PDA

View Full Version : Changing battery and other weight saving measures.

AR
08-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Just wondering if any members had changed their batteries and done away with the engine cover and the spare tyre , jack, etc ( ouch ) in order to save weight. If so what did you use to replace them other than an AA membership for the spare tyre :D

NSXGB
08-04-2005, 11:02 AM
On the subject of removing the spare tyre and weight savings on the front end, are there any merits to keeping a little of that weight over the front end?

I was thinking of removing the front wheel and carrying a tube of 'Tyre Weld' in the boot as mention in another thread....does anyone know if there is a limit on the tyre size the Tyre Weld can cope with?

jaytip
08-04-2005, 12:37 PM
well i just hope that tyre weld is ok for 18" wheels because that is what is on the back of my car and it won't fit in the boot :shock:

with regard to weight saving, both Darrens and Kevins cars are on the slim-fast program.they may be able to help you.

I don't think there would be a problem with handling due to weight reduction on the front end.unless i'm mistaken the NSX-R has no spare tyre,at least not in the front,and from what i have read,that handles superb.

DamianW
08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't think there would be a problem with handling due to weight reduction on the front end.unless i'm mistaken the NSX-R has no spare tyre,at least not in the front,and from what i have read,that handles superb.

Disagree.

NSX-R is a complete package. Weight reduction from all over the car, tricked up suspension etc.

I would be concerned about changing the weight distribution by removing the spare from the front. Besides which, doesn't the car drive rather well as it is? Whats this obsession with Japanese motors and having to modify them?

AR
08-04-2005, 03:33 PM

Disagree.

NSX-R is a complete package. Weight reduction from all over the car, tricked up suspension etc.

I would be concerned about changing the weight distribution by removing the spare from the front. Besides which, doesn't the car drive rather well as it is? Whats this obsession with Japanese motors and having to modify them?

Well that is no different than some of us who train regularly to stay in top shape and improve our performance :D

ctrlaltdelboy
08-04-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure there's some pics in the photo gallery of my mini battery and empty under bonnet area if you take a look

08-04-2005, 07:25 PM
When you put a passenger in the car (or take one out) you shift the weight distribution with about 70kg (or 86kg in my case...), the car’s handling must not be ruined by that, maybe, haven’t tried it.
But removing the spare (removing weight) can’t be all that bad, racing car teams spend millions trying to remove weight.
With respect to Damian (he may well have a point), removing weight is always good.

I would also like to know if a tube of Tyre Weld really works.
peter

ctrlaltdelboy
08-04-2005, 08:10 PM
hey Peter

sorry I missed you on Saturday after lappage in Germany, there's a couple of nice pics of you driving the Ring on my webpage - I'll give you a shout next time I go and we can lap in convoy.

DamianW
09-04-2005, 10:54 AM
You could be right, the weight of the spare is unlikely to be all that significant in the grand scheme of things.

Modern cars are all setup with the assumption there is only a driver present, no passenger (I seem to recall anyway). So yes I imagine having a passenger may well affect the cars handling. However the passenger is centrally located, which helps.

modarr
11-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Lose all the weight you can, even if its more out of the front than the rear.
The weight distribution thing can sound scary but all you need to do is use the weight shifting effect of braking, lifting off, accelerating etc etc to put grip where you want it when you want it.