PDA

View Full Version : Auto to Manual Conversion

666NA1
17-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi all,

I currently have in my stable a NA1 Auto RHD NSX, although there aren't many complaints regarding the power, the feel of the manual is something that I am longing for. Was just toying with the idea of supercharging & FI as well, but that I'll keep on a different thread. So was hoping to convert my car to a manual tranny.

Can anyone tell me what would be involved in terms of parts to be changed for a conversion of this nature to be accomplished.

If this is too impossible to be done, can someone give me a balpark figure of the maximum bhp on wheel that the bone stock auto box can handle without taking a ride up to heaven and beyond.

Your advice and answers are most appreciated

Cheers

NSX 2000
17-06-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm not aware of any current owner on this board who has done a conversion but could be wrong?
I'm pretty sure that the car amo is breaking for spares was an auto to manual conversion so you could always go and have a look at it?
HTH
Paul.
PS NSX prime might be a better place to find answers???

simonprelude
17-06-2008, 10:21 AM
I know of someone that drag races an Auto NSX, his figures to be honest seem pretty poor.
If it was me I would look at selling your car and buying a manual.
Far more cost effective.

jaytip
17-06-2008, 11:02 AM
can someone give me a balpark figure of the maximum bhp on wheel that the bone stock auto box can handle without taking a ride up to heaven and beyond.

Hi Mate.Unless i'm mistaken,your car is already at the maximum the auto 'box can take.That is the reason they are 252 BHP and not 276+ BHP like the manuals.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Lankstarr
17-06-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree about going for sale then manual purchase being the best route.

AFAIK SiOfKent's car had this conversion before it was written offf at Japfest last year so it can be done.

L*

666NA1
18-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Hi again,

Firstly thank you all very much for the expedient replies to this thread...

1) NSX2K: Yes I have been reading up on NSX prime and there are a couple of owners running the Comptech SChargers with their auto boxes (Est around 300BHP on wheel) I personlly am curious what is the maximum threshold of this box. If you go to NSX Prime there are some manuals doing ridiculous power, albeit some have reinforcement of some kind, I have read of auto owners who have uprated torque converters & reinforced tranny's. (Level 10

2) Simonp: Yes I do realise getting a manual would be less hassle free, however it is difficult to procure a manual NSX in my country. So the only option would be to have a conversion or live with the auto.

3) Lankstarr: I am curious as to what is required in terms of parts for this procedure as I may be able to source the items from breakers.

BTW guys, take a look at this auto NSX in Prime...and tell me what u think abt it...massive power...

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69099

Again your input is most appreciated.

AR
18-06-2008, 08:13 AM
If you are set on keeping your car, then just do headers and exhaust, and you could gain an extra 20 BHP.

If I was you I would sell it as the conversion can be more headaches than is worth. Off the top of my head:

Gearbox

Pedals

ECU

Master cylinder and slave cylinder

Linkage

Console

Shifter

So is already a few grand!!!

simonprelude
18-06-2008, 08:15 AM
What country are you in, update your profile with the details then all will know in your threads, that way people may be able to help more. :)

2) Simonp: Yes I do realise getting a manual would be less hassle free, however it is difficult to procure a manual NSX in my country. So the only option would be to have a conversion or live with the auto.

AR
18-06-2008, 08:32 AM
What country are you in, update your profile with the details then all will know in your threads, that way people may be able to help more. :)

Also if there are not many NSX in your country, breakers might not have that many wrecked NSX.

666NA1
18-06-2008, 09:47 AM

haha...I'll get to it simon...I'm one of those blokes who are a tad miffed by technology and computers.. :)

FYI I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (if anyone asks its the country above Singapore, you can't imagine how many times I have been asked this question in the educated world..hehe)

Officially there are only 4 manual NSX's in the country the rest being auto's. Total number should be below 40 units in the whole country. So trust me its rare. Your more likely to see a lambo or aston compared to a NSX.

AR: Yes i do understand the hassle involved and trust me if there was a manual i would have bought it ages ago. Your list pretty much is in line with the parts that would be required, which would necessitate me to cource from a breakers overseas for a manual "half-cut" NSX.

Wat's the UK's NSX population like guys? I studied in London and Sheffield for quite sometime in my uni days but was pretty sure I did not see any NSX's around. :)

666NA1
18-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Also if there are not many NSX in your country, breakers might not have that many wrecked NSX.

I have a better chance in hoping for world peace or Bush having a brain...

