PDA

View Full Version : British GP moves to Donnington from 2010!

WhyOne?
04-07-2008, 10:39 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7489662.stm

Excellent news!

The last race I saw there was the hastily arranged European GP when Senna drove what many people believe to be the greatest ever single GP lap!

simonprelude
04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Well I will definitely be there for that ;)

Steve
04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Fantastic for me, no more mud... and only 20mins up the road. about time.

TheSebringOne
04-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Great its nearer to me too! A bit sad Silverstone lost out, but they've had years to modernise it and the horrid traffic/road infrastructure is legendary! Maybe in 2020 it may take its turn again!?

eclipse1501
06-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Anyone fancy moving Glastonbury to the NEC? Be much easier for folks yes..... F1 fans must remember this was another Bernie´s Mates deal...notice the queue of F1 pilots knocking down his door complaining about Silverstone over the last few years aka Montreal? I was lucky enough to work in F3000 and witnessed F1 close up and, nothing against Donny, but Silverstone is and always will be considered the home of British Motorsport....traffic, mud, warts and all. So it was not just sad and strange the BRDC could not get the money together (strange Bernie couldn´t sort it either...he can everything else aside from Max - his best mate) but its also a sad satement about Gordon Brown and anybody else who values British racing heritage. Ive got a signed copy of Bernie´s book at the side of my bed lent to me by a former President of Le Mans and he was telling about some of Bernie´s less well known business deals before he got into motorsport. Seems a leopard never changes its spots....until the price is right.;)

AR
06-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Anyone fancy moving Glastonbury to the NEC? Be much easier for folks yes..... F1 fans must remember this was another Bernie´s Mates deal...notice the queue of F1 pilots knocking down his door complaining about Silverstone over the last few years aka Montreal? I was lucky enough to work in F3000 and witnessed F1 close up and, nothing against Donny, but Silverstone is and always will be considered the home of British Motorsport....traffic, mud, warts and all. So it was not just sad and strange the BRDC could not get the money together (strange Bernie couldn´t sort it either...he can everything else aside from Max - his best mate) but its also a sad satement about Gordon Brown and anybody else who values British racing heritage. Ive got a signed copy of Bernie´s book at the side of my bed lent to me by a former President of Le Mans and he was telling about some of Bernie´s less well known business deals before he got into motorsport. Seems a leopard never changes its spots....until the price is right.;)

I don't know any particulars but I could smell the brown envelope factor in there somewhere!

eclipse1501
06-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't know any particulars but I could smell the brown envelope factor in there somewhere!

Did you see the interview on ITV when they asked Donny CEO where the money was coming from for the improvements. I think you could just see part of Bernie's right arm off camera up Simon Gilletts shirt pulling the strings. Then Bernie himself started back tracking saying maybe Silverstone will actually "do a deal" with Donnington. Watch out for a small guy with a tall blond around your local Western Union branch. That cash transfer slip will be worth a fortune if anyone can get a copy and somehow the GP stays at Silverstone after a "contract" has already been signed with Gillett. And on the subject of Downtoearthwithabumpdreams, Well done Rubens/Honda on a well overdue podium.