PDA

View Full Version : DC2 or DC5

Senninha
07-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Calling all you Teg R drivers current and old....

I'm due to give back the Accord Company smoker (literally, since at the last service the garage FORGOT to replace the oil cap!! :eek: )

I'm tired of paying this g'ment tax and as we dont need the tourer now Avalyn has a CRV, I'm toying with buying a bit of fun.

As the car will be used for business/commuting as well, I'm leaning towards the DC5 c spec (04 or earlier as dont like the facelift). But is it worth double the ££ over the old favourite DC2?

I spent some time with Dan over the 'ring trip chatting through some very minimal mods to set either model up.

I'm yet to surf the ITR site (assuming one exists) as I wanted to gather some neutral feedback from you guys/girls here.

Finally, as with most things offering some performance motoring, pricing seems to be all over the place so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance, Paul

AR
07-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Paul barry knows his Tegs, and I am sure he will chime in.

For me a nice DC2 will do the job, but were do you find a nice unmolested example???

Cheers,

Ary

Greybloke
07-07-2008, 06:58 PM
No, still don't get it.......................

(What is a DC2 / DC5) is it code for some exotic:rolleyes:

Obviously as I don't even know what it is, I cant offer any guidance!

Senninha
07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
No, still don't get it.......................

(What is a DC2 / DC5) is it code for some exotic:rolleyes:

Obviously as I don't even know what it is, I cant offer any guidance!

Shame on you :) ... model variants of the early (2) and later (5) Honda Integra Type R .... the car that will beat the Civic Type R anyday (well maybe not Barry's Civic!)

dan the man
07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
www.itr-dc2.com and www.itr-dc5.com are the main ones dor each car and each site has same people on a lot owned both etc etc..

My views....................

DC2. amazing piece of kit for what its designed to do. Attck a road like no other FWD car has the right to and have balance and ability beyond its humble beginings.
The engines on the whole are very reliable if looked after (like most things), they rev to 9k and start producing power from 6k.. below that are flat and a whole world away from an NSX.. but in town and bobbing about vtec is not needed and the car pulls fine even in 5th at 30 mph or so.. suspension is not soft but is not hard either, coupled with good seats long journeys are not so bad at all.. just crank the stereo up to overcome the 5 spd box which means the engine is sat at 4.5 to 5k on the motorway. Great MPG out of vtec of course :)

Cheap to buy now and for the money an amzing back road tool.

DC5s...... The tegs gone smooth. Engine noise, road noice and NVH all lessened and the ride is more comfortable. The engine is smoother, the gearchange is easier and as are all the controls. Just a lot easier to live with on the road.

6 sp box makes crusing on the motorway very easy and quiet--- u do get wind noise at 160 GPS tho ;)

The interior is so much modern in the DC5 i instantly fell in love..what a cockpit.. great dials, great seats AGAIN and a whole much nicer feel than the DC2. Gearchange closer to hand, steeringwheel proper nice and all switchgear modern and very nicely designed and operated imo..

On the road the DC5 is still a very good drive but missed some of the tippytoeness of the DC2, still planted and grippy and fun but not the same EDGE as a DC2..but what has?

The engine is a masterclass.. more pull from 4k than a DC2 and the way it hits the limiter still accelerating so smoothly used to make my spine tingle everytime. Like a release of energy the K20 is..it just keeps on going and going.. the DC2 is like a switch- BAM ! Its in at 6k and kinda stays theb same till 9k pulling at the same rate.. The DC5 gets faster and faster if u will........

DC5 still very good MPG for the performance and as far as i can tell..still a bombproof engine if looked after ! time will tell.. many a DC2 on 200k still revving to 9k :)

For everyday use and a backroad blat the DC5 is wonderfull.. a few choise mods (geometry, brakes ( as bit wooden but work fine) and maybe zorst for some fruityness) make it feel so much better and act better.

The DC2 out the box can be left alone..so good on braking and everything honda got it so right. but again with mods feels even beter- but rawer. But does not feel special inside as getting on a bit and the engine can be tiring having to try and KILL IT to get anywhere fast :)

i wanted a track car and the DC2 fits the bill.. light, easy on tires and fuel and cheaper to buy in the first place.

I do miss the DC5 for picking Laura up and going to see blackpool lights or out for tea etc as such a nice car i could have so much fun with.. but i didnt wana butcher one...! and cost a lot more than a DC2.

Heres some pics of my Red DC5 as she was a beaut...... u all know what my DC2 looks like

dan the man
07-07-2008, 08:06 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/DTMDC5K20/DSCF0123.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/DTMDC5K20/DSCF0020.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/DTMDC5K20/06052007383.jpg

recognise the hotel ?
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/DTMDC5K20/DSCF0030.jpg

dan the man
07-07-2008, 08:10 PM
C PACK = Folding mirros button, Rear tints and rear wash wipe. Its a comfort pack so makes life easier if u think about it.

B PACK i think is tints and mirrors but unsure.