;)

jaytip
18-06-2008, 11:21 AM
This may sound like a stupid question but can't you import a manual?

amo
18-06-2008, 03:54 PM
hi mate ya simon built it i stripped it
have a few parts left and could send them to you unless you would like to pick them up

if you want
pm me

but gearbox is gone sweden i think lol

thx amo

666NA1
18-06-2008, 05:18 PM
This may sound like a stupid question but can't you import a manual?

my country is world famous for the production of proton cars....hence our beloved govt imposes extreme import taxes on foreign cars (protectionist regime)...100-300% dependant upon criteria...naturally luxury goods like sports cars would not be exempted..(laugh and be merry..)

example: a honda civic 2.0 brand new would cost ard 20K quid, i can think of a lot of cars in the UK that i would rather have for 20K.

not only that u would need to get an automotive permit to bring in a 2nd hand car ...that permit costs around 10K quid to acquire...and that would only apply for cars not exceeding 5 years...

so as u can see, bringing a car into our country is a nightmare...buying one from someone else or a dealer however just means that someone else had to deal with that problem previously...

666NA1
18-06-2008, 05:22 PM
hi mate ya simon built it i stripped it
have a few parts left and could send them to you unless you would like to pick them up

if you want
pm me

but gearbox is gone sweden i think lol

thx amo

well for a conversion to be successful would need the gearbox...LOL..

but thanks for the offer...maybe would get back to you on some other ancillary parts that u might have...

cheers

NSX France
18-06-2008, 05:59 PM
In Japan conversion it's possible at KSP racing Equipment

cool pics but in japanes

http://www.ksp-eng.co.jp/FACTORY/ENGindex.htm

http://tyiz.cool.ne.jp/NSX/ATMTemu/ATMTemu.htm

http://tyiz.cool.ne.jp/NSX/nsx/nsxtuningtop.htm

TheSebringOne
18-06-2008, 09:55 PM
666NA1, regarding your question about the UK NSX population size, I say about 400 are left with about 450 max sold in 14/15 years? Can you help Simon the Stats Prelude!? :)

NSXGB
18-06-2008, 11:15 PM
I know of someone that drag races an Auto NSX.

Is that the guy from Wales?

Midnight Blue
19-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Are the headers and exhaust the same on an auto and manual?

If they are, then presumably you could jump to the manuals 275 bhp with a change of ECU.

Ws the lower power for the manual because the gearbox can't handle 275 or because some misguided product planner thought that people who wanted autos would want a smoother power delivery?

Regards,

Andy

666NA1
19-06-2008, 01:17 AM
In Japan conversion it's possible at KSP racing Equipment

cool pics but in japanes

http://www.ksp-eng.co.jp/FACTORY/ENGindex.htm

http://tyiz.cool.ne.jp/NSX/ATMTemu/ATMTemu.htm

http://tyiz.cool.ne.jp/NSX/nsx/nsxtuningtop.htm

merci bocu NSX France, if only i could read and write japanese...im sure i would have so many questions for them... :)

666NA1
19-06-2008, 01:23 AM
666NA1, regarding your question about the UK NSX population size, I say about 400 are left with about 450 max sold in 14/15 years? Can you help Simon the Stats Prelude!? :)

well thats a pretty sizeable population, but exclusive nevertheless...Sebring..

before opting down the japanese car route i even considered...the following few cars

R34, Supra, 350Z....

However, after driving the NSX for the 1st time....I realised that it may not be the fastest of the lot, but hell doesn't it just blow the rest of them away in terms of the design and handling...(maybe not the v-spec skyline with its 4wd)...

I may still want to get a supra in the future as a fun car and mod it to have big BHP...1000 bhp anyone..

;)

666NA1
19-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Are the headers and exhaust the same on an auto and manual?

If they are, then presumably you could jump to the manuals 275 bhp with a change of ECU.

Ws the lower power for the manual because the gearbox can't handle 275 or because some misguided product planner thought that people who wanted autos would want a smoother power delivery?

Regards,

Andy

I believe Andy that the auto box is good for around 300 bhp on wheel....as we have a couple of NSX's in our country who have successfully achieved this amount without any problems to the gearbox...

I'm not a techincal person by nature, and only look at the facts and results with a pinch of salt...

I have yet to see a stock auto tranny pushing more than 320bhp on a dyno sheet..

666NA1
19-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Anyone in the UK who is running big power, willing to comment on their auto NSX would be most appreciated...

at least we would have concrete real life figures for comparison...

cheers

simonprelude
19-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Not sure where he's from.

Number plate is NSX 15T he runs nitrous and manages high 12's IIRC.

Is that the guy from Wales?