PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Conversion

mart155
19-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Following on from the speedo accuracy thread, does any one know what I would need to do to make the following changes.

I have a JDM which has had the speedo converted to MPH but still has the original instrument panel.
If I can get hold of a UK spec instrument panel, do I need to make any changes to the conversion that has been done.

Do I actually have to change the whole thing or can I just change the speedo dial.
Hope this makes sense.

I need a new voltage meter too

Cheers
Martin.

Sudesh
19-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I have done a few MPH conversions over the years on many different imports. I have also installed UK clusters into JDM car's and 99% of the time once the UK cluster was installed it automatically started to read in MPH and the 110 limiter disappared.

In the case where your JDM cluster has been "converted" to read in MPH, what will be installed is a "electronic pulse chip" and if you were going to install a UK cluster I would first remove the chip, install the UK cluster and test it to see if it works ok in MPH without it.

Reason I would do this first is incase that, with the JDM speedo loom being chipped, then the UK cluster also having its MPH chip, there could be some type of overload. So safer to test without the JDM chip first.

I also have a JDM NSX and done the conversion myself so if you would like some help or get a proper chat about it, I'll PM you my number and give me a call.

If you dont mind me asking, why are you thinking of a UK cluster?

mart155
19-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks Sudesh, I got you PM and will keep hold of you number if thats ok.
I will then be able to give you a call if I manage to get hold of a UK instrument panel.

As for the reason, I just thought it would look better and be slightly easier to read. Oh, and I am fed up with people asking me 'Is that reading in MPH or Kilometres' when I take them in my car. :)

Of course, what would be even better would be to get hold of a digital display. I don't know if there any that would fit the NSX.:D

Sudesh
19-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah no problem give me a call anytime.

If your cluster has been converted to MPH surely its as easy to read as the UK one? Also if you take your JDM cluster out and carefully open it you can place a small MPH sticker over the KMH, thats usualy what most do when they convert JDM cars.

I actually prefer the look of the JDM speedo as it makes use of most of the speedo face as apposed to the UK speedo ending at roughly 3oclock.

I think amo had a UK cluster for sale.

mart155
19-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I think he sold it ages ago but I will ask him. Cheers

jaytip
19-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Of course, what would be even better would be to get hold of a digital display. I don't know if there any that would fit the NSX.:D
I know Ary used to have a stack display in the Type-R.He changed over to a regular dash,and then put the stack one up for sale.I don't know if he ever sold it.Send him a PM.

Cheers,

Ivor.

mart155
20-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks Jaytip but I'm not overly keen on the Stack one.
Does anyone know if the S2000 one would work/fit in the NSX.
Now that would be really cool !!:D