PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying an S2000

mart155
13-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi all,
Do we have any members here who can offer any advice on buying an S2000.
My eldest son is thinking about buying one but we don't really know much about them.
What are the differences betwen a standard S2K and the GT model.
Are there any know problems to look out for.
What are the running costs like, servicing, parts etc.
Should he go for the latest model he can afford or is an older model a good buy.

His budget is around £15 - 16k

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Martin.

PS
If anyone is going to be at Japfest, we can chat about it on Saturday.

NSX 2000
13-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Martin, quite a few members on here have had or still have one, some with very intresting stories to tell, my wife had one and drove it into a brick wall but she can tell you that story on saturday.
We would have another S2000 at a drop of a hat, the only warning I would give is this car more than any other car I know needs the correct rubber and at the right pressure other wise the handling can be seriously compromised.
HTH
Paul.

Senninha
13-05-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.s2000-4u.co.uk/

Plenty of choice here.

I had an 04 and it was a typical Honda, bullet proof for 20k hard miles in the year.

Earlier models have an edgier handling, preferred by some, but responsible for many ending up in the breakers. The 04+ had cosmetic upgrades, more interior space, improved gearbox and revised suspension.

GT is designation for the hard top models. IMO I would save the cash and not have the hard top as I rarely had the roof up as the a/c and heating are second to none.

HTH, Paul

mart155
13-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks Paul(s)
Will speak to you at the 'fest'

TangoMan
14-05-2008, 05:56 AM
You should be able to pick up a good 04 for 16k, but it will be cheaper to tax an earlier model.

The biggest issue with the S2k is handling, it handles very well but when taken over the edge is very difficult to recover. This is easily resolved though by correct tyres and getting the geometry set up correctly.

Take a trip over to the S2k stand at the Japfest and have a chat with Ian, he is the chairman of S2kUK and will be more than happy to help.

You will find some well kept cars here for sale;

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=120

and there are some mixed thoughts on S2000 4U here;

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275427&st=300&#entry6763252

simonprelude
14-05-2008, 07:32 AM
I have a MY2000 and use it when I don't want to put miles on the NSX.

The issue that has come up mainly is seized bushes, if your son is thinking about anything other than daily driving I would suggest trying to find one that has already had the bushes sorted out by someone like Chris Franklin. Quite a few member cars have had this done, more of a preventative maintenance than anything else.

Road Fund Licence for anything newer than 01/03/01 is likely to be £400 a year, so keep that in mind when buying. Also get a few insurance quotes done first, the S2000 is double the NSX insurance for me. Both same mileage and garaged.

Lankstarr
14-05-2008, 11:00 AM
15-16k !! tell him to get an NSX and save lots of money on insurance!

Only problem is he wont find a targa for that!

L*