PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust issue -Question

Boomin33
04-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Apparently with my exhaust issue. The Downpipe needs to be replaced with all the gaskets etc. Total qoute from chiswick = £800 ( £490 part, rest labour )

Q: if I get a Tubi exhaust, do I need this downpipe? i.e. I don't want to buy a bit I really don't need.

-- though can't see being without the car in the time it takes to find a Tubi..

This plus clutch... my first major bill - £1,800.00

AR
04-06-2008, 02:46 PM
What is the issue mate?

PS Tubi won't fit your car without mods.

Cheers,

Ary

Papalazarou
04-06-2008, 02:56 PM
What is the issue mate?

Cheers,

Ary

Too true; i had to get some single tailpipes fabricated for mine when I changed to the facelift car. You'll also need adaptor pipes, Ary were they included with the original system?

Cheers,

James.

Boomin33
04-06-2008, 03:04 PM
What is the issue mate?
Cheers,
Ary

the issue is that I'm getting blow-by. Matt and Luke heard 'the tractor' at japfest.

I think the two hard runs at Bedford / Castlecombe heated the pipes up a bit.

Honda says that there is a gasket at some join past the manifold; leading to the downpipe. Sounds like all the gaskets and the downpipe need replacing.

I was just thinking that rather than spending £800 on some standard stuff, I should be going for something aftermarket. tbh - take too long to source an aftermarket, so will probably just bite the bullet on getting some repairs on existing.

Insurance company denied the claim for exhaust work under warrantee. go figure eh. ;)

AR
04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Too true; i had to get some single tailpipes fabricated for mine when I changed to the facelift car. You'll also need adaptor pipes, Ary were they included with the original system?

Cheers,

James.

I think so James, best bet will be to call manu at Scuderia.

Cheers,

Ary

TheSebringOne
04-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Why not source part from the US or Bazza if you can wait? :)

Kevin
04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
To go aftermarket on the downpipe will involve complete headers. Cost will be more than the £490. As you have a 3.2 not much improvement will be made by having them.

Boomin33
04-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I was wrong it was the egr / cooling tube ? that needs replacingn + gaskets.

just said go ahead and fix it . give it a new full cluch set-up... be done with it.

Thank god it's a Honda and not a Maser or Ferrrari eh. with dealer £1000 offer on Clutch assembly... it's £1800.00 verse what would have been £5000+? on one of the other brands...

love my car :)

NoelWatson
05-06-2008, 04:49 AM
To go aftermarket on the downpipe will involve complete headers. Cost will be more than the £490. As you have a 3.2 not much improvement will be made by having them.

I though having something like a Taitec will give another ~10bhp?

AR
05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Lots of people have gone aftermarket with 3.2 headers, and gained 5 to 10 BHP. Is it worth it is only up to the owner. For a 3.0 is a no brainer with up to 20 RWHP to be gained with a free flowing exhaust!

indi pearl
05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
So if,like me you have a 3.0 with OEM exhaust system what free flow /header system would give the best increase in power without deafening the neighbours and who would be best to purchase them from.

britlude
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I have 3.0, headers with stock cats and box, noise is pleasant without beeing overly loud and annoying. as for what headers, it depends entirely on what you want to spend, I have the topspeed brand of header, the cheapest, (and as far as some seem to think, the crappiest, but that's down to some comparing apples with oranges, and with a 3yr warranty, who cares!)) but i've nothing but praise for them, and at about $600 you can't got much wrong. if you want to, you can spend shed loads, and still get the same levels of gain.

bottom line is the 3.0 has a cast iron exhaust manifolds that simply don't flow, anything would be an improvement.

AR
05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
if you want to, you can spend shed loads, and still get the same levels of gain.

True

bottom line is the 3.0 has a cast iron exhaust manifolds that simply don't flow, anything would be an improvement.

Not true

:)

Apple and Oranges are not the same.

Cheers,

AR

britlude
05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
whatever....! obviously i know nothing, ignor me!

but if there's an easy 5-10 bhp gain from changing out the exhaust manifolds....

PeteM
05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Well judging from this picture I think it's fair to say that you can see the 3.0 cast manifold wouldn't flow as well as the "tubular" 3.2 manifold.

It does however flow relativley well considering the 3.0 can still produce 270'ish Bhp.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/petem_2006/Nsx/exhaust2.jpg

Just my 2 pence worth !

AR
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/TAITEC/exhaust_headers/TAITECexhaust.jpg

Not only do headers produce a lot more power, they also sound so much better. :)

AR
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
From SOS website:

The TAITEC GT Exhaust Headers feature the superior engineering of equal length primary tube headers at an attractive price. The design of the header system was engineered for maximum efficiency by using equal length primary tubes (other headers do not) and were tuned for optimal mid and top range useable power gain. High quality Japanese engineering and craftsmanship.

TheSebringOne
05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Ary, those Taitec are a piece of art aswell as craftsmanship! These are the ones you are selling aren't you? Quickly, is there any gains for this system for a 3.2 or its purely for 3.0 as it lets the engine breathe & flow better? The 3.2 already has a freeier flowing system/headers already.