But remember on the DC5s everything was an option. Folding mirros, tints, wiper, start button, silver trim, parcel shelf etc etc..

so cars can come with ANY combination! Tints set the car off the tho and mirros button well handy.

Paul its all down to cost..go drive examples.. see whats about for the money and see what u wana do. If u can put up with more noise and harshness and old interior a DC2 is a great car.

simonprelude
07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Just sold our DC2 :)

Needed just about every bush replacing, engine rebuild, cam belt, new clutch and flywheel etc. 150k miles and still got best part of £3k for it.

If I was looking again at one, I'd be tempted with a DC5.

dan the man
07-07-2008, 08:18 PM
when i had both...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/DTMDC5K20/DSCF0014.jpg

Id take both out 1 after another to see which i liked most.. but both i liked in differnet ways.

I didnt miss my DC2 when i had the 5 on its own tho... but now im back in one so go figure...:D

TheQuietOne
07-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Paul,

We had a '98 ITR, one of the original Championship White cars - number 150 to be precise proof attached next to my '99 VTi Civic!

I have never driven a DC5 but I can tell you that I would love another DC2 one day. It was without doubt the most amazing car I have ever driven in context. I will never forget the day the Honda salesman too us round the Worcester ring road in the car we bought - just impossible to believe a FWD car can grip so well, and the B18's are legendary as you will well know!

Good luck looking - I'm very jealous :D

HTH, Matt.

Lankstarr
07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Paul,

I've had a DC2 and can only say good thingd about it. You can get later low mileage ones for good money (not as good as an ATR but I wont confuse the issue :))

The best word to describe it is RAW. I'm not sure about teh DC5 but if it's remotely like the civic it's a lot more refined than the DC2... but maybe you want this from a commuter. That said if you want comfort I strongly suggest you look at an ATR, not as much fun as my DC2 but I've had one of these as well and loved it to bits.

FWIW my mate wors on DC2s a lot. He is seeing quite a few abused examples needings serious engine work or rebuilds. He says the best one out there is the 98+JDM DC2 as they're bulletproof. If I was looking for another I think I'd take a low mileage one/two owner car that some old guy has cherished. IMO all you need is an induction kit to make it sounds awesome!

Luke

dan the man
08-07-2008, 06:06 AM
[QUOTE=TheQuietOne;46244

HTH, Matt.[/QUOTE]

good regs !

TheQuietOne
08-07-2008, 06:42 AM
good regs !

Always liked them! Still have both on retention actually - and was digging out the photos to put them up for sales on the forums and eBay!

Back on track - Paul looks like you'll have to have one of each and an ATR too now...:D

NSX 2000
08-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Luke beat me to it but I would of said an Accord Type R as well. At Jamesfest 2007 the ATR club was on the bank near to our stand and I thought they looked the dogs do dads! They did a very nice metallic dark blue colour. Very much a wolf in sheeps clothing car.

Senninha
08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Paul looks like you'll have to have one of each and an ATR too now...:D

THanx for the feedback so far and Dan, thanx for the links. I've run a DC2 previously and spent some track time in one so pretty sure I know what I'd be buying into. The issue for me is finding one in good shape for what I intend to use for. If it was primarily a track rat then a DC2 would be on the drive without further consideration. Luke, appreciate the steer to late JDM spec.

The DC5 is not a car I've driven but like the appeal of ownership etc.

I drove the ATR several times when it was launched. HAve to say that for me it didn't feel that special. I like the Wolf in Sheeps clothing styling (would probably loose the spoiler), but didn't like the narrow vtec range.

Also, b4 it pops up as a suggestion, the CTR is not in scope due to its dreadful steering, which may be fine on track but is useless for a daily driver.

keep your thoughts coming guys, Thanx

dan the man
08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
CTRs still a good car (EP3) but little thing scan be bettered.. like steering, LSD, seats, power, looks.. ahh which is where the DC5 steps in.

The ctrs steering does play catch up ive found.. left to right to left very fast it gets firm while it sorts itself out

TheSebringOne
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Sorry but my knowledge is not massive on ITR, CTR or ATR! But how about the best compromise, the imported 4 door saloon CTR? Think 222 bhp, 150mph, 0-60 under 6 & much better than the new CTR, but rare & still quite expensive as only been around couple of year? Some say its like a four door NSX R, think Bazza was thinking of importing one when selling his NA1 Type R?

dan the man
10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
THE FD2 is an amzing car but 18K minium is not what i think paul wnats to spend?..

be nice if he did id well blag a lap in it.. or 3 :D

Senninha
10-07-2008, 09:49 PM
THE FD2 is an amzing car but 18K minium is not what i think paul wnats to spend?..

be nice if he did id well blag a lap in it.. or 3 :D

I've read its too heavily focussed towards the track which would kill it for me anyway unless it can be softened off a little?

It is too rich at 18k but I do know where theres one for 16.5 :) which might just be in reach

dan the man
30-07-2008, 09:41 PM
oops just seen this.. get it!

Super 4 door coupe which of course can be softenes somehow? ohlins maybe..

please get one :)