PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear synchro problem?

trackdemon
12-04-2005, 03:33 PM
My car has recently developed a slight issue when selecting 5th, just wondering if any of you know what the problem may be / what the likely fix (and cost) is?

In simple terms if I shift from 4th to 5th at highish engine revs (ie, >4k rpm) I get a distinct graunch from the box which can be felt through the stuck. This is easliy mitigated by double de-clutching, not ideal but it works at the moment. I'm worried that if I keep using the car its going to suddenly dump the contents of the box or is this just (as I suspect) a weak synchro? It shifts to 5th just fine at lower revs (<3k rpm)

jaytip
12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
my car does exactly the same when changing from 2nd to 3rd at high revs,and like yours it is ok at low speed.regarding cost-i havn't got a clue!! but mine has been like it since i bought the car three years ago and hasn't got any worse, if that helps ease your mind any.
Ivor.

MattS
13-04-2005, 07:24 AM
I had a good chat with Alan Davies when having a service last week (recommended by other posters here). He's the NSX man at Trident Honda (0208 398 9588) and has been working on NSX's since 1991.

He said that he would be happy if NSX owners phoned him with problems as he might be able to shed some light on their woes. Trident seem keen to service more NSX's.

I'll try to persuade him to get online and look at this website, but in the meantime it might be worth giving him a ring. He came across as very knowledgeable, approachable and enthusiastic about NSX's.

MattS
13-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Spoke to Alan today whilst having my O2 sensor fitted. He reckons it sounds like a syncro problem as you suggested.

He suggested that you give him a ring on 0208 339 3795 or 07941 646120.

This is his home number and he said that he's happy for NSXCB members/ owners to give him a ring if they want technical advice or have problems they can't sort out. This is obviously a generous gesture on his part and not to be abused!

lotusolly
13-04-2005, 05:17 PM
If Alan Davies is giving out his home number, is that a hint that he may be prepaired to carry out some private work at a preferential rate to a Honda dealer price?

Steve

MattS
13-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Don't think so, but I didn't ask.

He's incredibly enthusiastic about NSX's though and I think he would rather work on them than Civics and Accords!!

AR
14-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Sounds very similar to when my 300ZX had a synchro problem.

osiris_x11
15-04-2005, 03:52 AM
hmmm... I recall reading on www.nsxprime.com and other import car forums about using GM synchromesh (?) transmission fluid, added to the Honda transmission fluid. This doesn't correct the problem fully, but it reduces the synchro wear & harsh feedback from the shifts. Try a "google" on it.

mcibuk
18-04-2005, 05:17 PM
I had exactly this problem 12 months ago when i bought my car (1996 - 20,000 miles). I had the 5th gear synchro replaced under insurance warranty scheme but the cost was around £990. Labour was included and was around 4 hours.
I had an OEM clutch done at the same time which saved me th elabour cost.
Gear change is now perfect.