PDA

View Full Version : New Car Suggestions

jaytip
09-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Can you folks suggest/recommend any cars for me after the NSX is gone?
Here are the guide lines,
Diesel,
4 door (for easy access with the baby seat),
reliable,
medium size,
economical,
about 6K budget.
I don't like people carriers(other than the S-max which is too big for my needs) and i don't like 4x4's
My thoughts are heading toward an Audi A2 1.4TDI. 50+MPG and quite roomy inside with hopefully good build quality and reliability.

All suggestions appeciated.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Senninha
10-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Ivor,

A selection of mainstream vehicles should be available at that budget.

A quick search on Autotrader shows Focus, Mondeo, Citroen C5, Passat as all falling into reach. A Passat Tdi tourer would be my first choice

HTH, Paul

TheSebringOne
10-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Jaytip you didn't mention age or mileage? Can the budget stretch to an early new model Accord CTDI? I love the shape of the A2, futuristic when introduced, but quite dear to fix and alu bodied like the NSX! Is it not too small? So much more classier than those A Class!

jaytip
10-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Jaytip you didn't mention age or mileage? Can the budget stretch to an early new model Accord CTDI? I love the shape of the A2, futuristic when introduced, but quite dear to fix and alu bodied like the NSX! Is it not too small? So much more classier than those A Class!
Funny you should say that because i'm going to test drive this one tomorrow afternoon.What the ad doesn't mention is that it also has factory fitted sat-nav.I got the salesman down to 8K today and he says he may be able to move a little more on it,so i will find out tomorrow.
http://sinclairdirect.co.uk/Vehicles/Used-Cars/Used-Honda-Accord-22-CDTi-Executive-Bridgend-29191004.html#Start

Senninha
10-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Ivor,

I have the tourer version and mine has 71k with full history. Things to be wary of when you look at the EX 2mrow

- check the discs have been replaced with OEM items: the diesel have an appetite for them every 40-45k both f&r.
- blue smoke on start up asuming its cold and on the forecourt not warmed up (an old trick). If warm, go back in the morning. If you get smoke then its been run low and may have excessive head wear (mine is due to the garage not replacing the filler cap!!!!)
- drivers seat bolster (but you can fix this now ;))
- even tyre wear particulalry inner edge

Only other niggles I've had is an unusual appetitie for nsf sidelight and osr sidelight bulbs ... very unusal for a Honda.

All this said, its an easy car to drive and live with, can be economical if driven gently and the std spec is good

Oh yes, one final thing, its as quiet in 3rd as it is in 5th so remember to change up

HTH, regards, Paul

jaytip
10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks for that info Paul.
Here is another at the same place which caught my eye.I know Peugeot do good diesels but black puts me off because it's soooooo hard to keep clean.I can get this one for 5.5K
Opinions?
http://sinclairdirect.co.uk/Vehicles/Used-Cars/Used-Peugeot-407-20-HDi-SE-Bridgend-30981004.html#Start

Senninha
11-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Ivor,

Having a dark color isn't that hard once you've prepped and sealed it and wash it carefully.

Haven't driven the 407, but done plenty of miles in 405/6's and they had great chassis and as you say, great diesels.

First observation on the one linked is that it has cloth trim. With my limited experience I would always go for the leather option with babies/kids as it really is so easy to keep clean, not to mention resale benefits

regards, Paul

jaytip
11-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Ended up buying the Accord.Got the dealer down to 7.5K so well happy with that.I will be picking it up next weekend.:D

Cheers,

Ivor.

AR
11-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Congratulations, I know in time you'll be back!

TheSebringOne
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Great choice & its an Executive, which is top spec with all the toys & goodies! Mileage good for the price! Plus one thing it will be more reliable than a French Pug ( Sorry nothing against our cousins over the channel)! Touch wood HONDA = reliabilty. :)

Poland_NSX
31-08-2008, 12:32 PM
i vote Citroen c5 or something from new peugeot :cool: