyone thinks they are winning.

I would wonder why the deal wasn't done with this other buyer? I seriously wouldn't have even considered letting the guy walk away with an offer that close to the asking price on the table - I'd have done the deal there and then. Especially as he didn't know 100% that I was even going to go and see the car. I'm sceptical this other buyer even exists to be honest.

Lots of cars out there though as you say - shame I'm not looking for an auto or I'd have bought one ages ago!

BrownBear
03-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Maybe it was one of those 'I have another buyer' stories that dealers sometimes tell you just to put you under pressure so you'll commit to it? :roll: