PDA

View Full Version : new here: advice required

350GT
25-04-2005, 02:20 PM
no longer having the need for 4 seats it's time for a little self indulgence. I'm interested in buying a 1991 import that i've spotted, 11k miles, manual, reputabley unmarked original condition, priced at £26k. Any advice on what I should be looking out for would be appreciated.

ctrlaltdelboy
25-04-2005, 09:11 PM
seems massively overpriced to me

how about this one (http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573) for £15,500?

BabyNSX
26-04-2005, 12:15 AM
how about this - 1996 model in immaculate condition with 57k miles
price is negotiable

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530

AR
26-04-2005, 01:01 AM
It all depends in what you want the car for. I am looking for one myself ( post 94, manual coupe or T preferably low miles ) I would advice you to read as much as you can from the NSXprime FAQ and forums, as well as asking questions on this board. I know it might sound silly, but do not buy the first one you see, if it is that nice leave a small deposit, but do check out all others in your list. Stay away from automatics, they are less powerful and are hard to sell. Unless you are a gambling man, try to get one with a documented service history.

It might seem like an easy process, but believe me is not, getting the right one is part of the fun.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

BrownBear
26-04-2005, 12:40 PM
seems massively overpriced to me

how about this one (http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573) for £15,500?

Are you sure? Some people would be willing to pay a premium for a 'original' version of the car with only 11,000 miles? OK the dealer is putting it up for a profit, so there's some leeway on the price, you can be sure...

It's the one on this page, isn't it?

http://www.wickedkit.com/shop/index.php?p_mfr=11

As with everything, it's worth what someone will pay.. (I have no interest in the sale of this car, don't know the owner etc etc )

I wouldn't buy a 14 year old car with 11000 miles on it, though - hasn't had enough use to keep everything moving (if that makes sense)

AR's Advice is the way to go - read lots about them and check the history...

BabyNSX
26-04-2005, 01:42 PM
i remember seeing this car on autotrader for most of 2004, it was in a Honda main dealer then. was around the same price

BrownBear
26-04-2005, 02:06 PM
...not that I believe everything Stealerships say, but the wording of the advert implies this one is still on a boat from Japan

'I have seen and touched and examined it personaly in Japan before I bought it and it is just stunning in every way, due in end of May and can be reserved with a deposit'

Caveat Emptor.. ;)

BabyNSX
26-04-2005, 03:05 PM
ok i probably saw a diferent one then, but it was red, a 1991, with c10k miles on it. personally, i prefer the later wheels and power steering, hence i bought a 1996

jaytip
27-04-2005, 12:50 AM
The car has had 14 years of life in japan!!! anything could have happened to it.The milage may be out by tens of thousands of miles.
I would not touch it at that price(but thats me :D )

AR
27-04-2005, 07:21 AM
You know with some of those imports is not: Yume no Chikara but " You may not see Car " . Just me and my bad sense of humor. At the right price and from a trusted person, maybe, but from a company, too many variables mate, better off with a UK car IMO.

350GT
27-04-2005, 09:37 AM
thanks for the input... appreciated.
The car in question is the one at wickedkit. The other one mentioned in autotrader last year, is a different car. That one was being sold by a main dealer on behalf of a customer who wouldn't take a PX.
Ultra low miles was my priority, but as Brownbear pointed out, that may be a problem given the cars age. Never thought about that implecation.

BrownBear
27-04-2005, 11:56 AM
If you don't mind me asking, why is low-miles an issue (over and above the fact that it's always nice to have the freshest car you can afford)? I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to understand your priorities..

NSX's aren't inherently unreliable cars - a car with 50K on it can be just as good or better than one with 20K, no less prone to go wrong and cheaper too!

MattS
27-04-2005, 12:46 PM
I agree with Joe the Brown Bear. A car with higher miles, as long as it has an exemplary FSH shouldn't be a concern. Most of the miles were probably done on the motorway, although I gather the NSX is an excellent day-to-day choice. Either way, as long as it's been looked after, had the right oil changes etc. I wouldn't worry too much.

A recent article I read stated that a FSH was more important than mileage.

Also remember that a car like the NSX was built to an extremely high standard with very high tolerances - what seem like high miles for a BMW, Saab, Ford etc. shouldn't be such a concern for an NSX. Ferrari/Maserati it 'aint!!

I bought a 1998 car with about 85k miles on it. That averages at about 12000 miles/year. If I do 3000 miles/year for the next 5 years that makes an average of about 7,700 miles/year for the age of the car. I suppose my point is that if you only intend to use it on nice sunny weekends, the initial high mileage issue will become a non-issue over time.

350GT
28-04-2005, 11:22 AM
If you don't mind me asking, why is low-miles an issue (over and above the fact that it's always nice to have the freshest car you can afford)? I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to understand your priorities..

I do about 12k miles p.a. and I lack self discipline. I bought a R34 GTR with the intention of using it for week ends and social outings, even went out and bought a Golf GTI as an every day car.(this was in the good old days before the latest company car tax rules) Two years on, the 34 had 20k on the clock. Just couldn't help myself. :) :)

BrownBear
28-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Nothing wrong with that at all - they're there to be driven.

Thing is, you pay a premium for very low mileage cars which you know you're going to then 'spend' (ie: lose in depreciation) if you put lots of miles on it. If you buy a car with 50K+ miles, you can put another 20-30K on it and the depreciation will be much much less (as long as you service it, etc).

Clive
30-04-2005, 09:26 AM
"quote: seems massively overpriced to me

Are you sure? Some people would be willing to pay a premium for a 'original' version of the car with only 11,000 miles? OK the dealer is putting it up for a profit, so there's some leeway on the price, you can be sure... "

The car does seem far too expensive, expecially for an import which will have a service history in Japanese. As others say, there is little you can do to verify the mileage. By way of comparison, I recently bought a one owner 1996 coupe manual with 7000 dry miles on it from a main dealer. Although there is a risk with such cars 'drying out', the fact that the cosmetic condition was like new, including underneath, meant a premium was worth paying. But, the final price I paid was not very much more than the import is up for. There are good UK cars out there, and mileage should not be an issue, but you have to look around to ensure you get the best. If you told me last year that I would have found a mint pop-up lights model for under £30k I'd have told you that it wasn't possible. But it was.

Clive
:wink:

Ben
10-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey guys,

I've taken my NSX from 50k miles, to its current tally of 135k miles.

Honestly now - I would say, dont care a jot about how many miles are on the dial, just check the condition of the car and service history.

I say that from the experience of driving my high mileage car every day, but a couple of months ago, I decided to look at a later 'low' mileage car.

Without reservation, I left knowing my old beast was a MUCH better car than the newer car I tested.

Good luck,
Ben