PDA

View Full Version : Broken/Spare A/C compressor

Lankstarr
16-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I nrecently had my a/c compressor replaced - the pulleys are not lined up properly and the garage threw the old one away (despite my asking for it to be kept!)

It was fine for about 2 months then Honda tightened the belt up during the service. On the way home it ripped the belt in half, chucked out some smoke, gave me a heart attack and ended up back at Honda.

Honda assure me it was nothing they have done wrong that caused this and that the belt was too loose before which is why it ran happily. Looking at the three pulleys the crank and little pulley are perfectly alligned and the pulley for the a/c compressor doesn't line up.

Is it Honda's fault... have they bu99ered something up... I don't know! They would like to see an original compressor and clutch etc install so that they can see what the problem is. If anyone has a broken or spare one that I can borrow or buy cheaply then it would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

PS any ideas as to why this is out of line would also be great! The mechanic that swapped it over originally assured me that the compressors and pulley etc were identical.

Honda tried to discuss it with me but I'm just not technical enough to know whether I'm being had!

Kevin
17-06-2008, 04:31 AM
I have one. Actually have two.

One is a new rebuilt unit to go my car. The other is attached to my spare engine. Which you can remove and do whatever with.

You can come over Sunday. It has to be Sunday as I am in the UK this weekend, for this weekend only.

Lankstarr
17-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the offer Kevin - would have worked out well as I could give you your pulley back. Unfortunately I'm tied up all day Sunday so wont be able to make it over.

I hope all is well.

Thanks,

Luke

TheQuietOne
17-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Luke if you can't make it to Kevin's because we're coming down don't let that stop you. i know you have to be somewhere in the evening - but feel free to pop to Kevin's and sort this out in the day time if you like!

If not we could take mine off as there is something wrong with it and use that....:D

Lankstarr
17-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Matt,

I've sent you an email... off you go to check it then!

Luke

eclipse1501
17-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I nrecently had my a/c compressor replaced - the pulleys are not lined up properly and the garage threw the old one away (despite my asking for it to be kept!)

It was fine for about 2 months then Honda tightened the belt up during the service. On the way home it ripped the belt in half, chucked out some smoke, gave me a heart attack and ended up back at Honda.

Honda assure me it was nothing they have done wrong that caused this and that the belt was too loose before which is why it ran happily. Looking at the three pulleys the crank and little pulley are perfectly alligned and the pulley for the a/c compressor doesn't line up.

Is it Honda's fault... have they bu99ered something up... I don't know! They would like to see an original compressor and clutch etc install so that they can see what the problem is. If anyone has a broken or spare one that I can borrow or buy cheaply then it would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

PS any ideas as to why this is out of line would also be great! The mechanic that swapped it over originally assured me that the compressors and pulley etc were identical.

Honda tried to discuss it with me but I'm just not technical enough to know whether I'm being had!

Could you tell me the symptoms you were having with the compressor (yes I guess no cold air!!) as I have a separate thread with an AC issue Iam trying to resolve on my old '91 Acura NSX - without jumping straight into changing the compressor. Mine has been re-gassed but still runs intermitently hot/cold. Hope you can help:)

TheQuietOne
17-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Matt,

I've sent you an email... off you go to check it then!

Luke

Yes sir - well I think Donna seems happy enough to have a puppy on her knee the whole way down to yours on Friday so looks like we'll have the real thing to compare...:)

Lankstarr
18-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Could you tell me the symptoms you were having with the compressor (yes I guess no cold air!!) as I have a separate thread with an AC issue Iam trying to resolve on my old '91 Acura NSX - without jumping straight into changing the compressor. Mine has been re-gassed but still runs intermitently hot/cold. Hope you can help:)

Hi - I saw your thread but drew a blank so didn;t comment!

When the compressor went the a/c stopped completely. When it shed half a belt the a/c still worked. Maybe your belt is slipping and just needs tightening... that said it would probably be squealing like mad if that was the case!

My compressor straight up seized with no warninng signs... maybe you are having those warning signs!?

Luke